U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 PM
 
2,663 posts, read 770,811 times
Reputation: 2233

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
e

My point is that one poor doctor is not an indictment against all doctors - they are merely a bad doctor.

You applied your situation to "Doctors" across the board.

I'm really glad you learned supplements can have problems and not to trust everyone who tries to sell you something, I'm glad you left the bad doctor and got a better one.
I didn't learn that from this experience. I never thought supplements could not have problems, and I never trusted everyone who tries to sell me something.

Where you got those ideas I can't imagine.

I decided to try Chinese medicine, it seemed like a reasonable thing to try. I had long conversations with the acupuncturist and he was sure it would be helpful. It turns out he was just another ignorant and/or unethical health provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2017, 08:49 PM
 
2,567 posts, read 3,068,621 times
Reputation: 6616
Did you tell your doc that you were taking a ?secret "Chinese medicine" for the 8 months before your testing?

You should always tell your doctor every medicine, over the counter medicine, vitamin, supplement, herb etc... that you are taking at every visit. It's best when you can just come in with a list, and hand it to them.

I've found that you have to hand-hold a lot of doctors and be your own advocate. Don't assume anything. You need to be on top of what you are doing, tell them everything, ask a lot of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 PM
 
2,663 posts, read 770,811 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Did you tell your doc that you were taking a ?secret "Chinese medicine" for the 8 months before your testing?

You should always tell your doctor every medicine, over the counter medicine, vitamin, supplement, herb etc... that you are taking at every visit. It's best when you can just come in with a list, and hand it to them.

I've found that you have to hand-hold a lot of doctors and be your own advocate. Don't assume anything. You need to be on top of what you are doing, tell them everything, ask a lot of questions.
Oh of course I do. But they only give you about 15 minutes, and it's hard to cram all your questions in so little time.

I also have noticed they don't necessarily pay careful attention to what you're saying, because they are so busy. If you have any problems that are complicated or not the same as everyone else, they don't want to hear too much about it.

The doctor I saw the other day seemed pretty good, because at least he doesn't try to push drugs. But I could not have a long complicated conversation with him. There is just too much information and it can't be explained instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 03:58 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 2,447,464 times
Reputation: 21060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

Not all doctors are ignorant, but many are.
It takes a bit of research for find a good doctor. I think many get caught up in greed and like the "kick backs" from Pharmaceutical Companies.

As I get older my cholesterol goes up. My good cholesterol is high. I was really border line with all my test results on whether I should take a statin. We decided on a low dosage--I don't want a stroke. My first statin brought down my levels too fast causing depression. I switched and now I am doing okay.

Took me awhile to find an excellent doctor--I have one now, I just love her. She is a common sense, good doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 06:45 AM
 
6,626 posts, read 6,425,648 times
Reputation: 5033
You might have gotten the same medical advice if you had gone to the same doctor. You have two high cholesterol readings in a row.

Since the numbers aren't broken out, the result is probably total cholesterol and not LDL cholesterol as the numbers would be ridiculously high for LDL. The total cholesterol is thus 318 and 293, but we know nothing about LDL and HDL. It may just be that one doctor is more aggressive towards cholesterol readings than the other. Since she's prone to complaining about statins and doctors, it may just be that the second doctor is going to be less aggressive or is going to wait for further results that confirm the need for treatment with statins.

Doctors have much less time to spend with patients now. That is the way things are unless your doctor is in concierge medicine and limits the number of patients he sees as is the case with my primary doctor. You have to be ready with all the background information when you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 AM
 
2,663 posts, read 770,811 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You might have gotten the same medical advice if you had gone to the same doctor. You have two high cholesterol readings in a row.

Since the numbers aren't broken out, the result is probably total cholesterol and not LDL cholesterol as the numbers would be ridiculously high for LDL. The total cholesterol is thus 318 and 293, but we know nothing about LDL and HDL. It may just be that one doctor is more aggressive towards cholesterol readings than the other. Since she's prone to complaining about statins and doctors, it may just be that the second doctor is going to be less aggressive or is going to wait for further results that confirm the need for treatment with statins.

Doctors have much less time to spend with patients now. That is the way things are unless your doctor is in concierge medicine and limits the number of patients he sees as is the case with my primary doctor. You have to be ready with all the background information when you visit.
LDL is 164 and HDL is 110. The doctor I saw the other day said that's great.

But I think it will be much lower after a few more months, will see if my insurance will cover more tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 AM
 
2,663 posts, read 770,811 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
It takes a bit of research for find a good doctor. I think many get caught up in greed and like the "kick backs" from Pharmaceutical Companies.

As I get older my cholesterol goes up. My good cholesterol is high. I was really border line with all my test results on whether I should take a statin. We decided on a low dosage--I don't want a stroke. My first statin brought down my levels too fast causing depression. I switched and now I am doing okay.

Took me awhile to find an excellent doctor--I have one now, I just love her. She is a common sense, good doctor.
Since your HDL is high, you probably get no benefit whatsoever from statins. It's just that so many people are taking them, and doctors are led to believe they are good for everyone.

The research has contradictory results, but most of the time it shows no benefit at all for someone like you. And no one knows what damage could be caused by taking even a low dose over long periods of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 AM
 
2,663 posts, read 770,811 times
Reputation: 2233
Research has shown that statins have a small benefit for patients who are known to have artery disease. This is only over a 5 year period, and long-term results are probably not known.

For everyone else, little or no benefit has been shown. Yet there are guidelines that recommend statins for a very large percentage of middle-aged and older patients.

It is known that heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes 2 are largely modern industrial lifestyle diseases. Yet the medical industry PR says they are mostly genetic, and a natural result of aging.

That is NOT true. And it unfortunately leads people to think their lifestyle is not extremely important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 08:58 AM
 
17,085 posts, read 5,446,573 times
Reputation: 11664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
LDL is 164 and HDL is 110. The doctor I saw the other day said that's great.

But I think it will be much lower after a few more months, will see if my insurance will cover more tests.
Looking at my Nov 2016 labs, my LDL 101 and HDL 75, Triglycerides 78, total cholesterol 191, last labs was 239. I like my cholesterol at 200.

I still believe there is a LOT to the homocysteine issue and I continue with supps to bring that level down to a more optimal level. She didn't take this test as I believe insurance has changed so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 AM
 
2,663 posts, read 770,811 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Looking at my Nov 2016 labs, my LDL 101 and HDL 75, Triglycerides 78, total cholesterol 191, last labs was 239. I like my cholesterol at 200.

I still believe there is a LOT to the homocysteine issue and I continue with supps to bring that level down to a more optimal level. She didn't take this test as I believe insurance has changed so much.
I don't think doctors know what the numbers mean for a specific patient at any given time. There are many possible reasons for HDL or LDL to go up or down. And HDL or LDL is of course an over-simplification.

My LDL is now 164, which is considered high, but it could be because I unknowingly took steroids. Meanwhile, my HDL is 110, so the ratio is extremely low. The doctor I saw the other day said all my test result are great, except Lyme disease. He said everything else looked like it was from a young person. My life style is MUCH better than most Americans.

So who the heck knows. I am not worried about cholesterol now, just Lyme disease and allergies. But can't do much about any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top