U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 02:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,500,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Doctors have much less time to spend with patients now.
You have to find a good doctor. The one I have now--feel like her best friend when I walk in, she patiently listens to me as if I am her only patient of the day. If I get a test done--she calls me and takes her time with me. They are out there...just have to find them.

I have no problem changing doctors when I feel like I am not important enough. There are plenty around, no need to be just a number to them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 03:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 822,020 times
I had a doctor for 18 months who patiently listened to me, for a whole 15 minutes a month. Only cost me $200 a visit, not covered by insurance.

Gradually I began to realize he only pretended to listened, barely heard anything I said!

I think one thing most doctors count on is the great majority of American patients will have pretty much the same lifestyle diseases. So they can just give them all the same generic lifestyle advice (which they will ignore) and prescribe the same kinds of drugs (statins, pain-killers, anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, diabetes, etc.)

That makes a difficult job so much easier -- one size fits all medical care.

Someone like me, who always had a good lifestyle, but has Lyme disease, allergies, etc., is too much trouble. Just pretend to listen, give them pills, and collect the fee.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:36 PM

312 posts, read 195,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I had a doctor for 18 months who patiently listened to me, for a whole 15 minutes a month. Only cost me $200 a visit, not covered by insurance.

Gradually I began to realize he only pretended to listened, barely heard anything I said!

I think one thing most doctors count on is the great majority of American patients will have pretty much the same lifestyle diseases. So they can just give them all the same generic lifestyle advice (which they will ignore) and prescribe the same kinds of drugs (statins, pain-killers, anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, diabetes, etc.)

That makes a difficult job so much easier -- one size fits all medical care.

Someone like me, who always had a good lifestyle, but has Lyme disease, allergies, etc., is too much trouble. Just pretend to listen, give them pills, and collect the fee.
AAAA-MEN!

As far as having a good lifestyle, doing everything you're supposed to and not doing anything you're not supposed to goes: It reminds me of the sign on the Springfield Dentistry on The Simpsons.

It said: No matter how you're brushing, you're doing it wrong"

Doctor's say the same crap. Diet, exercise doesn't matter. You need more or maybe you're doing too much? That's what your problem is.

(Although, just what is it you're supposed to do or not do, eat or not eat, changes every 15 minutes so it's a moving target)

Old 05-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
AAAA-MEN!

As far as having a good lifestyle, doing everything you're supposed to and not doing anything you're not supposed to goes: It reminds me of the sign on the Springfield Dentistry on The Simpsons.

It said: No matter how you're brushing, you're doing it wrong"

Doctor's say the same crap. Diet, exercise doesn't matter. You need more or maybe you're doing too much? That's what your problem is.

(Although, just what is it you're supposed to do or not do, eat or not eat, changes every 15 minutes so it's a moving target)
I think it's simple -- natural food is better, artificial food is poison.

A lifestyle that involves sitting all day at work, sitting in the car, sitting at home, is not natural, is not healthy.

Really not hard to figure out.

Of course, you can do everything as naturally as possible and still get sick, because there is such a thing as bad luck. Also, we can't easily avoid the polluted air and water, and the toxic pesticides in food.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,500,046 times
Quote:
Just pretend to listen, give them pills, and collect the fee.
You have to get a better doctor. Even my last doctor was not a pill pusher. He was more of a holistic approach guy. I get you on the pretending to listen--my old doctor that I had for over 25 years got that way--it was time for me to move on. My new one--she is the same about being a bit holistic. She has a private practice with another doctor. I do not like large group doctors.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:13 PM

The doctor who pretended to listen to me for 18 months was an MD and a naturopath. I thought I was so lucky to find that kind of doctor out in the suburbs, who had Saturday appointments.

As it turned out, all of us who had Saturday appointments had to wait at least THREE HOURS!!

After seeing this doctor for about a year, still with no results only promises, I realized he did not know what my symptoms were! He asked me every time, and I answered every time. Finally, one day, he asked what my symptoms were and I said "The same." He asked me to describe them anyway. I said I describe the symptoms every time, it is always the same. He got angry AT ME!!

Why was I stupid enough to trust this doctor? Suffering a lot and confused and not knowing any place else to go.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM

17,853 posts, read 5,768,426 times
Why not join a Lyme Support group, people get more support and help from other members than a lot of MD's. I'm on another group and I recall there is a Lyme section. I'll look for it and PM you with it.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why not join a Lyme Support group, people get more support and help from other members than a lot of MD's. I'm on another group and I recall there is a Lyme section. I'll look for it and PM you with it.
No, I was not seeing that doctor because of Lyme. He told me my skin problem was a dustmite allergy, and he said the Lyme was making it hard to cure.

After about a year he decided I also had liver toxicity (I think all holistic doctors think everyone has that). But to this doctor, liver toxicity required intravenous supplements. Being stupid I guess, I went and got the IVs every week, until I realized I had spent $10,000 on them!!

And I don't think I had liver toxicity anyway. And my new doctor says dustmites are not causing my skin problem, even though I do have very high dustmite IgE.

The holistic doctor also told me, several times that LYME COULD KILL ME. Oh well, I just hope it doesn't kill me slowly.

Some doctors make a fortune by scaring gullible patients. I am not afraid of dying. I am afraid of suffering, or of running out of money. And boy, at those prices it wouldn't take very long.

The only reason I agreed to take more antibiotics was he said the immunotherapy and homeopathy would not work as long as I still had Lyme. He told me that after I had been paying him for immunotherapy and homeopathy for almost a year!!

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM

4,577 posts, read 10,389,634 times
Quote:
Research has shown that statins have a small benefit for patients who are known to have artery disease. This is only over a 5 year period, and long-term results are probably not known.

For everyone else, little or no benefit has been shown. Yet there are guidelines that recommend statins for a very large percentage of middle-aged and older patients.

It is known that heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes 2 are largely modern industrial lifestyle diseases. Yet the medical industry PR says they are mostly genetic, and a natural result of aging.

That is NOT true. And it unfortunately leads people to think their lifestyle is not extremely important.
You keep throwing out the term "research " without actually linking any studies apparently in an attempt to make it sound like you know what you are talking about....you don't that is very clear
Moderator cut: rude "opinions " are what they and NOT well informed opinions at that

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-01-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 03:20 PM

2,742 posts, read 1,841,168 times
This is the true indicator of "risk" for artery/heart disease and inflammation.

What is "LDL pattern B"?

There are 2 types of LDL.
Type A (large buoyant)
*normal, not involved in damage repair.
*last 2 days in the body

Type B (small dense)
*because these are small, they can enter the damaged wall of the artery and are involved in the clotting and plaquing.
*last 5 days

Look at your triglycerides - if they are high and your HDL is low, then you have more type B LDL. But if your triglycerides are low and high HDL, then you have type a.
Saturated fats will increase type A and sugars will increase type B.
LOW CARB, HIGH DIET DIETS CAN SWITCH YOUR TYPE B TO TYPE A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness