U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM

17,852 posts, read 5,758,872 times

Advertisements

Ok I'm looking at Lipid panel test results from last Nov.

HDL is 75

Tri is 78

Lab comments say Optimal.

What does this make me, Type A?

Doctor didn't test for LDL results...

I eat low carb, higher fats, but don't eat a lot of fat period. But some.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 04:54 PM

17,628 posts, read 16,816,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is the true indicator of "risk" for artery/heart disease and inflammation.

What is "LDL pattern B"?

There are 2 types of LDL.
Type A (large buoyant)
*normal, not involved in damage repair.
*last 2 days in the body

Type B (small dense)
*because these are small, they can enter the damaged wall of the artery and are involved in the clotting and plaquing.
*last 5 days

Look at your triglycerides - if they are high and your HDL is low, then you have more type B LDL. But if your triglycerides are low and high HDL, then you have type a.
Saturated fats will increase type A and sugars will increase type B.
LOW CARB, HIGH DIET DIETS CAN SWITCH YOUR TYPE B TO TYPE A.
I'll read the article and take a look at my latest numbers but I wonder what it would mean if you used to have high triglycerides but lowered them with fish oil so they are normal. But your HDL is high, so is your LDL. I guess that doesn't help matters because my dr still wants me on cholesterol medication of some sort. Trouble is, I am now getting sick from the new (non statin) medication too.

Previously he said that I didn't need medication because I have no family history of heart trouble or high cholesterol. Diet has nothing to do with it either--I went vegetarian for six months and the numbers didn't change at all! This gets very confusing.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 PM

2,843 posts, read 820,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'll read the article and take a look at my latest numbers but I wonder what it would mean if you used to have high triglycerides but lowered them with fish oil so they are normal. But your HDL is high, so is your LDL. I guess that doesn't help matters because my dr still wants me on cholesterol medication of some sort. Trouble is, I am now getting sick from the new (non statin) medication too.

Previously he said that I didn't need medication because I have no family history of heart trouble or high cholesterol. Diet has nothing to do with it either--I went vegetarian for six months and the numbers didn't change at all! This gets very confusing.
What is your LDL, HDL, triglycerides? Why did your doctor give you medication now, if he said you didn't need it previously?

They change the guidelines, and there are different guidelines. Some of them only consider the total number. Sometimes age is considered the most important factor.

But most of the research shows no benefit for cholesterol drugs, except a 5 year benefit has been shown for patients with known heart disease. I think long term results are probably not known.

There is a lot of controversy about who benefits from cholesterol drugs (which are usually statins). But I think the drug industry has a lot of influence over health news reports, and over doctors and health insurers.

I have noticed that every time research shows positive results for statins, it's a headline on every news outlet. On the other hand, negative results are harder to find, even though there are a lot of them.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM

17,628 posts, read 16,816,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
What is your LDL, HDL, triglycerides? Why did your doctor give you medication now, if he said you didn't need it previously?

They change the guidelines, and there are different guidelines. Some of them only consider the total number. Sometimes age is considered the most important factor.

But most of the research shows no benefit for cholesterol drugs, except a 5 year benefit has been shown for patients with known heart disease. I think long term results are probably not known.

There is a lot of controversy about who benefits from cholesterol drugs (which are usually statins). But I think the drug industry has a lot of influence over health news reports, and over doctors and health insurers.

I have noticed that every time research shows positive results for statins, it's a headline on every news outlet. On the other hand, negative results are harder to find, even though there are a lot of them.
My total cholesterol has been really high for about 15 years that I know of! Statins were impossible--too much pain. They had me try diet but it had no effect. I've changed drs a few times because of moving so things kind of got lost in the shuffle but the current dr takes into account the ratio. He did get my tryglycerides down with fish oil and said that since I had no family history, I could forget about medication for cholesterol.

Last time I went, he put me on cholesterol medication, after saying the previous time that I wasn't at that much risk. I think I probably am at some risk due to being over age 70 and having LDL 204. My numbers are --total= 286, HDL=73, LDL=204. Ratio=4. Now this business about large and small LDL raises more questions, I guess. I don't know if it's worth trying to get him to test me for that too.

Edited--Dr doesn't give you printed test results anymore so I didn't know until I checked my written notes but apparently last time my total was 300!!!!!!!!! I have no idea what the ratio is now but that's why he now wants me on medication. It must be just going higher the older I get?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM

4,874 posts, read 2,498,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Edited--Dr doesn't give you printed test results anymore so I didn't know until I checked my written notes but apparently last time my total was 300!!!!!!!!! I have no idea what the ratio is now but that's why he now wants me on medication. It must be just going higher the older I get?
Every Lab I have my blood tests done at--my results are online for me to see.

My cholesterol gets higher the older I get. My doctor said that is common. I am in the 300's.

My Aunt had high cholesterol her entire life--she was never treated for it---she died at 100 years old

Old 05-31-2017, 04:14 PM

Our body needs cholesterol and this whole FEAR drives people to drugs.

When I was involved heavily with the Weston Price Foundation and attended monthly meetings at our local health food store, the leader of the group was a tiny thin lady and she would bring tubs of coconut oil to sell to us who brought our own jars. This was about the time the coconut oil explosion got big in the U.S. She talked about her chol being 300. As I've said the word cholesterol was never around in the parents lives and they lived into 90's...no drugs for sure.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 PM

2,843 posts, read 820,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Our body needs cholesterol and this whole FEAR drives people to drugs.

When I was involved heavily with the Weston Price Foundation and attended monthly meetings at our local health food store, the leader of the group was a tiny thin lady and she would bring tubs of coconut oil to sell to us who brought our own jars. This was about the time the coconut oil explosion got big in the U.S. She talked about her chol being 300. As I've said the word cholesterol was never around in the parents lives and they lived into 90's...no drugs for sure.
The idea that cholesterol must be low for good health is based on unscientific reasoning. Yes, scientists can be unscientific!

They observed large amounts of cholesterol in the arteries of people who died from heart attacks. They assumed the cholesterol caused the heart attacks. They assumed that if the cholesterol could be lowered, heart attacks could be prevented.

Those assumptions were not valid, and it is now known that they are not valid.

Still, millions of people are taking cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:27 PM

Yes millions do support pharma and their fears and it will not change, somewhat, but the power of pharma/govt/insurance worlds.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:12 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,321,707 times
In 2010 I was incredibly healthy. I went on regular 10 to 12 mile hikes, I rode my bike at least 10 miles a day... AFTER working for 8 hours, and I felt great. Every morning before work I did 100+ reps on my stair stepper. I worked for a real estate and property management office so was also out and about in the car a lot, driving to properties to do walk throughs. My doctor though it would be a good idea to get a full blood panel done. Next thing I hear is that I AM going to die, not "might die," but WILL die, if I don't start taking Simvastatin. For a year I was on a very low dose and felt okay. My cholesterol levels were good, but the doctor decided to DOUBLE my dosage. Within about two weeks I noticed weakness starting in my legs, my sleep pattern was disrupted, my eyes became blurred and my ability to focus was off. I mentioned it to the doctor and was told it was nothing to worry about, that it was probably the Slo-Niacin that he had prescribed along with the higher dose of statins. However, after about a month my legs became very painful and started to collapse under me. I complained to the doctor again. He told me again that it WASN'T the statins and that I needed to exercise MORE to shake it off. Turns out that this advice was contradictory to what is recommended. By the time he was done with me with his very bad advice I could no longer use my stair stepper, ride my bike, hike or drive my car. I could barely walk from one room to another. I was in so much pain that I woke the family up with my screams in the middle of the night, and my immune system was ruined. The statin caused me to go into Type 2 diabetes. I had to leave my good paying job, and sell my bike and car. What this doctor did to me was criminal. The fact that he cannot be sued because he is protected by Kaiser adds insult to injury. I am still in chronic terrible pain. Kaiser fought me all the way on getting the tests to prove the statin damage. They refused to approve a second opinion from a non-Kaiser doctor. My new doctor was also through Kaiser, but she was very much on my side and she insisted that Kaiser approve a deep muscle biopsy and that a non-Kaiser lab also check the results. On the day of the biopsy I was numbed and prepped by the surgeon and then asked to check the procedure orders. I noticed that it said I was getting a "superficial biopsy" and NOT the deep muscle one I needed, because someone higher up in Kaiser changed my doctor's orders. When Kaiser's lab came back with their results they said nothing was wrong. I asked them about the UCLA results and they tried to claim that UCLA didn't get a sample. I called UCLA and they had a result stating that Simvastatin had mutated my DNA, causing a rare condition where muscle fibers turn to a glass-like substance and break. I told my doctor that UCLA had the results and that they had sent them to Kaiser's lab, who tried to hide them.

Last year I lost three friends from my statin support group who all died from complications of statin damage. One was Dr. Duane Graveline, former NASA Astronaut and doctor, who was working on finding a way to reverse this horrific damage.

For anyone with a smart-mouth remark about patients putting all the blame on doctors... these people pay a lot of money for an education that is supposed to prepare them to take care of our health. We should be able to trust them, and when your doctor says "you are going to die" it is quite scary. Then add on top the inability to afford to go elsewhere for a second opinion and you are pretty well left to trusting this person who should know better.

What I know is this.... by the time I discontinued the medication, after taking the doctor's wrong advice, I was permanently damaged. Six years later I am still damaged, still in chronic crippling pain and my immune system is so shot that I am currently suffering from flu for the THIRD time in three months. My recent attempt to hold down a job outside of the home was a painful disaster, yet Social Security doesn't want to accept that I am indeed disabled.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM

21,198 posts, read 25,661,980 times
Millions of people take statins with no side effects at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness