Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,644,584 times

Advertisements

Where do you get this good4nothin --- I'd change to good4somthin.

I hear what you are saying about grandparents and parents, grands were old country too and parents didn't see "family doctor" much at all ... the modern medicine world exploded...good and not good stuff. I'm my parents' first child so maybe a lot of their thinking rubbed off on me, I know it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,394,928 times
Another thing -- doctors have very little time for searching online. If you are a patient, YOU are much more interested in your problem than your doctor is. So YOU are more likely to invest the time in researching it. I know some of you will deny this, but patients are very likely to become as or more knowledgeable about their problem than their doctor is.

And now we have access to much more information. No, it is not all accurate, we have to sort it out somehow. We find lots of confusion and contradictions.

But you know what? Go to several different doctors and you will also find contradictions and confusion.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:20 AM

18,555 posts, read 7,320,306 times
Stop eating carbs for 4 months, and then check your cholesterol. I doubt statins will even be in the discussion at that point.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:48 AM

4,782 posts, read 2,612,836 times
and what doctor told you to take Chinese herbs?..that's the one I'd be getting rid of..

Old 05-27-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
and what doctor told you to take Chinese herbs?..that's the one I'd be getting rid of..
I decided to try it after going to several doctors for skin problems and none were any help. Chinese herbal medicine should be all natural, and should be based on ancient wisdom. However, as I found out, you should not trust any health care provider. I got it from an acupuncturist, who ordered it from a Chinese pharmacy. I don't know if the acupuncturist was aware it may have contained steroids.

I had also trusted a holistic MD, who charged me many thousands of dollars for intravenous supplements. Now I think he was almost a crook, just trying to get money from his patients.

Mainstream doctors will, very often, try to get you on harmful drugs. Holistic doctors will, probably very often, sell you extremely expensive supplements. And I found out that supposedly all natural healthy herbal medicine might contain pharmaceuticals.

All more reasons why we have to be responsible for our own health.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:50 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,456,415 times
Some years ago, my older doctor retired, and sold his practice to a younger guy. So I went to see the younger guy for something minor. I was about 40 at the time.

First thing, he takes my BP. 203 over 115! I felt this was unusual, as it had never beeen even modestly high before that, and this seemed really high to me. He decided to schedule some tests, and wrote me a script for about $200 of tests (cheaper, back then). After the visit, he sent his nurse in, to re-take my BP. Same thing - 203 over 115.

On the way home, I stopped at the ER of a local hospital, where they had a "free BP' policy for the community. A nurse took it, and found 115 over 75 (more my usual) - and I was really riled up by then! I told her what had happened, so she disconnected a machine from another patient and monitored me with that for a few minutes, Same low result.

Now, I know that sometimes patients can have anxiety when first entering a doctor's office. But I never have; plus his nurse re-took it later. Why the high reading? Either his BP machine was "off" (which you'd think he'd notice after awhile, duh!), or he was trying to prescribe procedures for the new patients he'd bought. I tore up his script.

Oh, and me? I'll be 70 in 2 months, and I'm fine!

Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Statins: Experts at odds on whether millions should take them - CNN.com

"Out of 100 people taking primary preventive statins for five years, "the best estimates are that one or two people will avoid a heart attack, and none will live longer, by taking statins," Redberg said."

That means, if you did not already have a heart attack but are taking statins to prevent one, you will get no benefit whatsoever. There is a tiny chance it will prevent a heart attack, but will NOT make you live any longer, according to current research.

And that is just over a 5 year period. What about after 10 years, 20, 30? How many people will die from taking statins that they did need?

Old 05-27-2017, 10:12 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,644,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Some years ago, my older doctor retired, and sold his practice to a younger guy. So I went to see the younger guy for something minor. I was about 40 at the time.

First thing, he takes my BP. 203 over 115! I felt this was unusual, as it had never beeen even modestly high before that, and this seemed really high to me. He decided to schedule some tests, and wrote me a script for about $200 of tests (cheaper, back then). After the visit, he sent his nurse in, to re-take my BP. Same thing - 203 over 115.

On the way home, I stopped at the ER of a local hospital, where they had a "free BP' policy for the community. A nurse took it, and found 115 over 75 (more my usual) - and I was really riled up by then! I told her what had happened, so she disconnected a machine from another patient and monitored me with that for a few minutes, Same low result.

Now, I know that sometimes patients can have anxiety when first entering a doctor's office. But I never have; plus his nurse re-took it later. Why the high reading? Either his BP machine was "off" (which you'd think he'd notice after awhile, duh!), or he was trying to prescribe procedures for the new patients he'd bought. I tore up his script.

Oh, and me? I'll be 70 in 2 months, and I'm fine!
I'd bet MANY on lifetime BP meds have high readings and trust the MD who pulls out pad to write for drugs...I have found when it comes up high, MD needs to take it a couple more times while patient is still there.

Live and Hopefully learn the ways of the trade. And watch the higher sodium foods...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-27-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 10:24 AM

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...pgtype=article

"... someone who has never had heart disease and who has high cholesterol but no other risk factors is less likely to derive benefit from a statin drug while still facing the risk of diabetes ..."

Ok, some of you here are taking statins because your doctor said to, even though you never had a heart attack. Did you ever think that maybe your doctor could be wrong?

Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM

48,424 posts, read 34,602,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
next time tell the doc you're taking "chinese" "herbs" that are "healthy". maybe she failed her mind reading class in med school.

This!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness