Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Millions of people take statins with no side effects at all.
Millions = no side effects!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:52 AM

36,993 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Millions = no side effects!!!!
Yes, millions.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...e-drugs-nocebo

Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 AM

8,192 posts, read 3,389,423 times
Statins can cause Parkinson's disease.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
There are other ways to lower LDL than with statins. There is just Too Much info on the damage from these drugs.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,659,747 times
I am one who can't take them. Years ago I developed leg muscle weakness/pain and was taken off it. Late last year my current PCP insisted I try a "new" one that didn't cause problems. 10 days later I felt like I had run a marathon and quit it immediately. I wish I had stck to my opinion, have no one to blame but myself.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:37 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,464,594 times
Quote:
I disagree. I am one of those people who prefer to NOT know what potential side effects are until I have taken a medication and given it a chance to work. Now, I take NOTHING without knowing ahead of time. Yes, some people CAN convince themselves within 5 minutes of taking a new prescription that they are suffering from one of the deadly side effects. But this does not, and SHOULD not, discount the truth that people ARE suffering devastating and life destroying effects from statin drugs, with doctors not only just ignoring or "pooh-poohing" their complaints, but not officially reporting it as they are required to do. I had numerous discussions with my doctor, reporting the side effects I was experiencing. Guess what? He NEVER reported it to FAERS. As a matter of fact, they had no records of him EVER reporting patients claiming adverse reactions during his 19 years in practice. Doctors prefer receiving all those nice kickbacks, perks and free vacations to Fiji from Big Pharma. I have news for you, evil and greedy people can be found everywhere, including in the medical profession, a profession which psychology studies and statistics have shown actually has a high percentage of those with sociopathic and narcissistic personality disorders. Whether you read the side effects ahead of time or not, either way you can't win. If you did read them you caused the problem in your head. If you didn't read them you are at fault for not being aware ahead of time. Its a lose/lose for the injured patient, and a win/win for irresponsible doctors & Big Pharma.

YOU can "pooh-pooh" it all you want, but the facts are out there that doctors DO NOT report when patients come to them with concerns over adverse reactions, and many doctors, in their arrogance, treat the patients like idiot children and completely ignore what they are suffering. Your total inability to accept or believe that doctors do act in this way tells me that you are either 1) very ignorant, 2) very arrogant (and possibly a doctor), or 3) believe that doctors are gods instead of human, so therefore can never be or do wrong. It is people with this type of mindset who are part of the problem causing the permanent living hell some of us now have to endure for the rest of our lives.

This is just one of many articles by my now deceased friend, Dr. Duane Graveline,(Dr. means DOCTOR!), who died from the effects of statin drug damage. He spent years trying to reverse the damages from statin drugs. https://spacedoc.com/articles/medwat...statin-reports

Also, another article that talks about doctors not reporting... https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.9304f0764b61

And another: Why Do We Doctors So Often Fail To See Symptoms Are Drug Side Effects? | CommonHealth

Failing To Report Severe Drug Side Effects: A National Embarrassment... https://www.forbes.com/sites/luketim.../#76d98ba4251d

Instead of blaming the patient, who is actually the victim here, blame those who are supposed to be the experts ENTRUSTED (that's a major thing... ENTRUSTED!) with our health care and our LIVES! If you want to keep thinking and believing that doctors and Big Pharma are perfect god-like creatures, you go right ahead. Some of us know better, from personal painful experience.

FACT... Statin drugs are DANGEROUS. For some, they cause permanent irreversible damage, for others they are fatal. Stop insulting those who have been harmed by trying to invalidate them as human beings.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:47 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,464,594 times
Quote:
So this invalidates the permanent, irreversible damage they have done to me? And how do you know they are not suffering side effects? Are you in the doctor's office with each and every one? Are you aware that they have NOT reported side effects, or that they HAVE reported them and the doctor has convinced them that the problem isn't the statins, but instead a NEW health issue that they are now suffering, like Type 2 Diabetes, ALS, MS, MD, etc...., which statins cause or mimic?

You cannot, with any validity, categorically claim that millions take statins with no side effects at all. To claim so is the height of arrogance and ignorance.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:59 PM

9,789 posts, read 7,599,691 times
Quote:
And we should have empathy for the people who do have serious side effects.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:02 PM

26,647 posts, read 28,511,202 times
I just quit a newly minted young dr who insisted that I take statins. I've tried statins twice before and didn't like the muscle pain. Now I know that co-enzyme Q10 is supposed to help. I didn't know that back then.

I just had my first appointment with my latest dr and he turned out to be wonderful. He listened, spent time with me, was open minded, and he'd like me to be on statins but it's up to me. I might try a low dose of red yeast rice again. It is a statin but and when I took it long ago, it lowered my cholesterol a lot. This dr said that would be fine as there's quite a bit of research on it. I will take co-enzyme Q10 along with it though.

The other day I was talking to an elderly woman whose cholesterol is 300 and she says she refuses to take statins. Her brother's cholesterol was 600! He wouldn't take statins either and he died, but he died of cancer.

I've heard terrible first hand stories about the ill effects of statins. One time when I had a visiting nurse after surgery, I asked her about statins and she advised me to not take them--too dangerous.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM

I.N.E.

At least read the first paragraph of this report:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...atin-therapy/#

My doctor did a whole panel in late 2016, but skipped it late 2017.

My total was Chol 191. HDL 75, LDL 101

I'm quite OK with these numbers but decided on my own to add Policosanol 20mg on my own to see if I could get the LDL just a bit lower.

LifeExtension are leaders in research of so many health issues and thought I'd post this article from them.

History of Cholesterol and Arterial Disease | Life Extension

I've talked many times that I never heard the word cholesterol in my parents' lives and just thinking "wonder what their levels were when they died"...both in their 90's.
They ate everything and this was never an issue in their lives. All the people of their generation as well...aunts uncles etc. They died of whatever their issues but all lived pretty long lives...an uncle in late 60's who was a smoker...his lungs were his issue.

Did your parents discuss cholesterol when you were growing up..I think you are around my age group, but just thinking.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-05-2018 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness