Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Some "recommend" a healthy lifestyle generally, for all sorts of reasons (general health, heart, etc.)...in addition to the drugs.

What they don't tell you is that you don't need the drugs, if you adhere to a certain lifestyle, if you are pre-diabetic or beginning stages of diabetes (and maybe even later).

I've been talked into getting a mammogram at too young an age (it's useless to get one then), and I've been fighting off doctors for years who insist on giving me a colonoscopy (it's big business these days).

I've NEVER had a doctor talk to me about a healthy lifestyle, but every one I've seen in the last 15 years has mentioned a colonoscopy to me, if not insistent I get one.

My gyno insisted on doing a pap smear every year, even though it's not rec. by the AMA. They insist on mammograms every year, even though that's not recommended, except for certain people.

It's a money racket. Which is why some health care reform measures want to be based on a whole treatment package, rather than pay by the test or service. Because they've SEEN that if a dr gets paid per test or service, the number of those tests & services go up.
I haven't had "my" doctor since 1984 when my daughter was born. You have listed my reason why not. If I am VERY sick, I go to an Urgent Care Center; twice in all those years. Bye, bye, you will never see me again.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Some "recommend" a healthy lifestyle generally, for all sorts of reasons (general health, heart, etc.)...in addition to the drugs.

What they don't tell you is that you don't need the drugs, if you adhere to a certain lifestyle, if you are pre-diabetic or beginning stages of diabetes (and maybe even later).

I've been talked into getting a mammogram at too young an age (it's useless to get one then), and I've been fighting off doctors for years who insist on giving me a colonoscopy (it's big business these days).

I've NEVER had a doctor talk to me about a healthy lifestyle, but every one I've seen in the last 15 years has mentioned a colonoscopy to me, if not insistent I get one.

My gyno insisted on doing a pap smear every year, even though it's not rec. by the AMA. They insist on mammograms every year, even though that's not recommended, except for certain people.

It's a money racket. Which is why some health care reform measures want to be based on a whole treatment package, rather than pay by the test or service. Because they've SEEN that if a dr gets paid per test or service, the number of those tests & services go up.
Not all diabetes will respond to diet and exercise. Some people will still need medication.

The decision to recommend mammography is made based on a consideration of all of the risk factors for breast cancer, not just the age of the patient.

Having a colonoscopy could be lifesaving, but skip it if you wish.

Pap smear screening interval also depends on an evaluation of risk factors, and the AMA is not involved in developing Pap screening guidelines.

Your doctor will get paid the same for your visit whether you decide to do what he recommends or not. He will not be paid more whether you have a mammogram or not, and he may get paid $2 or $3 to collect your Pap smear.

If you bundle services, the doctor makes the same amount if you refuse part of the bundle. Those services do have to be paid for.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I helped make smallpox vaccinations back in the 1960's. Nobody here can claim that they helped save as many people (millions over the years), from a terrible disease, as myself and coworkers. I was only a grunt in the process; but I am proud that I had a chance to save lives and virtually eliminate the disease.

Although I was not in the industry all of this time; I still help now with the flu vaccinations. Everything changes over the years. For us the change happens almost everyday. Everything is done to protect the patient and, in turn, protects our industry. That means additional cost.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I helped make smallpox vaccinations back in the 1960's. Nobody here can claim that they helped save as many people (millions over the years), from a terrible disease, as myself and coworkers. I was only a grunt in the process; but I am proud that I had a chance to save lives and virtually eliminate the disease.

Although I was not in the industry all of this time; I still help now with the flu vaccinations. Everything changes over the years. For us the change happens almost everyday. Everything is done to protect the patient and, in turn, protects our industry. That means additional cost.
In the midst of a deadly opioid crisis, Ohio sues drugmakers for marketing fraud | FiercePharma

Like this?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
At my location we do not make opiates; we make injectables. Like the Flu vaccine. We are a large company and I could never say that we never made pain killers - I simply do not know. But everything I have ever worked with or know about is all about vaccines and prevention.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:14 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Ohio might want to be careful. It could get just what it wants. Drug makers could pull out of the market for pain medications and doctors could just stop prescribing them altogether. Why would they continue if it is only going to get them sued?

Does anyone here truly think that no one should be prescribed narcotics for pain? There are posters here on CD who use them and who have described the hoops they must go through to continue to get them.

Such a lawsuit also ignores the contribution of the individual to use opioids responsibly.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rol-conundrum/

This from 2011 article explains some problems with the cholesterol hypothesis.

"Research has shown that the higher the amount of HDL and the lower the amount of LDL in the blood, the less likely a person is to suffer a heart attack or stroke. As for the one in six Americans with unhealthy cholesterol levels, well, they can always hope to change their luck with a cholesterol-changing medication or two. Or can they?

Two major clinical trials in the past three years have greatly complicated the picture for these and perhaps other folks. The first study, from 2008, shows that lowering LDL levels does not always decrease the risk of having a heart attack. Similarly, results from the second study, released in the spring of this year, show that raising HDL levels does not always translate into fewer heart attacks or strokes.

These perplexing findings do not mean that people should stop taking their cholesterol drugs. The results have, however, underscored the danger of indulging in a common logical shortcut in medical thinking—assuming that artificially producing normal test results in a patient is the same as conferring good health on that patient. For one thing, drugs typically do not mimic normal conditions perfectly. For another, heart attacks and strokes occur after a complex series of processes that may take years to unfold. Simply altering one of these processes does not necessarily fix the whole problem."

Old 06-01-2017, 03:26 PM

Lack of an association or an inverse association between low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol and mortality in the elderly: a systematic review | BMJ Open

" It is well known that total cholesterol becomes less of a risk factor or not at all for all-cause and cardiovascular (CV) mortality with increasing age"

Interesting ... so why are they recommending statins for most elderly people?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM

"Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies."

Old 06-01-2017, 04:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
"Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies."
The live but how good is their quality of life? Have they had a stroke? That's what I want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness