Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,658,193 times

Advertisements

As I see drugs are taken when the health condition is already present in a person's body and supps are taken as Prevention to not get that condition in a person's body.

People are not Lying here, they are coming from their info, mindset and experiences.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:56 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,054,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thanks for posting that link. I had no idea such a reporting form existed.

A few years ago, my daughter had a near fatal blood clot just weeks after starting birth control pills that she got from some clinic. All the doctors agreed that it was from the pills and that it was common, friends told us about many other young women that had the same problems.

But, none of the doctors reported it, the clinic wouldn't return my phone calls when I reported it to them, we had no insurance and I had to pay all hospital/doctor/testing bills, and no attorney was interested in helping us recover costs. We finally gave up and we are just extremely careful on taking any meds, avoiding them when possible.

From the first page of that link:
If you think you or someone in your family has experienced a serious reaction to a medical product, you are encouraged to take the reporting form to your doctor. Your health care provider can provide clinical information based on your medical record that can help FDA evaluate your report.

However, we understand that for a variety of reasons, you may not wish to have the form filled out by your health care provider, or your health care provider may choose not to complete the form. Your health care provider is NOT required to report to the FDA. In these situations, you may complete the Online Reporting Form yourself.

So how, in real life, does the public really know the side effects and dangers if the medical profession doesn't have to report? Sickening.
Many years ago I worked a chemical spill team for a company that had nothing to do with pharmaceuticals. It was an interesting experience because I saw all forms of reaction to different chemical exposures. The freight company I worked for handled everything imaginable. We had everything from nine ton containers of physically hot radioactive isotopes to some of the most deadly poisonous gases (fortunately they never leaked).

But what was interesting was human reaction to chemical exposure. Individual tolerance is very hard to predict. I was in one group of employees that was exposed to formaldehyde. Eleven employees altogether and all, but one of us, had burning eyes and sore throats - but nothing life threatening. However; one employee stopped breathing and turned blue in the face by the time the medics arrived. We were all exposed and nobody could predict how that one employee would react. It is possible they had asthma or other breathing malady? Fortunately they did survive because of quick medical attention.

On the other hand we are humans and we have different motivations and reactions. Some people are paranoid and quick to react even when there is no potential risk. Others are simply lazy and want somebody, even a spill worker, to clean up their area. It is very difficult to sort all of this out; but we always had to error on the side of caution and treat every spill as a potential life threatening event.

Now, getting back to pharmaceuticals; people do need modern medicine. How much, is it necessary, are there alternatives - we will always debate these issues. Only through reporting adverse reactions can we study what went wrong and correct the situation. I am glad that I was helpful.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Here's what I don't understand:

The drug company discloses all the side effects known
The pharmacy gives you information on side effects

So if a person does not know the side effects of med they are taking - whose fault is that?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,054,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And could be the fluorides and chlorine etc in our TAP waters are harming people more than they know.

I've not had side effects from my herbals but plenty with the lab manufactured drugs. WHY can't they give us drugs with less or no side effects? I might try one IF I didn't worry about the side effects...my memory is long on the ER trip from a anti inflammatory drug from pharma.

Reporting a side effect as you posted the link, but what do they do about it. FDA is as corrupt as a lot of our govt agencies. Many live with side effect damage, look at the statin issues and the damage being done.

And the class of abx drugs...like cipro, levaquin, Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics Linked to Serious Nerve Damage
Everything is a balancing act. We are looking at what saves the most people. The smallpox vaccinations I worked on years ago saved millions from a terrible death. The flu vaccinations, that I currently work on; could save millions. Yes; it is debatable. But go back to the Spanish Flu in WWI and look at the death toll.

Every day our industry changes. I know it doesn't look that way. But all of the reporting and investigation do lead to change. The tetanus vaccinations we made in the 1960's left many with arms that felt like they were going to fall off; you were afraid that somebody would bump into you by accident. Today most suffer very little pain from the vaccine. We have made tremendous strides in equipment, processing, and formulation over the years. Part of that was from the reporting of adverse reaction.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:36 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,658,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Here's what I don't understand:

The drug company discloses all the side effects known
The pharmacy gives you information on side effects

So if a person does not know the side effects of med they are taking - whose fault is that?
This is true, but people take them anyway with HOPE they won't get side effects.

With my meds the one that was true with side effects is Norvasc, edema is right up on top and sure enough after on it for a month, my ankles ballooned, updose of grape seed ex got rid of this for me. I still take this BP med and doing OK, no edema but continue with grape seed ex.

My neighbor who is 90 has a lot of damage from meds over her life and is now taking a lot of supps for the last 10 yrs or more. Drops for glaucoma, hearing aids for hearing loss but when she sees a doctor and they give her a script she goes home and reads the possible side effects, she does not fill the script.

I've given her a lot of help with what I recommend and she jumps on supps quite a bit now. All she can afford. She has a strong constitution all in all and a great desire to live on. She is scheduled for a second hip replacement as she lives with a fracture and HOPES a new hip at 90 will help get her out of some pain.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Yeah everyone hopes.

But running around flapping your hands that "I didn't know the dangers!!!" just makes the person look less than competent.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2017, 12:01 PM

14,891 posts, read 12,052,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
So, after Phase l, Phase ll, Phase lll and possibly Phase lV testing where developer of the drug MUST prove safety and EFFICACY of any new drug, not to mention that the same must be done in all developed countries, YOU actually believe that drugs have little or no useful value?????

Wow, I guess that I wasted my education and fifty years of practice as a Registered Pharmacist!

Damn, I could have been an accountant!

Or working in a GNC!

Old 06-04-2017, 01:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,362,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
...A few years ago, my daughter had a near fatal blood clot just weeks after starting birth control pills that she got from some clinic. All the doctors agreed that it was from the pills and that it was common, friends told us about many other young women that had the same problems...

I'm very sorry for what your daughter and your family went through, but blood clots are a widely-known side effect of birth control pills. I'm 71 years old and have never taken birth control pills but even I know that most birth control pills increase, at least threefold, a woman's chance of developing a blood clot.

It's incumbent on all of us, especially in this computer age, to investigate the side effects of any and all meds that we take.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:34 PM

17,433 posts, read 13,206,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The do not cover "natural supplements" because "natural supplements" do not have to be shown to be effective. Prescription drugs do, despite your assertion otherwise.
Actually, natural supplements are not regulated at all.

Most people have no idea what is in a bottle of herbs, that's why they are so dangerous

It is a crime to hear commercials that claim cancer or MS cures on fruits and veggies crammed in a tiny #3 capsule, Total fraud, just like the weight loss and ED crap.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,202,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is almost inevitable that most kinds of drugs will have side effects, especially if taken for a long time.

Antibiotics kill helpful gut bacteria. Immune-suppressing drugs prevent the immune system from functioning normally, which can lead to infections or cancer. Statin drugs interfere with essential life processes. Cancer drugs, usually, show the growth of all cells, not just cancer cells, and cause many unhealthy side effects.

Natural supplements are very different from drugs. I am NOT saying natural supplements work -- I have no idea, I guess some do. But their purpose is to restore health.

Drugs vs supplements are two very different approaches to health. Drugs are needed sometimes, but should be avoided if possible and should not be taken for long periods of time.
Moderator cut: rude remark

Tell the HIV patient about how he/she should "avoid those drugs and not take them for a long time" Yeah antiretroviral therapy, what a waste

"Researchers in a 2013 study found that 78 percent of deaths of people with HIV between 1988 and 1995 were due to AIDS. Between 2005 and 2009, that figure dropped to 15 percent."
Facts About HIV: Life Expectancy and Long-Term Outlook

Or the Type I diabetic on insulin...

How about the patient with antiphospholipid syndrome who would be dead from blood clots without life long anti coagulant therapy...

I could go on and on...

Moderator cut: rude remark

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-04-2017 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.