Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 PM

175 posts, read 846,702 times

Advertisements

I am planning on cataract surgery, What can I expect. I need information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Beware of up-selling.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:33 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
About 20 minutes of your time. E-z peasy operation.
They put some drops in your eye, give you a sedative and a few minutes later you wake up and ask "is it over?" You won't feel a thing and the next day you'll say "wow, why didn't I do this sooner".

Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
wit nit has it pretty much down for you. You will not be able to drive yourself but that is about all you will not be able to do We went out for breakfast both times after I had mine done. It is rare there are even minor complications. I was totally aware of everything that was happening, I could hear everyone talking but didn't remember a thing 10 minutes later. The worst part by far was putting in the stupid drops for days and days. It was just a pain.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I had both eyes done a few years ago,i had much apprehension before the procedure but it was not warranted as they do a series of eye drops 30 minutes before then just before they put a gel substance on your eye so its frozen,then they shine an extremely bright light in your eye so you dont see anything,5 minutes later you have a new ocular implant and shortly after can see like youve never seen before.
I did have the choice between an ultra sound scalpel or a laser scalpel,due to exorbitant cost of the lazer that my insurance wouldnt pay for i chose the ultrasound device and didnt feel a thing, a month later we did the other eye and because his ultrasound device was out of operation he did it with the lazer device at no charge ,i didnt notice any difference.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Had my first eye done yesterday and just returned from the "day after" appointment.

I had to be medically cleared by my primary (EKG) then use 3 different drops 2 days prior to surgery.
The proceedure was as described above, a pretty quick "light show" then into recovery for 15-20 minutes.
Today they checked the pressure of that eye, made sure it was healing and sent me home with instructions to use the drops as prescribed, wearr the patch at night for a week and try and keep water out of the eye (the toughest part).

I am amazed at how clear my vision is in that eye already and have been told it will just get better over the next couple of weeks.
Can not wait for the next eye!
Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:00 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Here's a long thread on cataracts:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...cataracts.html

A friend just had one eye done and she's doing fine, she says.

I'm 79 soon and take care of eyes with supps and stuff than can slow down and reduce the chance of cataracts, never go outside without sunglasses, even on cloudy days. My friend who just had one done says she broke her sunglasses a while back and never replaced them, so feels certain her eyes advanced with cataracts. She's very holistic in her healing so the surgery is something she doesn't run to do.

But from MOST I hear it's a fast and successful procedure. I'm not just a fan of surgery period.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:28 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
There is a microscopic incision site and it feels like a grain of sand in your eye for a few days. Annoying, but it passes.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Beware of up-selling.
What does this mean?

Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
This is going to be longer than I thought, but I'll go through it to try to describe the process I experienced.

The surgery isn't a problem. I've had both eyes done (at different times). I was in a comfortable chair in a patient waiting are (sort of pre-surgery). Eye drops were administered and an IV was put in my arm. I waited for a while and gradually noticed my vision made everything look off-color, sort of reddish from the eye drops. The eye drops were to numb the eye. As I understand, it paralyzes certain muscles to keep the eye still during the surgery. The medical assistants frequently checked in on me to see how I was doing.

After a while, I was taken into the room where the surgery was to be done. I was helped into another comfortable chair and put my forehead against some kind of equipment (a lighted magnifier), and a sedative was administered through the IV. The sedation is optional, but I really didn't want to know what was happening, so I requested it. I remember seeing a small dot of light.

As the sedative was taking effect, I remember the doctor frequently asking me, "How are you doing?" I answered "Fine". After a bit of time, I think he asked me to count backward from 10 to 0. My brain seemed to have a hard time focusing on being able to reply. I was so out of it, that I got lost somewhere around 7. I couldn't remember what number came before 7. At that point I just didn't want to say anything more because I just couldn't reply anymore. I guess I was sort of stupified from the sedation and mentally drifted off into hazy sleep-like state. I wasn't actually asleep but rather unaware of anything. However, I do remember seeing some kind of wrinkly with my vision. I assume that was the artificial lens that had been inserted after removing the cataract and was being smoothed out. Apart from that, I couldn't make out any details, just the bright light.

After what seemed like just a few seconds, I could hear the doctor asking me how I was doing. I rapidly became alert, looked around, and asked if he had started yet. He told me it was all done. I was blown away because it was hard to imagine the surgery had even started, much less that it was finished. I was helped out of the chair, and taken back to the patient waiting area (sort of a recovery room). It was like nothing had happened at all.

I did have an eye patch over my eye, and was told to leave it on for until night when I was to begin applying a couple of different eye drops, one to prevent infection and the other to prevent swelling (I think). I was given a check sheet for each day and time to apply the eye drops. I think it was for a total of 2-3 weeks. The check sheet was an excellent reminder to keep track of the applications. I was not to do any driving for at least a day, and I was not to do anything strenuous to avoid strain on the eye. You don't want to do anything that might prevent healing. That said, you can do things. The eye drops are the biggest hassle because you have to commit yourself to applying them on time for a few weeks. But it's worth it.

I had to go back in the next day for a followup exam to make sure everything was all right. It was. Everything was going well.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous about having the surgery done, but I also have to say that the doctor and his entire staff made sure I was as comfortable as possible. They are all very good and very compassionate people. Very professional.

After I was able to remove the eye patch, I no longer had the cataract obscuring my vision. That was a welcome sight. Before the surgery, my vision was like looking through a brownish dirty screen. I could see things, but details were getting worse. After the surgery, it was like my vision was renewed and restored. It seemed amazing to me.

Both of my eyes had cataracts, but my left eye was worse than my right eye. They couldn't do both eyes at the same time because of insurance restrictions. Apparently there are certain standards to measure the degree of cataracts, which insurance companies rely on. Having cataracts removed too soon can result in the cataracts reforming again if any tiny pieces are left behind. It's better to let it get a little firmer so it can be taken out in one piece, or at least larger pieces. It was several months later that I had the cataract from my right eye removed. Same process as the left eye. When I first noticed the vision problem, I thought there was a smudge on my car window, but when I looked closer at the window, there was no smudge. Then I thought maybe there's a problem with my glasses. I had them checked and no problem was found. So it was recommended I have my eyes examined, and that's what determined that I had cataracts.

The doctor who did the surgery said the good part about it is that I'll never have to have that done again. I still have to wear trifocals, but apart from that, colors and shapes are clear again.

It's a good idea not to delay too long with cataracts. The reason, as I understand, is that as it gets worse, the cataracts can get thicker and more difficult to completely remove. Even though I was very nervous about the idea of having sharp pointy things poking around my eyeball, I discovered there was nothing to fear at all in having it done, and the end result of having your sight improved is worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness