Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:09 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right now I *can* read a book with them, it's just an annoyance to have that certain angle going on. Reading I don't want to be a chore. I want to escape into the book.
That tells me something. Because when you're reading, you will always have to make sure your head is in the "right" place so that you are looking out of the "right" part of the lenses. You will, actually, make that adjustment eventually, but for some it is too frustrating to go through the process.

Because I do close reading and also reading off a music stand, I got these other progressives. Since they only go from "reading" up to about 10 feet or so, each range is much bigger in the actual lens than in a normal pair of progressives, which have to go from "reading" up to 50 feet away or whatever, in a space of just two or three inches of glass.

Also, something I just learned when I got this last pair of glasses: the way they grind the lenses is not across the whole face of the lenses. It's more like the shape of a beautiful lady, large at top and bottom and smaller in the middle. The edges of the middle range are not ground as much, so this is a blurry part. I guess the thinking is that the periphery of your vision just there is not very important. The more they grind toward the edges, the more expensive the lenses are. This may be why some brands are more expensive than others, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 02:14 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Sigh. They told me I need polycarb.
Hmmm. I wish I knew. After they gave me progressives that distorted everything, I did a lot of googling and figured out that, for ME, it was because they were polycarbonate, not plastic. Try googling "polycarbonate vs plastic lenses." See if it describes your problem or not.

Usually the articles say that some people just can't do well with polycarb, that there is more distortion. Lots of people are fine with polycarb though and I don't understand the reason. Polycarb may not be your problem.

Another thing, since I have problems with glasses, I can only go to expensive places that charge $800 for a pair of glasses. It makes me sick to have to pay that much but what good are glasses if they don't help you to see? Progressives have to be measured exactly right and you need the right brand for you, the brand that does what you need it to do. There are Zeiss, Hoya, and several other brands--try to educate yourself and then go to a good optician and pay the shocking price if you really want progressives that you can see with.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Reading is not comfortable at all. I can see correctly through the reading part. I guess I don't like there being a 'part' to look through. The place is really pushing progressives but I wonder if a lot of people choose separate glasses for distance/reading.
I have had several pairs, some three-part and some two-part. I have been dissatisfied with more than half of them, and they were not all made at the same places.

At this point I would prefer three separate pairs of glasses. I have an old pair of reading-only glasses in my car and I just jam them into a pocket when I go into a store, and they are still good enough for reading labels.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:54 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Many years ago, I got a pair of readers. Other than changing the strength during that time, I still have a pair of readers. I'll be 70 next month.

If I'm just around the yard and doing chores, I don't wear anything. My vision is fine for medium and long distance, as long as I don't need to read anything. I never wanted to become too dependent on visual aids .

If I'm going out, I wear contacts, something called "monovision". Right eye is corrected for close-up, left for reading signs in the distance while driving. It looks to me as if both eyes are looking at the object, and it's sharp. Something in the brain compensates. I do have 20/20 stereoscopic on the road, even with the close-up correction in the right eye. I can look at maps, then out at the road - all sharp. Once you get used to them, they go in quickly and easily.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:08 AM

806 posts, read 876,479 times
My first pair of bifocals were Progressive . Couldn't wear them . Everything was wavy when I moved my head . The lady at the eyeglass place said that Progressive's weren't for everybody so they remade the lenses in a conventional bifocal . No problems . I adapted to them quickly .

Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I just got them recently. I guess I don't mind them as I can now see, lol. The problem I have is up till 2 years​ ago I didn't need glasses at all and now I need them desperately. I'm in my mid 40's. I hate wearing glasses in general, but my opthalmologist says it's not easy wearing contacts when you need a progressive.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 06-10-2017, 12:18 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I've been thinking I need to go to progressives, but this thread makes me think perhaps not.

I use different prescriptions for reading (always perched on my head), computer (left near the desktop), and driving (kept in the car). Plus I have a pair of bifocals that I use to watch TV and do handwork at the same time. Sometimes I find myself wearing 2 or 3 pairs of glasses on various parts of my head. I must look like a lunatic!

Old 06-10-2017, 12:31 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I have been using progressive lenses for approx. 10 years. Each time I got a new pair I needed a short adjustment period but otherwise they are fine.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
What I found is that all the Drs don't know how to prescribe progressives. Luckily I started buying glasses from Zenni where you can get a progressive pair for $40. So I was able to experiment. One Dr. thought +2.25 of an add was right for my reading - it made my nauseous and everything very distorted. Another though +1.25 which was better but still a little blurry around the edges when reading. Since the +1.25 was better than the +2, I tried +1. It was perfect for adjusting my prescription to reading. I also found plastic better than polycarb for general lenses. The visual acuity is better. With less of a difference between near and far I get almost no distortion. It is like having my old eyes back with normal single vision lenses.

So now my two main pairs are progressives from Zenni with the same +1 for the progressive part, one with the blue blocking lenses and one with their cheapest progressive lenses.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
My husband had progressive lenses and got the high index/HD ones with UV protection, scratch resistance, and the Transitions coatings. I have vision insurance but still had to pay $470 out of pocket because they are so expensive with the type of lenses that he got plus all of the extras.

So we get out of ophthalmologist's office after he's picked up his glasses and he puts them on. He's happy because he can see and we are walking down a set of 4 steps...and he stumbles down them. Next thing I know, he's trying to step waaay over cracks in the sidewalk because he is saying they look tall to him with the glasses. He stumbles up the stairs when we get home.

He tried them for a few weeks but they just didn't work for him. We just ended up donating them the Lion's Club.

We went to a different place and he got 2 pair of glasses--prescription readers and a pair of distance glasses. Only had to pay $80 copay.

I need glasses to read but my distance vision is 20/20 right eye and 20/10 left eye so people get a laugh when they look through my prescription safety glasses and all they are is a +1.25 bifocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness