U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:09 PM

11,656 posts, read 5,503,968 times

Advertisements

Reading is not comfortable at all. I can see correctly through the reading part. I guess I don't like there being a 'part' to look through. The place is really pushing progressives but I wonder if a lot of people choose separate glasses for distance/reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:25 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,749,025 times
I have progressive lenses with 3 different strengths. Lower for reading, center for 'looking' and top for shooting rifles. It's just a matter of getting used to them.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,107,751 times
I love my progressives, but I will say that when I sit down to read something, I'll just grab a pair of readers - it's easier. Also, when I am at my computer, I have "computer glasses" which is about the middle of the progressive strength. The progressives are really nice when I'm at the grocery store and I need to see something far away and be able to read the itty bitty print on the labels too. Also, when driving when I need the distance but it's nice to be able to look down and see the dash also. I resisted getting "bifocals" for a long time and once I got them I was amazed at how much easier it made things.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,068,079 times
Depends what you're reading. Are you reading your computer or laptop? Progressives may not put the reading part in the right place for this kind of thing. If you're just sitting with a book or phone, you may have to put it closer to your lap to get the reading lens so you see these things better. If you're reading something like a newspaper, progressives don't really cut it because you're looking straight out usually, for a newspaper, and that puts you into the center range (5 to 10 feet away).

There's definitely an adjustment period. I have found, however, that I do better using my progressives for everything except "reading," by which I mean everything from books to laptops. For these, I have progressives, too, but set just for reading and up to about 10 feet away at the very top (actually I can see TV across the room with them, too, and sometimes I forget I've got them on instead of my regular progressives). I need the regular progressives for driving, tho.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:38 PM

5,664 posts, read 3,208,198 times
I have progessive lenses, but my near vision on them is nothing. Maybe I should not have them at all? I generally do not wear my glasses at all for reading/computer, or even near distance general work around my house. Only put on glasses for TV at night when I am tired. Far distance for driving is totally different.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 PM

They don't help for the computer at all. AT ALL. I put them on my head as I can see the pc on my own. I CAN read a book, but it's not comfortable. I think I'd rather be able to see out of the whole glasses because reading a book is supposed to be comfortable!

But lemme tell you, I am NOT a good candidate for multiple glasses. I will leave them in the wrong places!

Unless I put the distance ones on my face all the time (on my head when I am at pc) and keep the readers in their case and be really good about putting them away when done reading a book.

The idea of Progressives is right for me, but not the reality. I think I am going to have problems any way I go and I have to suck it up and make a decision. My time to return these progressives is very near.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Depends what you're reading. Are you reading your computer or laptop? Progressives may not put the reading part in the right place for this kind of thing. If you're just sitting with a book or phone, you may have to put it closer to your lap to get the reading lens so you see these things better. If you're reading something like a newspaper, progressives don't really cut it because you're looking straight out usually, for a newspaper, and that puts you into the center range (5 to 10 feet away).

There's definitely an adjustment period. I have found, however, that I do better using my progressives for everything except "reading," by which I mean everything from books to laptops. For these, I have progressives, too, but set just for reading and up to about 10 feet away at the very top (actually I can see TV across the room with them, too, and sometimes I forget I've got them on instead of my regular progressives). I need the regular progressives for driving, tho.
That is a perfect description of the different types of reading. I put them on my head when reading the paper.

When you say you have some 'set' to reading, do you mean a second pair of progressives that are tilted more towards that angle?

These, I want tilted a little more in favor of distance, but am afraid to lose reading if I do that.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM

18,077 posts, read 17,208,003 times
I first got progressives 20 years ago and couldn't see with them. It seemed like the driveway was all wavy. After a week I took them back and the place told me I needed Varilux. They switched me to Varilux free of charge and I've had that brand ever since with zero problems.

Last year I had cataract surgery. I didn't get Varilux afterwards (had been told I wouldn't even NEED glasses) and like 20 years ago, couldn't see very well with the new glasses. Went to another place, asked for Varilux and was told they were going to give me another brand that was exactly the same.

Long story short, I couldn't see with the other brand. So I've now spent a fortune going back and having to insist on Varilux and being made to pay extra to get them. Different brands of progressives produce differing results. For me the different is that Varilux is made from plastic, not polycarbonate. I think you need to find an optician who you really trust and have a discussion to find out which brand will work for you. The more expensive brands of lenses seem to work better but each has pros and cons. Some will get rid of "swim" at the edges, some will have other benefits. Make sure your optician measured correctly and make sure you have a brand that gives you a great close up area.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 549,287 times
I love my progressives. 3 different lenses, close up, mid range, and far range. One thing I definitely notice: if I happen to bump them and they get out of kilter with the exact way they used to sit on my nose, it's a little bit of time till I can see correctly again. My brain needs to readjust how I move my head up and down (automatically) to be able to see correctly. Usually I just bend the frames back into shape again till they feel better on my face.

Once in a long while opticians will give you the wrong lenses. Once in a while they will not adjust them right to your face. They have to get the spacing between your eye pupils right too. Go back to the place where you bought them and have them checked and/or readjusted.

I've never heard of anybody who didn't eventually adjust to them. New glasses usually take me a day or two at the most. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I first got progressives 20 years ago and couldn't see with them. It seemed like the driveway was all wavy. After a week I took them back and the place told me I needed Varilux. They switched me to Varilux free of charge and I've had that brand ever since with zero problems.

Last year I had cataract surgery. I didn't get Varilux afterwards (had been told I wouldn't even NEED glasses) and like 20 years ago, couldn't see very well with the new glasses. Went to another place, asked for Varilux and was told they were going to give me another brand that was exactly the same.

Long story short, I couldn't see with the other brand. So I've now spent a fortune going back and having to insist on Varilux and being made to pay extra to get them. Different brands of progressives produce differing results. For me the different is that Varilux is made from plastic, not polycarbonate. I think you need to find an optician who you really trust and have a discussion to find out which brand will work for you. The more expensive brands of lenses seem to work better but each has pros and cons. Some will get rid of "swim" at the edges, some will have other benefits. Make sure your optician measured correctly and make sure you have a brand that gives you a great close up area.
Sigh. They told me I need polycarb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or