U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 AM

22,185 posts, read 23,674,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Actually to be correct ECG also means EKG and is the "more" correct acronym for electrocardiogram

An Echocardiogram is the term for ultrasound of the heart and is never shortened to ECG, Echo may be used for short but not ECG
D'oh. You're right. Mea culpa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM

5,106 posts, read 7,924,211 times
OP back, thanks so much guys, any other info! Re: the treadmill, I can do fast walking and maybe a slight jog, but due to an Achilles tendon rupture injury, I can't do actual jogging & sure no running.

I've been taking an inhaler that's given to those w/ asthma (even though I don't specifically have asthma). The inhaler has a slight trace of steroid ingredient. I assume they'll ask me to halt on taking that so many days before the test, correct? I don't take caffeine products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I just had those and a bunch of other tests in the hospital about three weeks ago. I opted for the drug injection method for my cardiac stress test. Felt my pulse rise and I got a bit sick to my stomach for a bit, but otherwise it wasn't bad. I was a bit afraid of the treadmill. I was mowing the front lawn when I started feeling strange, and then passed out. wound up in the hospital for a week and the diagnoses was arterial stenosis. Been very healthy my whole life, and now I'm getting things in order as best I can because I will be having open heart surgery soon. I know it's going to be no fun, but I can't move on with my life until it's done so I want to do it as soon as possible.
Woah, I'm sorry. I hope everything goes well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The EKG (echocardiogram) is a breeze. You lie down and a nurse attach electrodes to areas of your chest. Then the portable machine reads a printout. That's it.

I've never had a regular stress test but I've had several chemical stress tests. I've read that they can be a bit uncomfortable for some people but I've never had any problems with any of mine. I sit in a chair and get an injection, which supposedly simulates the heart working as though I were on a treadmill. To be honest, I dont understand that because I've never felt as though my body were doing anything other than just sitting there quietly throughout the entire test.

Regarding any prep, I've never had anything. I've never been aware that an EKG or a chemical stress tests was going to be given to me during those particular medical appointments so I've never done any prep work. I dont drink coffee so, if I do, I may have been told to abstain from it -- I dont recall.

I did have some kind of nuclear heart scan once. I was given an injection and then sat in a chair while a camera circled me, taking photos, for about 20 minutes. I was fine throughout the scan but started dry-heaving right afterward (I had been told to fast, so had nothing in my stomach) and was sick from both ends for 3 days afterward. I have a strong constitution and have never have a bad reaction to anything, but that was a killer. I'd never have another nuclear scan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An EKG is an electrocardiogram, not an echocardiogram. An ECG is an utrasound of the heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Oh, you're right! I'm so sorry -- I misread the question.
I was about to say, I've had an EKG once not so long ago in which you just lie down & the nurse attaches electrodes. I wish the other was that simple again!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM

279 posts, read 115,375 times
I didn't see any need to quote the whole post, but I just want to say thank you to Forever Blue for your kind words. It means a lot me me even though I don't know you. Good for the morale

Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Newfangle9, you're so welcome. Open heart surgery is not minor. Again, I wish you a smooth operation & recovery!

Throughout the years, being a participant of several discussion boards, I've found that overall, people are quite helpful!

Old 06-28-2017, 04:54 AM

70,966 posts, read 82,235,785 times
Quote:
I didn't see any need to quote the whole post, but I just want to say thank you to Forever Blue for your kind words. It means a lot me me even though I don't know you. Good for the morale
Good luck and keep us posted as you go through recovery. I know it is a scary time in your life, but the good news is: open heart surgery has been perfected. We have had friends who have gone though it and been back in church or doing other activities in just about a week. I can remember when the hospital stay was that long. Heck I can remember when hubby had angioplasty, before the days of stints and was told not to even walk up and down stairs for about a week or so. Again, good luck and keep a positive attitude. It will go a long way.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:17 AM

Thanks again guys, I will, but it may be a little while. I need to have one more test before the surgery can be scheduled. I need to have an angiogram, but my blood platelet count is a bit too low to do it. Waiting for an appointment with a hematologist now.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 AM

2,297 posts, read 861,989 times
Quote:
Thanks again guys, I will, but it may be a little while. I need to have one more test before the surgery can be scheduled. I need to have an angiogram, but my blood platelet count is a bit too low to do it. Waiting for an appointment with a hematologist now.
Is there a chance with the angiogram that they can help you without the bypass? I know my uncle went in at 80 and he had stents done and then they were able to do a heart valve replacement without open heart. It was amazing and he has recovered pretty fast and doing great.

Think positive it's amazing the advances they have done in last few years

Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Is there a chance with the angiogram that they can help you without the bypass? I know my uncle went in at 80 and he had stents done and then they were able to do a heart valve replacement without open heart. It was amazing and he has recovered pretty fast and doing great.

Think positive it's amazing the advances they have done in last few years
That would be great if possible, and I will be asking about what you posted. It's still early in the process, but I have an appointment with a hematologist this afternoon, and one with a cardiologist on july fifth. I should have more detailed information then hopefully. I'll be sixty five in july, and was told that other than my heart and blood count I'm in very good health overall.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 AM

OK, so I went to the dr, but she didn't bring up that I get these 2 tests done. At first, I was trying to get a referral for them, but I guess she felt I didn't need them & frankly, I'm glad I don't have to do these 2 tests...not yet anyway. My dizziness is gradually decreasing & I haven't done anything differently.

I appreciate ALL your comments everyone!

Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 AM

12,479 posts, read 13,783,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Echo is like an ultrasound but for your heart. My mom just had a stress test and no treadmill was involved!
Was it a chemical stress test?

Without the running or chemically induced stress, where would the stress come in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or