Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times

Advertisements

I have had both. Of course it is no fun going through those tests but just relax as much as you can and it will be done before you know it. I always treat myself after such things with something that otherwise is too decadent to be guilt free like a banana split with extra chocolate topping. That way I have something to look forward to after its done and it makes it easier to put up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 04:40 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
They'll tell you all the prep, but you can't have coffee (caffeine) a certain amount of hours before the stress test, or food for four hours before.

Most of the other things have been discussed.

I had one years back, and my S/O just got one scheduled for a few weeks from now. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I have had both a couple of times: Normally, at your age particularly, you will be given the standard tread mill stress test. The chemical one, which has been mentioned here is used only under certain conditions, age, and as southernbell said, when you have a bad back or something physical that will make it hard for you to handle the standard test. The echocardiogram is nothing. The only problem with the chemical stress test it can make your heart race for a few seconds and even with the warning this will happen, it can be scary. On the other hand, they have gotten much better and that side effect has been minomized
Good luck!!

Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 907 times
I have had both as I have a heart mitral valve issue that needs monitoring. Good advise to stay away from stimulants before both tests and stay hydrated.

For the stress test, they take images of your heart with a imaging type of machine before and after the test. For that part, you just lie on a table while the machine does its thing. The one thing that the tech told me about the actual stress test is to get it out of your mind that you are going to beat the treadmill, because it just isn't going to happen. When you feel like you've had enough, tell them.

As far as the echo - I have one every time I see the cardiologist - the last time being three weeks ago. They place wire sensors on your chest and have you lie on your left side. They then take a hand held device that is attached to the echo machine which is coated with gel on the end and slide or place it on your chest to get the images of the heart. They will tell you to occasionally take a few deep breaths and hold it for a few seconds. Don't be alarmed if the sound of your heart comes on the machine. It is different for sure, to hear what is going on in your heart, but it doesn't stay on for long. It's a painless procedure and actually I find it is quite relaxing as they have the lights dimmed and it's pretty quiet in the room. Mine takes about 40 minutes.

I know that it is scary dealing with issues of the heart and my best wishes to you.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 PM

608 posts, read 515,935 times
I just had those and a bunch of other tests in the hospital about three weeks ago. I opted for the drug injection method for my cardiac stress test. Felt my pulse rise and I got a bit sick to my stomach for a bit, but otherwise it wasn't bad. I was a bit afraid of the treadmill. I was mowing the front lawn when I started feeling strange, and then passed out. wound up in the hospital for a week and the diagnoses was arterial stenosis. Been very healthy my whole life, and now I'm getting things in order as best I can because I will be having open heart surgery soon. I know it's going to be no fun, but I can't move on with my life until it's done so I want to do it as soon as possible.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
...echocardiogram and stress test.
What do they entail? Anything to do to prep for it? This is all new to me. TIA.

The EKG (echocardiogram) is a breeze. You lie down and a nurse attach electrodes to areas of your chest. Then the portable machine reads a printout. That's it.

I've never had a regular stress test but I've had several chemical stress tests. I've read that they can be a bit uncomfortable for some people but I've never had any problems with any of mine. I sit in a chair and get an injection, which supposedly simulates the heart working as though I were on a treadmill. To be honest, I dont understand that because I've never felt as though my body were doing anything other than just sitting there quietly throughout the entire test.

Regarding any prep, I've never had anything. I've never been aware that an EKG or a chemical stress tests was going to be given to me during those particular medical appointments so I've never done any prep work. I dont drink coffee so, if I do, I may have been told to abstain from it -- I dont recall.

I did have some kind of nuclear heart scan once. I was given an injection and then sat in a chair while a camera circled me, taking photos, for about 20 minutes. I was fine throughout the scan but started dry-heaving right afterward (I had been told to fast, so had nothing in my stomach) and was sick from both ends for 3 days afterward. I have a strong constitution and have never have a bad reaction to anything, but that was a killer. I'd never have another nuclear scan.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:56 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The EKG (echocardiogram) is a breeze. You lie down and a nurse attach electrodes to areas of your chest. Then the portable machine reads a printout. That's it.
An EKG is an electrocardiogram, not an echocardiogram. An ECG is an utrasound of the heart.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An EKG is an electrocardiogram, not an echocardiogram. An ECG is an utrasound of the heart.

Oh, you're right! I'm so sorry -- I misread the question.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:44 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Oh, you're right! I'm so sorry -- I misread the question.
THere are always a lot of acronyms flying around in these matters.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Actually to be correct ECG also means EKG and is the "more" correct acronym for electrocardiogram

An Echocardiogram is the term for ultrasound of the heart and is never shortened to ECG, Echo may be used for short but not ECG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness