U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:06 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,074,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Yeah I've tried Snus - it's good stuff, and no need to spit (if you even do spit snuff to begin with).

And I'm half Scandinavian as well.
Perfect!!

I would stick with snus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,506,314 times
I'm old enough to recall when so many baseball players had bulging cheeks filled with "chewin' bacca" spitting every few minutes (or seconds). The late Hall-of-Famer Tony Gwynn blamed the stuff for his oral cancer. Curious thing about him is that he engaged in the practice when it was no longer "fashionable" and in fact when the dangers were well publicized.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
I've heard dipping is much more addictive than smoking. I smoked forever and have quit for the third time successfully so far. Please keep trying to stay off it. It is very difficult but if you stay dip free, the physical withdrawal symptoms will ease sooner than you think. It is so dangerous to start back up, and each time you do, it's harder to stop. Trust me, I know. There are many support programs that can help. Also, talk to your doctor about medications that can help you. Perhaps the nicotine gum/lozenges will help the physical withdrawal symptoms more than other medications since you physically put it in your mouth. Many people are rooting for you. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM

3,876 posts, read 1,018,180 times
I don't know if chewing is more difficult to stop than smoke...I've always thought smoking was far harder to quit than chew. I've known various smokers over the years and hardly recall any of them quitting despite their efforts. My aunt even had throat cancer and to this day (10 years or so after cancer diagnosis) still can't give up cigarettes. That right there is a powerful damn addiction.

I don't know if I will pick chewing back up again but I stopped cold for dang near ten years as I said when I consciously quit back in 2006.

My last chew this time around was on the 26th last month and I think my physical sickness is over.

What was alarming to me was...I don't recall having the sort of physical sensations I was having last week, when I quit cold back in '06.

Back then I was chewing a higher end chew (Skoal as I recall) compared to the much cheaper Kayak which is what I was almost exclusively chewing these last few months.

Obviously I'm older now at age 36 but if I don't start feeling quite a bit better here now in the next couple days I'll have to get back to my physician to get more stuff checked out.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 PM

I haven't had a dip/chew in a month now. But....I'm craving one now all of a sudden, yesterday and now tpday/tonight.

I don't know what I need to tell myself to NOT go buy a tin, but I hope I dont. I should be through the nicotine withdrawal (right??)...so I don't know why the crave is hitting me now...

Old 09-01-2017, 03:34 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why do people Chew tobacco. A friend's son developed mouth cancer some yrs ago. I think he's OK now but never chewed again.
I just talked to my friend, she's is on East Coast, and she gave me the very sad news that her son who was 55, just died in July from cancer. My grandkids lost their dad a few yrs ago and he was 55, cigs and other toxins got him pretty young.

Don't chew, don't smoke...give yourself a better chance to continue living.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-01-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 12:08 AM

203 posts, read 487,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm not sure, but...isn't smoking cigarettes more hazardous to health than smokeless/chew tobacco?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Just courting different cancers or health effects in general. I've gone to some the seminars put on people who got mouth cancer. Their faces have been all carved away, can't talk properly and of course legions have died of smoking effects or are living with them. Neither is fun. Kind of a case of name your poison.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:06 AM

10,605 posts, read 2,705,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I would use Snus instead of chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco is definitely a more carcinogenic form than Snus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus
I work with tobacco company reps in my job all the time, SNUS is just regular smokeless tobacco with a type of dairy creamer added to it (usually in a variety of flavors).

The dairy creamer added to it, does not reduce the danger at all.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I work with tobacco company reps in my job all the time, SNUS is just regular smokeless tobacco with a type of dairy creamer added to it (usually in a variety of flavors).

The dairy creamer added to it, does not reduce the danger at all.
I've been doing Swedish snus only. A lot less chemicals in it.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM

5,411 posts, read 6,669,723 times
OK, I don't get this reasoning at all. Smoking is bad, everyone knows that. But people are seriously justifying chewing tobacco because it's not AS bad as smoking??? And then snus is not AS bad as chewing??? That doesn't make any of it good. Using any of them is just a bad decision and, well, stupid. Not to mention completely gross. Just don't do it.

And before someone brings it up, I used to smoke. A pack a day for 15 years. Quit cold turkey almost 20 years ago. Wish I never started. But I was in middle school when I started, so literally a child. Not exactly an age capable of making good decisions. I seriously don't understand adults who do it or worse yet start as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness