U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,058 times

Advertisements

It is rude to ask guests to disrobe in order to enter your home, unless they have exceptionally muddy boots. If you cannot afford to maintain your carpet against the onslaught of guests, consider a more economical aternative. Some people have problems with foot odor and/or foot fungus, and should not be forced to endure the embarassment of removing their shoes to accomodate the fact that you don't want to clean your flooring. If I received an invitation with a 'no shoes' stipulation, I'd decline to attend if socially feasible. If I am asked to remove my shoes, I do so, but I end up feeling ill at ease, and avoid that home in the future. I find that most 'no-shoes homes' are a little too sterile for my liking anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I would be happy to have you as my guest, regardless of your condition. When I requested that you remove your shoes, a simple "I have a condition that makes it dangerous" or "do you have house slippers?" would be a sufficiently courteous response from a good guest.
Um, forcing your guests to disclose a medical condition in order to receive an exemption from your rule is actually quite rude. It should be assumed that someone with a medical condition may not want to reveal it to you.

What this boils down to is the degree to which a host is accomodating of guests. To what extent do you allow yourself to be inconvenienced, (i.e. having to clean your flooring)? Some people are far more accomodating than others, obviously. Everyone has a different level of tolerance. Some draw the line at smoking, others at shoes.

If I visited your house, I would graciously comply with your request that I partially disrobe, but I would make a note to myself that you were kinda uptight, and I would jokingly ask about the degree of sterility of the slippers you would offer me to wear.

What I find amusing are those homes with dogs running around bare-pawed, but where guests must remove their shoes. Sort of a disconnect!

Cleanliness may be next to Godliness, but here on earth, it's also next to lonliness!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,157,852 times
I think that people who obsessed with being shoeless and not allowing people in with shoes because it will ruin their carpets should consider having flooring. That's what we do in my house. We have all flooring everywhere and smaller area rugs so if anything gets dirty we can just take out the mop or launder the rugs. I think it's ridiculous to have people take off their shoes to go into someone else's house. You might as well not let them sit down or have them touch anything as well. Unless it's customary in the culture then I think it's rude.

What if I don't want to be barefoot on your disgusting carpet and get an infection or fungus? No thank you.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:27 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,157,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
We always take our shoes off at home, and ask that our guests do as well. I don't want dirt and crap from outside, including pesticides, tracked all over our floors. Plus, we have animals, and they are always on the ground, often eating treats off the floor, etc. I don't want them to get sick from crap that's tracked in, either. So we have a shoes off policy.
I"m sure the animals are doing a good enough job of adding bacteria to the ground. Maybe your dogs should be wearing slippers too.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM

432 posts, read 1,665,493 times
I always ask people to remove their shoes when they enter my house. It is my house, afterall. Most people who see use remove our shoes when we enter our house, or see that we aren't wearing shoes, will automatically take their hoses off without us saying anything.

We are planning on replacing the carpet in the common areas with tiles, so this will probably be a non-issue for us someday.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,719,227 times
This custom appears to be more common in Canada than in the US, until I met my husband I have never once entered a house (or had anyone enter my house) and remove footwear. I thought it was really weird. Especially since everyone had these little slip on footies that they wore as a matter of course, and I had no idea what was going on as I entered the front door and everybody immediately started dropping shoes and slipping on footies.

What I find interesting about this conversation is that apparently, some people do this for hygiene reasons. As a person who generally is barefoot as soon a weather permits, I wonder what the appropriate protocol would be when entering a shoe-free residence. Would I request (or demand) to use the bathtub to wash my filthy feet? Should I excuse myself to the restroom upon arrival and wash them without asking first? Should I just wander around and pretend that I don't notice?

Inquiring minds.....

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 AM

244 posts, read 374,677 times
I think the whole issue of "shoes on or off?" is a practice that most can trace back to their childhoods. I remember that whenever I was a guest in someones home, I always removed my shoes(so did my parents and brother). Of course, my brother and I were also those rare children who would shake hands with people we were introduced to respond with "yes sir and no ma'am"

As an aside, I have flooring in my entire house except for the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms so I don't have a problem cleaning my floors after guests leave. But, I do have a problem with guests who let their children jump all over the furniture(including beds) with their shoes on.

At some point, you have to say something....

Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,522 times
Until we moved to the state we live in now (Mi) i have never had to deal with this issue. It was kinda awkward at first, but now its second nature.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM

3,376 posts, read 5,766,900 times
We are renting a house and the carpet is just this side of white. We have area rugs all over to protect it, but we still insist ALL CHILDREN remove their shoes. Most of the adults coming into our home do so when they hear us tell the kids, but some do not. Then again, few of them stay as they're usually just dropping off (playdates, scouts, etc). We don't have many friends here yet, but the few we do know to wear socks - one friend brings her slippers when she comes. I have a couple extra, clean pairs in case they are requested - something I read somewhere.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM

784 posts, read 1,601,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post
I hope this is ok to post this here?
Do you and your family remove your shoes before entering your house and do you make your guests do the same?
Not before, but just after they are inside . . .
An asian friend has a couple of ceramic stools in her entry foyer which makes it very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness