U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,265,592 times

Advertisements

NO, because I don't care if my flooring gets their shoes dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 PM

3,651 posts, read 6,862,278 times
Yes, I have light carpet and I dont want feet goo all over my floors.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM

310 posts, read 1,122,494 times
Depends on how nice my house is. If it's a really nice expensive house then yes, they should take their shoes off. But if I lived in a really run down place that was crappy anyway, it wouldn't matter.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:46 AM

42,672 posts, read 66,885,933 times
I don't see where it is much of a health/wellness issue, but I always do in my own house. It's a habit I acquired in Canada, where it is very common for people to remove their shoes going in the house.

I even take of my shoes when I go to the doctors office, and walk around in my socks.

At home, it really cuts down on the vacuuming, besides being a lot more comfortable, and sometimes I like to sit around with my feet on the furniture.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM

7,331 posts, read 5,817,019 times
We remove ours, most of the time. If a guest comes in the front door, sees our shoes there, and proceeds with theirs on we do not make an issue of it, unless their shoes are obviously muddy.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,004,497 times
I once broke-up with a chick because she asked me to remove my shoes upon entering her house. I immediately labled her a a hopeless control freak.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:49 PM

850 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post
I hope this is ok to post this here?
Do you and your family remove your shoes before entering your house and do you make your guests do the same?
My mother makes everyone do this. She bought the carpet and wants it to last.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM

11,576 posts, read 13,163,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I found this interesting. I'm trying to remember when this practice started and I really can't. 90's? 80's? When I grew up (50's, 60's, early 70's) nobody did this and if you'd asked someone to remove their shoes (unless you were Asian, probably they'd accept it as someone else's culture) people would have looked at you like you were nuts. And an unpleasant host too. We don't remove our shoes. With 2 dogs and 2 cats, it would be pretty pointless.
I guess it boils down to what you experienced as children,as I was born and raised in the same era as you.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,375 times
I suppose that it depends on how people live in their own homes that influences how I'd feel about being asked to remove my shoes at someone elses home. I would not feel comfortable walking in my stocking feet in a home overrun with animals or in homes where it is not the custom of the owners to take their shoes off. My feet are cleaner than their floor! I have a nice big mat at my front door, a chair to sit in and take off/ put on shoes, and a tray for shoes and boots. I lived in the south for 16 years and only once did I find someone taking exception to our request to remove his boots; he said they go on in the morning and come off at night.. It would be entirely impractical to allow footwear in a house in the Northeast. I also feel comfortable knowing that my children can play on a clean carpet on the living room floor.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM

13,363 posts, read 38,762,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
We usually go shoeless in our house, but we're not fanatics about it. It's more of a comfort related issue, rather than a rule. Muddy and/or wet shoes do get removed at the door. Guests can wear or not wear shoes as they desire. When visiting a home or establishment with a no shoes policy, I'm completely at ease with it. IMO, the owner of the home or establishment can set or not set whatever rules they want to. To me, it's not worth getting into a tizzy over one way or the other.
This is how we pretty much handle it.
I don't ask guests to remove footwear.

Shoes do track in a lot of dirt, but it's not worth losing sleep over, especially a household like ours with two huge dogs and a cat--I'm already constantly vacuuming and mopping.

My husband doesn't like the shoes-off habit as much as I do, but whenever our boys come home, off come their shoes, it's kinda cute now that they're adults.

I did not grow up with this custom, I think I picked it up in the 80's, but all my life I've preferred to be either barefoot or in comfy flip-flops or slippers.

I've only been in a couple homes where they requested shoes off, but when I've visited folks during inclement weather I've offered to take mine off, and never been turned down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness