U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 925,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
People tend to do that in NE Ohio. I would not ask a guest to take his shoes off, but most people do it without being asked.
It seems to be the done thing here in Australia as well. I was quite taken aback with it when I first arrived, being expected to remove my shoes, even if they were perfectly clean (car, dry pavement, wiped on door mat).

Now of course, I've just gotten used to it, and it's what I do as soon as I'm invited inside--even back home at my moms in Kentucky. The shoes just come off without a second thought. The only thing about it that still bothers me is that sometimes depending on the temperature and the type of shoes I'm wearing, my feet may, ah, smell, and that is embarassing to me. And I also have a severe hatred of walking across a carpeted floor if I have on stockings or knee highs, as I can not stand the way it feels. God, it sets my teeth on edge just thinking about it! So if I'm wearing stockings, I have to stay on tiles, wood or linoleum! hahaha

since I've become accustomed to the practice of removing shoes at the door, I naturally expect everyone to do the same in my home, and especially now that I have a brand new home with quite expensive timber flooring. i'd like it to stay nice and would feel very upset to find marks from hard heels or soles that leave those black marks. I have a basket full of slipper socks, and regular shoe-like slippers. If you want to go barefoot that's fine, but no shoes please! (although I have a hard time being assertive enough to request the shoe removal, so I'm thankful that husband is tactless enough to not care what anyone thinks of him, and he does the asking! hehehe)

Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,914,579 times
I do service work and have been asked by some customers to take off my shoes. I used to do that, but no longer, unless I picked up mud.

-Working barefoot is not safe or comfortable. Climbing a ladder in sock feet can be rather painful and distracting.

- I now have clean room slippers I will put on that keep normal dirt contained.

- Increasingly, I have had requests to come out and quote work. Get there, take shoes off, look job over. If I have to to to the attic, shoes go back on. Same if I have to run to the truck for something. Tell customer what I can do and price. Answer endless questions about why this and why not that. Customer forgot, wants other info, etc. Each time, I invested as much as 2 hours, still didn't get the work.

Not always, but often, those who are so fussy about shoes are difficult about other issues too, and want huge amounts of work for bargain basement prices.

-

Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM

15,731 posts, read 17,692,004 times
we take our shoes off at the door but do not make our guests do it. I have a friend who does ask people to take off shoes because she does not want to scratch her hardwood floors. If we forget she does not say anything. I have asian friends who's custom is to take off your shoes when you enter the house. It's no big deal to me.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM

42 posts, read 36,263 times
Yes me and my family do remove our shoes before entering our home and put on slippers. When we go at someone house we do remove our shoes and ask for slippers. concerning my guests some do ask for slippers and other doesn't. If it's his first time coming over and doesn't remove his shoes it's ok but, next time i will put slippers at the door and make him understand the message politely.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,873,016 times
No

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,256,211 times
We do remove ours mostly, we do not make others remove theirs. Although many people do. We long ago ripped out all our carpeting and installed pergo which is indestructible. We have dogs and carpeting was a giant pain.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM

10,779 posts, read 14,765,357 times
We do in my home. I'm still immunocompromised and both of my roommates in general take cleaning very seriously. We vacuum daily and wash the floors once a week - sometimes more (3 cats). We do not wear shoes in our home and so, barring medical issues, we will require our guests to remove their shoes. As others have said, you track in GROSS things and since my roommates and I are barefoot most of the time, we are not going to put ourselves at risk (especially me). We also rent our apartment and want to keep it as well maintained as possible.

Luckily this is expected and no one has ever complained. I'm at the age where guests are less expecting to be entertained and more attracted to our home because it's the fun place to hang out. If they are uncomfortable with our expectations, they can choose to hang out elsewhere - but they would be hard pressed to find as much good food, music, and company elsewhere. Our home is a constant rotation of interesting, intelligent, eloquent people coming together to share ideas and good food. Taking shoes off has never been a problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM

15,731 posts, read 17,692,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We do in my home. I'm still immunocompromised and both of my roommates in general take cleaning very seriously. We vacuum daily and wash the floors once a week - sometimes more (3 cats). We do not wear shoes in our home and so, barring medical issues, we will require our guests to remove their shoes. As others have said, you track in GROSS things and since my roommates and I are barefoot most of the time, we are not going to put ourselves at risk (especially me). We also rent our apartment and want to keep it as well maintained as possible.

Luckily this is expected and no one has ever complained. I'm at the age where guests are less expecting to be entertained and more attracted to our home because it's the fun place to hang out. If they are uncomfortable with our expectations, they can choose to hang out elsewhere - but they would be hard pressed to find as much good food, music, and company elsewhere. Our home is a constant rotation of interesting, intelligent, eloquent people coming together to share ideas and good food. Taking shoes off has never been a problem.
I like someone who takes pride in their home I am the same way. I was also raised to take my shoes off when coming into the house. I am 41 now and still take off my shoes when I visit my mom. She does not make guests do it but most do anyway because she has light carpets and has them steam cleaned twice a year.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,562,205 times
Honestly - if most people thought about what they step in daily, everyone would take their shoes off before entering anyones home! While we prefer that people take their shoes off before they enter our home, we do not require that they take them off. We do not wear shoes in the house at all.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM

21,395 posts, read 54,505,106 times
Barefoot is the gross thing. Just wait until you all start shaing the plantars wart virus and passing it back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness