Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:45 AM

58 posts, read 146,330 times

Advertisements

I hope this is ok to post this here?
Do you and your family remove your shoes before entering your house and do you make your guests do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Absolutely! But I live in the Pacific Rim so that's the rule of the cultures around here.
I do have slippers if people want to wear them.

My friend got me a pair of slippers that have dust mops on the bottom! They work really well when I have off from my roomba, vacuuming robot set to not run.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM

58 posts, read 146,330 times
Chielgirl

I would LOVE to have slippers like your friend got you! Do you know where they got them? TIA

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post
I hope this is ok to post this here?
Do you and your family remove your shoes before entering your house and do you make your guests do the same?
Unless I'm in a country where the culture requires the removal of footware before entering a residence, I have never removed my footware when entering another person's home, unless weather and ground conditions would endear me to my host/hostess. I would consider a request to remove my footware for no good reason other than the culture or personality peculiarities of the host/hostess to be an insult and an affront to my culture. I spent over 25 years in the moving and storage business, including 12 years in sales, when I arrived at a residence for a moving estimate and was requested to remove my footware for no good reason, I declined to continue with the sales call as my experience as an over-the-road owner-operator taught me that securing this shipment would be more problems than the job was worth and most likely result in a large residential insurance claim against me and my agent. In the moving business, you need to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
We remove our shoes at the door. I prefer my guests to, but sometimes they forget and I try not to be a nag about it. We have two dogs so I constantly clean the floors anyway.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
We don't remove shoe's in our home but have a jug of water which we dump on slab and rinse our shoe's,our house would be almost uninhabitable if we didn't because of sand etc.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,481 times
This is a great thread because I do very much consider it a health issue! Until a couple of years ago I never gave it a thought, because where I live it's almost unheard of to see a 'no shoes allowed' household. But when I finally thought about all the crud and bacteria that is on outdoor footwear I and my son began leaving our shoes at the door. I now feel very grossed out if someone comes into my home wearing shoes but am also uncomfortable asking them to remove shoes because I never did that before. Luckily I prefer to socialize away from home so it's not often a problem for guests but it is for service people. If I know someone has to come into the house I try to put down washable floor runners and hope they take the hint to just walk on those but half the time they don't bother. I don't mind as much on the washable tile floors but on wood and carpet the idea of outdoor shoes on them is really disgusting to me. Unfortunately only the kitchen and bathroom areas in my house are tiled, the rest of the floors are wood or carpet and thus not deep-cleanable.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 208,555 times
My kids, husband and I remove our shoes simply because it is more comfy, but I would never ask a guest to do so unless their shoes were covered in mud or something. I think it is extremely insulting to do so.
I have door mats outside all the house doors so people can wipe their feet, and area rugs on the inside. When my rugs get dirty, I have them cleaned (several times a year).

Once, we went to a friends house that we have known for many, many years. They had just redone their family room with cream colored carpeting, and we were told that if we wanted to go in we would have to remove our shoes. We passed on the offer and stayed in the kitchen.

I have a felling we were not the only ones to decline removing our shoes, because the next time we went over there, people were in the family room with shoes on, and not a word was said.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Unless I'm in a country where the culture requires the removal of footware before entering a residence, I have never removed my footware when entering another person's home, unless weather and ground conditions would endear me to my host/hostess. I would consider a request to remove my footware for no good reason other than the culture or personality peculiarities of the host/hostess to be an insult and an affront to my culture. I spent over 25 years in the moving and storage business, including 12 years in sales, when I arrived at a residence for a moving estimate and was requested to remove my footware for no good reason, I declined to continue with the sales call
I don't understand how someone's health preferences is an 'insult and an affront to your culture', could you explain? I'm a Caucasian American and my reasons for not wanting outdoor shoes worn in my house is because I don't want traces of whatever you've walked in outdoors (dirt, mud, lawn chemicals, dog pee, some drunk's vomit from last night, whatever) on any of my floors. I'm curious as to what you consider a good reason for shoe removal -- a white shag carpet? Also what would your reacton be if the homeowner asked you to put on a pair of shoe covers instead of removing your shoes? Would you leave in that case also? Not trying to start an argument here, because everyone's entitled to their opinion on this subject and I know it varies widely, but I am truly curious. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I won't be offended if asked to remove my shoes,but my husband would. It is a sore point b/w him and my sis as she demands everyone to do it. I do take off my shoes if I am going to walk on someone's very light carpet. I normally ask children to remove shoes before walking on my light carpet but would not expect or ask adult guests to do so. My expectation of adults is that they are considerate enough to wipe their shoes on the very many mats I have both in and outside my doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness