Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:18 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

My mom tested positive for Lupus. She was tested by her dermatologist recently. She was going there because of a major issue with hives for the last month. She hasn't been feeling well for about 2 months. The dermatologist suggested that she go see a rheumatologist. She has an appointment tomorrow at 11 am. Is it possible that it's a false positive?? Nothing the doctor has prescribed has really worked.

Benadryl
Allegra
prescription cortisone
some other medication that you spray on for itching. I forgot the name.

Today her face broke out in hives and her face was swollen. Usually the hives are on her legs and arms. she has bee scratching and it leaves marks. She's 72. She was tested for food, pet allergies and she's not allergic. Just dust and pollen. can anyone share what they are going through?? She's very upset and worried. Auto immune disorders do run in her family. Her sister and 2 kids have autoimmune disorders. not sure what they are. Thanks so much. BTW she still works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I'll bet she is a B blood type...if so...it really helps to follow the Eat for Your blood Type diet.
Sorry, I personally do not have Lupus, so I didn't match your criteria for posting.
Don't hate me.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'll bet she is a B blood type...if so...it really helps to follow the Eat for Your blood Type diet.
Sorry, I personally do not have Lupus, so I didn't match your criteria for posting.
Don't hate me.
That's ok. She's been eating bland and GF. Hopefully the rheumatologist can shed some light. She has little hope.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:09 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Don't hate me.
1. There is ZERO correlation between blood type and Lupus

2. The "Blood type Diets" are absolute nonsense

CONCLUSIONS:
No evidence currently exists to validate the purported health benefits of blood type diets. To validate these claims, studies are required that compare the health outcomes between participants adhering to a particular blood type diet (experimental group) and participants continuing a standard diet (control group) within a particular blood type population.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23697707

Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. There is ZERO correlation between blood type and Lupus

2. The "Blood type Diets" are absolute nonsense

CONCLUSIONS:
No evidence currently exists to validate the purported health benefits of blood type diets. To validate these claims, studies are required that compare the health outcomes between participants adhering to a particular blood type diet (experimental group) and participants continuing a standard diet (control group) within a particular blood type population.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23697707
My DH tried this diet. it did not work.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Have her start taking Pepcid or Zantac along with the Allegra.

She could have a mast cell activation disorder.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Have her start taking Pepcid or Zantac along with the Allegra.

She could have a mast cell activation disorder.
she already take protonics for acid reflux. I did look up that disorder and it could be that but I am not filling her head with anything because she will obsess over it. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
she already take protonics for acid reflux.
Your best bet is what you already have planned....seeing the Rheumatologist...

You asked can there be false positives on testing? If she has only had an ANA test then yes, there are absolutely false positives on this test.

Of the medications you listed that your mom has tried, none of them are typically used for lupus so if in fact she does have lupus there are many others that can be tried by the Rheumatologist.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:54 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Sounds like discoid lupus. She needs to cover up when out in the sun.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
she already take protonics for acid reflux. I did look up that disorder and it could be that but I am not filling her head with anything because she will obsess over it. Thanks.
Pepcid and Zantac are H2 blockers. Protonix is a proton pump inhibitor. Both help with acid reflux, but H2 blockers are actually blocking the release of histamine in the stomach, and are commonly prescribed for people with hives. My daughter takes antihistamines and a H2 blocker for cholinergic urticaria. The antihistamine alone doesn't provide the relief that the combination provides. Her allergist has her taking Zyrtec and Pepcid twice a day. It doesn't prevent the hives but the hives aren't as severe and she can lay in her bed without getting hives on the side of her body touching the mattress, which is a big improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness