U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:46 PM

4,288 posts, read 7,253,601 times

Advertisements

So, I guess I have & it came on extremely suddenly, meaning one week I was fine as always and the next week, things started happening.

I have two pulmonologist opinions who say it. I guess I'll just keep my 2 inhalers pretty stocked & on hand so when I have to use them, I will and when I don't, I won't. Two 2 inhalers are:

- Ventolin HFA
- Asmanex Twisthaler OR trying to obtain the milder Pulmocor Flex Inhaler...has anyone tried both to give a comparison?

Anyone tend to get dizziness from either one by any chance? Any tips, to ease the rest of my days, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 PM

10,634 posts, read 17,915,120 times
I had asthma as a kid and once I moved out of my parents' cat box, it went away for 20 years. It came back recently, much worse than it was when I was a kid. There are lots of places I can't go because I have an asthma attack just walking in. Right now I'm taking Breo every day, and I have a ProAir inhaler and a Ventolin inhaler to use for acute symptoms. I don't feel like the ProAir works as well.

Things to consider: air quality days, cold weather, dust storms, things like that can make your asthma suddenly much worse. You may want to wear a mask when you're outdoors on dusty or smoky days.

You're taking the Asmanex Twisthaler every day, right? and the Ventolin when you have acute symptoms?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:57 PM

5,716 posts, read 3,303,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
So, I guess I have & it came on extremely suddenly, meaning one week I was fine as always and the next week, things started happening.

I have two pulmonologist opinions who say it. I guess I'll just keep my 2 inhalers pretty stocked & on hand so when I have to use them, I will and when I don't, I won't. Two 2 inhalers are:

- Ventolin HFA
- Asmanex Twisthaler OR trying to obtain the milder Pulmocor Flex Inhaler...has anyone tried both to give a comparison?

Anyone tend to get dizziness from either one by any chance? Any tips, to ease the rest of my days, etc.?
Mine happened just like that when I was 27. I was out running a few miles with my husband when all the sudden out of nowhere I got the worst Asthma attack ever...never showed any sign at all of it before then. I recognized immediately what it was though, because my Dad had Asthma. It was really bad at first.

Decades later, it is much better now, sometimes I still get attacks but not anywhere as bad as it use to be.
I still occasionally get attacks though...just always have a rescue inhaler handy. Plus, I take a pill daily for
the prevention of Asthma/allergy symptoms.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 PM

19,348 posts, read 51,949,912 times
I developed it when i moved to Salt Lake City. I was 59 and blamed it in part on the altitude. Going from sea level to 4,700 ft was a shock!

Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 AM

6,782 posts, read 3,470,976 times
It is genetic in many cases. I was awful as a child, then good through my teen years, until I broke my chest. If my weight is well managed, my symptoms seem to be better. My mother was not diagnosed until she was in her 50's. The doctors did not understand before that, how I was the only one with it. My son also has asthma.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Thank you guys for taking the time to post! Tell me more.

I'm still trying to figure out my triggers. All I know is, I tend to feel better in the morning/day as opposed to the evening/night. It's better when I'm outdoors as opposed to in my apt.

No foods, except wasabi trigger it.

The weather/temperature doesn't seem to have any effect.

I know when I see those leaf blower guys outside, I try to avoid them just in case. Not that anything's happened yet regarding that.

No one's ever smoked around me ever. I'm wondering if it's my apt that I've lived in for 5 yrs now. It's a small space and I guess I could have dusted more often now that I look back on it. I guess it finally developed after a few years. And regarding my workplace, I wouldn't be surprised if that played a small part in it, although, I was never in the same room/bldg for more than ONE year at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
...You're taking the Asmanex Twisthaler every day, right? and the Ventolin when you have acute symptoms?
Yes, however, I've stopped both inhalers for about the last month now because I started developing random dizzy spells after about 1.5-2 mos after starting the Asmanex & I wanted to see if that was the cause of the dizziness. I'm leaning towards NO, plus a couple of drs said the inhalers don't really cause dizziness. I'm actually getting more concerned about this dizziness nowadays than my breathing.

I'm still breathing good, so this time will also be a good test to see how long I can go WITHOUT taking the inhalers & still be good. If I notice my breathing's not as good again, I'll start taking the Asmanex again (& the Ventolin as needed).

Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 AM

15,243 posts, read 4,794,650 times
I've talked about my friend and she says the asthma she deals with came on in her 40's or so, she is 65+ now and uses a med and inhaler a couple times per day and so improved taking grape seed ex. She did tell what triggered it and I keep forgetting what she said. She has allergies to a lot of foods which she eliminates.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM

10,634 posts, read 17,915,120 times
Are you on blood pressure meds? Those are more likely to cause dizziness.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Are you on blood pressure meds? Those are more likely to cause dizziness.
No, no other meds at all. My blood pressure's always been good.

I have no idea what' causing this dizziness, but it's NOT a good feeling.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:24 AM

67,253 posts, read 76,954,607 times
Our oldest daughter has always been bothered by chest infections was diagnosed with Asthma a few years ago. She uses an inhaler a couple times a day but doesn't take anything else for it except an over the counter pill once a day. I do not have asthma but I do have allergies. Until I was in my 60s I never had a bit of trouble. When we moved to NM I started having lots of problems during the spring season. it was so bad I could hardly get through those few months each year. Now, I too take an over the counter pill each night, year around. I do have trouble but not as bad as in NM>

I do not Know many people who are not allergic to something or another. For those who aren't feel lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or