Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If you don't have a family history of colon cancer, consider yourself lucky. My dad, brother, and sister all had it, and another sister recently had polyps removed during her colonoscopy.

If I can prevent colon cancer by getting a colonoscopy every few years, I'm happy to go through it...much better than dying from colon cancer like my loved ones have done.

Don't know of any family colon cancer BUT in their days, they didn't have these procedures anyway. One can have polyps I believe and not know and they are fine. I'm counting on my antioxidant too for prevention and it's used in cancer research clinics for treatments. I have that info posted in Alt Med whoever cares. Sometimes we can know too much and this can make us sick with worry. My thinking anyway. J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If you don't have a family history of colon cancer, consider yourself lucky. My dad, brother, and sister all had it, and another sister recently had polyps removed during her colonoscopy.
If I can prevent colon cancer by getting a colonoscopy every few years, I'm happy to go through it...much better than dying from colon cancer like my loved ones have done.

My father had "no family history of colon cancer at all" but he got it when he was 53 and was dead within 3 months. He was a doctor and lived a healthy lifestyle. But his sister and brother both died in their early 40s so who knows what might diseases they might have had if they'd lived longer?

It irritates me to no end to see people pooh-poohing the need for colonoscopies and almost bragging about how they're immune to this terrible disease just because no one in their family has had it. How can anyone say that there's no cancer in their family? Sometimes family members die in their 30s and 40s -- how does anyone know what disease they might have come down with had they lived into their 50s or 60s?

Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My father had "no family history of colon cancer at all" but he got it when he was 53 and was dead within 3 months. He was a doctor and lived a healthy lifestyle. But his sister and brother both died in their early 40s so who knows what might diseases they might have had if they'd lived longer?

It irritates me to no end to see people pooh-poohing the need for colonoscopies and almost bragging about how they're immune to this terrible disease just because no one in their family has had it. How can anyone say that there's no cancer in their family? Sometimes family members die in their 30s and 40s -- how does anyone know what disease they might have come down with had they lived into their 50s or 60s?
Oh don't let that irritation make you sick. I don't get irritated with those doing all the procedures, no way. Everyone chooses to do what they do. I heard a long time ago if something does not get you, cancer will in the end..both parents 91 and 95 had cancer at the end of their long lives. At those points they wanted no treatments, just some pain meds. Of course, people die in their sleep, boy is that the way to go.... We do what we believe is our best and when it's time, it's time.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
My experiences:

First colonoscopy I got many years ago...they used versed and other sedatives, I woke up saying "it hurts", they gave me more, I woke up again...told the nurse I was awake and hurting, she said I just imagined it....I told her what the doctor had said during the procedure so she then said "I guess you were awake", I know others who claim they don't remember anything. (Polyps were found.)

Second colonoscopy some years later....thank goodness they used Propofol. I told the nurse how I reacted to the previous sedatives and she said they didn't use those anymore. Still, as I was wheeled out another nurse said as soon as I moved they were right there with more Propofol. At least I don't remember moving or any pain. (Again polyps were found.)

I'm going in again this year. I am 70.

Last edited by pekemom; 10-11-2017 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 05:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Don't know of any family colon cancer BUT in their days, they didn't have these procedures anyway. One can have polyps I believe and not know and they are fine. I'm counting on my antioxidant too for prevention and it's used in cancer research clinics for treatments. I have that info posted in Alt Med whoever cares. Sometimes we can know too much and this can make us sick with worry. My thinking anyway. J
"One can have polyps I believe and not know and they are fine"

Well there you have it....the "expert" has spoken....but is that little tidbit FACTUAL

Fact: Colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the US

Fact: Almost every colon cancer BEGINS as a polyp ( yeah, don't worry you'll be FINE if you don't KNOW about them RIGHT )

Fact: While family history plays a ROLE, the MAJORITY of new patients diagnosed with colon cancer have NO KNOWN RISK FACTORS that means NO FAMILY HISTORY.....so yeah....role those dice if you don't have family history

Fact: When diagnosed early (typically by COLONOSCOPY) colon cancer has near 90% cure rate (grape seeds not so much)

Fact: By undergoing COLONOSCOPY and having polyps removed BEFORE they can transform into malignancy, one is PREVENTING cancer (again grape seed extract doesn't make polyps disappear either)

Fact: By the time colon cancer patients develop symptoms from their disease with bleeding, change in bowel habits etc, the disease has usually progressed to a stage where cure is unlikely...hence SILENT KILLER

So lets review...

Colon cancer caused by polyps

Colonoscopy removes polyps

Colon cancer typically develops with few if any symptoms if not detected early it is usually fatal

Hmm, MAYBE its NOT a good idea to HOPE you don't have polyps or not WORRY about polyps because a certain poster who has never had a colonoscopy and is not a health care professional said you will PROBABLY BE FINE ANYWAYS

Colon Polyps & Cancer Prevention » Arizona Digestive Health

Old 10-28-2017, 07:12 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I found this thread doing a search on C-D for bisacodyl. I am 60, had a c-scope 10 years ago, AM appt, was told stop eating after lunch, take the prep (gallon of liquid) from 2-6 pm. It actually took me til 7PM to finish it and I was up ALL NIGHT on the toilet every half hour or so. Dr. was happy with the results.

This time, another AM appt., they want me to fast the day before, take 4 bisacodyl at 3PM, drink 3/4 gal Nulytely from 4-6PM. Wake up at 3:30 AM, drink the rest of it over 2 hours.

The thing is, I originally had a 4PM appt and then switched to a 9:30AM appt and the prep instructions stayed the same (except for the getting up at 3:30AM!).

I have read some horrible things online about the bisacodyl (I know, I should not do that) and it says on the package "Produces results in in 6-12 hours." So I don't get the reasoning behind this regime.

What I think I will do, is take 2 pills when I get up the day before, 2 at noon, and start the liquid at around 2PM. I will still get up at 3:30 Am to finish the rest of it (sigh).

I am never constipated, never taken a laxative in my life and I don't expect there will be a lot to clean out.

Oh, and BTW, I AM doing it on Halloween!!! But my neighbor will be here with me to help pass out candy (she has a door that faces the backyard and mine faces the street).

I normally wouldn't have scheduled it for then but my choices were 11/1, AM appt, 11/3, 4PM appt (didn't want my friend to have to stay that late and drive after dark with me) or wait until the end of November. This is a followup after getting a positive result on the Cologuard test. So I want to know ASAP if there is anything seriously wrong with me (5% chance, after a pos. test result).

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-28-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I think it may help to do the "low fiber" diet a few days before as a start rather than eating your typical diet and then the prep has a lot more "work" to do. If you start decreasing the bulk and eat lighter things go easier - and I've seen some doctors make that recommendation.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think it may help to do the "low fiber" diet a few days before as a start rather than eating your typical diet and then the prep has a lot more "work" to do. If you start decreasing the bulk and eat lighter things go easier - and I've seen some doctors make that recommendation.
I am doing that.

I forgot to add, I had an acquaintance (fellow snowbird) that died of Colon Cancer. She never had a colonoscopy. When we arrived south in October, she was not feeling well and hadn't been diagnosed yet. She was dead by the end of December. So I am a firm believer in getting the test.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So I had the test and everything is fine. Completely agree with Reneeh - I did a low fiber diet for a couple of days (basically junk food since I usually eat vegs and whole grains) and ate very light the day before the prep. Also took two bisacodyl the night before. After the first liter of prep everything had been flushed out. I did two liters the day before and one liter the morning of. And my friend who drove me to and from the hospital was happy to take the last liter off my hands as she has a lot of digestive problems.

The instructions were, 4 bisacodyl at 3PM on prep day, start drinking 3 liters at 4PM, finish last liter at 3:30 AM the day of. So glad I did not follow instructions. I did do the morning of procedure exactly as requested though.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
So I had the test and everything is fine. Completely agree with Reneeh - I did a low fiber diet for a couple of days (basically junk food since I usually eat vegs and whole grains) and ate very light the day before the prep. Also took two bisacodyl the night before. After the first liter of prep everything had been flushed out. I did two liters the day before and one liter the morning of. And my friend who drove me to and from the hospital was happy to take the last liter off my hands as she has a lot of digestive problems.

The instructions were, 4 bisacodyl at 3PM on prep day, start drinking 3 liters at 4PM, finish last liter at 3:30 AM the day of. So glad I did not follow instructions. I did do the morning of procedure exactly as requested though.
You drank 3 liters total? I only had to drink 1 liter, and I couldn't stomach that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness