Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 02:30 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,400,637 times

Advertisements

If Muscular dystrophy was passed from my mother to my sister and then my sister passed it on to her son, could my mother have passed it on to me? My sister's son was the only one to actually have the disease. He died at age 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:10 PM

14,212 posts, read 11,492,242 times
I'm very sorry to hear about your nephew.

Are you male or female? If you're female, there's a 50% chance you are a carrier, in which case your male children could be affected by the disease (50% chance) and your female children could be carriers (50% chance).

If you're male, you either inherited the disease or didn't inherit the disease. If you have it, you'd probably know by now. If you don't have it, your children cannot inherit it.

ETA: I see from your profile that you are male. Don't worry. If you don't have muscular dystrophy, your children couldn't have gotten it from you.

Last edited by saibot; 07-25-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your nephew.

Are you male or female? If you're female, there's a 50% chance you are a carrier, in which case your male children could be affected by the disease (50% chance) and your female children could be carriers (50% chance).

If you're male, you either inherited the disease or didn't inherit the disease. If you have it, you'd probably know by now. If you don't have it, your children cannot inherit it.

ETA: I see from your profile that you are male. Don't worry. If you don't have muscular dystrophy, your children couldn't have gotten it from you.

Thanks for the reply. I was just diagnosed with severe peripheral neuropathy. and I was concerned.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:41 PM

18,844 posts, read 27,279,900 times
Diabetic or non diabetic? How old? MD usually manifests itself in early stages of life progressing rapidly. You'd have known by now. And it does not manifest in neuropathy. Muscle weakness, yes.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:44 PM

14,212 posts, read 11,492,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was just diagnosed with severe peripheral neuropathy. and I was concerned.
Oh, sorry to hear that too. My mother-in-law has it, and it's quite uncomfortable and inconveniencing--caused by rheumatoid arthritis, in her case.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Diabetic or non diabetic? How old? MD usually manifests itself in early stages of life progressing rapidly. You'd have known by now. And it does not manifest in neuropathy. Muscle weakness, yes.

My sister told me that the test that I had was the first test they gave her son. He had Duchenne MD. There are 9 types of MD. Since there is MD in my family I was concerned. Since I have good blood flow and no evidence of diabetes and no connection to my back we need to find out what is causing my numbness. My mother and/or my sister was a carrier.

Pasted:
What are DMD 'carriers'?

DMD carriers are females who have a normal dystrophin gene on one X chromosome and an abnormal dystrophin gene on the other X chromosome. Most carriers of DMD do not themselves have signs and symptoms of the disease, but a minority do. Symptoms can range from mild skeletal muscle weakness or cardiac involvement to severe weakness or cardiac effects and can begin in childhood OR ADULTHOOD. For more, read Females and DMD in Causes/Inheritance.

https://www.mda.org/disease/duchenne-muscular-dystrophy

Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
There are SO MANY possible causes of PN; from medicines, surgery, injuries, health issues like arthritis, diabetes and who knows how many other reasons. These are just a few I've known about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness