U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 PM

1,220 posts, read 478,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
OP here. Could we kindly get back on topic here? i REALLY want to know whether beta blockers might be effective and better tolerated than the ACE inhibitor/HCTZ combo that isn't working for me and is giving me several side effects.

Please respond if you have personal experience with a beta blocker or something else that is working for you.

I am an older woman with a "hot reaction" personality.

No other health issues. Normal weight, good blood work, everything within normal bounds. HBP is the only issue.

Thanks.

No axes to grind here. Looking for helpful advice.

Side effects of drugs occur in a certain percentage of a group of patients, but for the individual, a given side effect either occurs 0% or 100% of the time. It's very rarely that a side effect can be predicted for any single individual. You gotta try the drug and find out.

If you are in fact "a hot reactor," then one of the side effects of a beta blocker can be used to your advantage: they are the "antidote" to adrenalin. And while we're talking about it-- are you sure you have the disease hypertension (BPs always high without meds) or are you just getting high readings due to emotional over-lay-- "white coat HTN," "nerves," aggravation, a poor nite's sleep, too much caffeine or recent exercise or pain effects, etc etc?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 PM

1,018 posts, read 485,185 times
Quote:
i REALLY want to know whether beta blockers might be effective and better tolerated than the ACE inhibitor/HCTZ combo that isn't working for me and is giving me several side effects.

Please respond if you have personal experience with a beta blocker or something else that is working for you.
Before I started taking lisinopril and HCTZ, I was on a beta blocker, atenolol, which made my hair fall out a bit. That's why my doctor switched me to lisinopril and HCTZ.

The beta blocker was okay as far as my BP readings, but not quite as good as it is on lisinopril and HCTZ.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 PM

5,267 posts, read 6,224,210 times
I was on beta blocker Metoprolol Tartrate for 2 months and gradually became excessively tired. Switched back to Propranolol, also a beta, but it doesn't seem to control the HBP very well. Lower dosage, though. I seemed to feel more "down" on the Metroprolol. Both control my palpitations. I feel more calm on the propranolol.

Good luck with everything.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:32 AM

5,997 posts, read 4,497,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
After I tried for yrs to get my BP under management, I succumbed to MD's BP meds and she started me on Atenolol 25mg and that's been yrs...it's an older drug as I understand it and very inexpensive. No side effects I know of, but they all cause fatigue.
Atenolol has a very unpleasant side effect, which is fatigue mixed with depression. Try metoprolol (Toprol) - it works fine for me.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:55 AM

2,995 posts, read 1,524,663 times
Quote:
OP here. Could we kindly get back on topic here? i REALLY want to know whether beta blockers might be effective and better tolerated than the ACE inhibitor/HCTZ combo that isn't working for me and is giving me several side effects.

No other health issues. Normal weight, good blood work, everything within normal bounds. HBP is the only issue.

Thanks.

I take metoprolol along with lisinopril and norvasc daily for my HBP, and flecainide as needed for A-Fib.

I would recommend trying the beta blocker if your physician thinks it is a good fit for you.

Yes, it does have a tendency to moderate some amount of 'hot reaction' effect for me, as well as reduce stage fright or performance anxieties. Unfortunately it may go too far, in that some things that SHOULD bother you may now be TOO easy to shrug off. Just keep an eye on it and make sure you are on the lowest effective dose.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Side effects of drugs occur in a certain percentage of a group of patients, but for the individual, a given side effect either occurs 0% or 100% of the time. It's very rarely that a side effect can be predicted for any single individual. You gotta try the drug and find out.

If you are in fact "a hot reactor," then one of the side effects of a beta blocker can be used to your advantage: they are the "antidote" to adrenalin. And while we're talking about it-- are you sure you have the disease hypertension (BPs always high without meds) or are you just getting high readings due to emotional over-lay-- "white coat HTN," "nerves," aggravation, a poor nite's sleep, too much caffeine or recent exercise or pain effects, etc etc?
Funny you mention "white coat hypertension". Even fully medicated for my REAL hypertension, I will often spike at the doctors office for a little bit when I first get there. The odd part is that I've never actually had a fear of medical personnel or facilities (I've always tended to fall asleep in the waiting/exam rooms while waiting). Yet the BP readout will still be high if they check immediately after I get there. Oh, sweet mysteries of life.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 9,184,797 times
Thanks for the helpful observations from the last five posters. Food for thought.

In answer to question as to whether I have the "disease" of hypertension -- I'm afraid I do. I think of it more as a condition, though. Home monitoring shows my BP is high even when I'm calm -- and way high when I'm (over) reacting. This is with the medication I'm taking. Everyone in my family is on BP meds...

As the lisonopril/HCTZ isn't doing much at all (and those nutty side effects!) hoping to convince Doc to switch me to another class of HBP meds to see if they might be more effective. I know it's individual, but was curious if other "hot reactors" have found beta blockers effective.

RE the hot reactor name -- I view it as being emotional. My DH is cool and calm under just about every situation-- and has normal BP. Me--and the rest of my family? Nope--our motors are always running high. No idle speed for us. Just high revs. We, of Hungarian descent, are very emotional. People are fascinating, aren't we?

I have found that 10-15 minutes of meditation/deep breathing brings my BP within normal range...but can't go through an average day staying in a meditative state. I am tempted, sometimes, to move to a cave and become a meditative guru...but not very practical.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:21 AM

8,862 posts, read 5,994,451 times
Quote:

Thanks.

It's hard to say whether or not a beta blocker would work to control your blood pressure better than an ace inhibitor, or something else. Everyone's experience is different, and often it's a matter of trial and error when you begin taking medication for hypertension, to see what ( and dosage) best controls your blood pressure with the fewest side effects.

That said, my own experience is with several drugs I take for hypertension, one is Losartan, another Matzim LA, and a beta blocker metoprol tartrate ( used mostly to control heart rate, I have issues with atrial flutter, history of superventricular tachycardia, but this med also works to control blood pressure). I've taken these meds for years, side effects at this point are minimum, although the metoprolol lowers my heart rate sometimes into the 40's but only at rest, it ramps up as I need it to.
My blood pressure is well controlled on this combination of meds, altbough I think the regular exercise helps too. The metoprolol is a low dose ( I take 50 mg/day, divided into two doses.)

Just one thought about the HCTZ, though, don't know if this would be an issue in your case, but I took losartan-hctz for years, and during an incident of atrial flutter I had about two years ago they found I was a little dehydrated and my electrolytes ( potassium, magnesium were also low). The cardiologist told me I didn't need a diuretic, that it was his opinion that diuretics were prescribed too often as blood control medication and he switched the losartin-hctz to losartin.

Perhaps, especially if you're sweating excessively and losing water that way, the additional water lost from the diuretic HCTZ is contributing to adverse reactions from your medication? Just a thought, IMO whether or not you need that diuretic, or would do better on different medications might be a worthwhile conversation with your doctor.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 AM

4,359 posts, read 10,184,844 times
Quote:

Thanks.

Beta blockers have been around forever and are generally well tolerated and inexpensive

One of the more common side effects is drowsiness

Some studies had suggested that while effective in lowering BP, beta blockers might not have the same cardioprotective effect of other drugs in patients who have not had a previous heart attack

Certainly worth looking into based on your profile

Old 08-05-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful observations from the last five posters. Food for thought.

In answer to question as to whether I have the "disease" of hypertension -- I'm afraid I do. I think of it more as a condition, though. Home monitoring shows my BP is high even when I'm calm -- and way high when I'm (over) reacting. This is with the medication I'm taking. Everyone in my family is on BP meds...

As the lisonopril/HCTZ isn't doing much at all (and those nutty side effects!) hoping to convince Doc to switch me to another class of HBP meds to see if they might be more effective. I know it's individual, but was curious if other "hot reactors" have found beta blockers effective.

RE the hot reactor name -- I view it as being emotional. My DH is cool and calm under just about every situation-- and has normal BP. Me--and the rest of my family? Nope--our motors are always running high. No idle speed for us. Just high revs. We, of Hungarian descent, are very emotional. People are fascinating, aren't we?

I have found that 10-15 minutes of meditation/deep breathing brings my BP within normal range...but can't go through an average day staying in a meditative state. I am tempted, sometimes, to move to a cave and become a meditative guru...but not very practical.
So glad you mentioned this, I am actually 50% Hungarian, so I can relate to your situation!

Oh, and when I was diagnosed, I was at 220 over 160, and my heart felt like it was being squeezed in a fist for a few months. So no meditative treatment was going to cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness