U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:41 AM

95 posts, read 47,530 times

Advertisements

I'm on 12.5mgs of metopropolol succ ER to control HBP. I have no side effects at all. I'm prone to adrenaline dumps which drives up the BP and HR. This drug pretty much keeps me calm and the adrenaline under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:27 AM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Atenolol has a very unpleasant side effect, which is fatigue mixed with depression. Try metoprolol (Toprol) - it works fine for me.
Is Toprol in same class as Atenolol, price wise...Do you know. I've been taking Atenolol so long and it's so affordable, don't carry drug insurance, so I'm always aware of what I'm going to try. I have a lowness from chronic OA pain but got long depression yrs back fixed with thyroid support and getting Vit D in a good place.

My morning 1 cup coffee gets me going for the day. I'm not the ball of fire I was before hitting this 79 yr mark.

Before I succumbed to BP meds I tried everything and found a book The Blood Pressure Hoax and the author talks about foods and CELERY lowers BP fresh and I'm sure supps can too. There is an oil in celery that works with this.

Magnesium is important for heart health.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-05-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,058,122 times
I am taking a beta blocker, originally prescribed to regulate a cardiac arrhythmia, but now taken in combination with an angiotensin II receptor antagonist, which keeps blood vessels from narrowing & causing hypertension, and lowers stroke risk. There is a strong hx of hypertension & strokes in my family...I've been hypertensive since my early 30's & am not obese.

This drug combo has worked well for me for many years, no side effects.

If I were you, I would be concerned about HCTZ use...it's a diuretic, can dehydrate you, & its use in hypertension management is questionable.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 AM

8,625 posts, read 5,763,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Is Toprol in same class as Atenolol, price wise...Do you know. I've been taking Atenolol so long and it's so affordable, don't carry drug insurance, so I'm always aware of what I'm going to try. I have a lowness from chronic OA pain but got long depression yrs back fixed with thyroid support and getting Vit D in a good place.

My morning 1 cup coffee gets me going for the day. I'm not the ball of fire I was before hitting this 79 yr mark.
From what I can tell, both metoprolol and atenolol are comparable in their prices, metoprolol has been around for a long time too. Metoprolol is available in a long acting form that's taken once a day (metroprolol succinate) and this seems to be a little more expensive than the shorter acting form (metoprolol tartrate) which is generally taken twice a day. I take metoprolol tartrate- a 50 mg capsule which I divide in half and take half in the AM, and the other half just before I go to bed. It's the cheapest prescription I have, I have prescription drug coverage from our secondary (to Medicare) insurance, and my copay for a 90 day supply is a mere 46 cents!

Maybe you are already familiar with the Good Rx site, but it is an excellent one for checking out and comparing costs for prescription drugs, you can put in the name of the drug you're looking for, and your zip code, and it will give you the comparable costs of the drug at various locations around you. You can print out coupons for each drug too-might be that the posted prices are contingent on using those coupons, but they're easy and available to use.

https://www.goodrx.com/

Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 AM

4,990 posts, read 9,053,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I am taking a beta blocker, originally prescribed to regulate a cardiac arrhythmia, but now taken in combination with an angiotensin II receptor antagonist, which keeps blood vessels from narrowing & causing hypertension, and lowers stroke risk. There is a strong hx of hypertension & strokes in my family...I've been hypertensive since my early 30's & am not obese.

This drug combo has worked well for me for many years, no side effects.

If I were you, I would be concerned about HCTZ use...it's a diuretic, can dehydrate you, & its use in hypertension management is questionable.
Thanks Marciax3 -- that's very helpful! I do want to get off the diuretic -- tired of the excessive sweating -- not to mention bathroom-going!

Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
From what I can tell, both metoprolol and atenolol are comparable in their prices, metoprolol has been around for a long time too. Metoprolol is available in a long acting form that's taken once a day (metroprolol succinate) and this seems to be a little more expensive than the shorter acting form (metoprolol tartrate) which is generally taken twice a day. I take metoprolol tartrate- a 50 mg capsule which I divide in half and take half in the AM, and the other half just before I go to bed. It's the cheapest prescription I have, I have prescription drug coverage from our secondary (to Medicare) insurance, and my copay for a 90 day supply is a mere 46 cents!

Maybe you are already familiar with the Good Rx site, but it is an excellent one for checking out and comparing costs for prescription drugs, you can put in the name of the drug you're looking for, and your zip code, and it will give you the comparable costs of the drug at various locations around you. You can print out coupons for each drug too-might be that the posted prices are contingent on using those coupons, but they're easy and available to use.

https://www.goodrx.com/

Thanks as I've said here I don't take many meds and don't carry a supplement to medicare as I spend the brunt on supplements (prevention). When Pres D first came out we had a lady insurance broker who worked on me so hard for me to buy into Pres D which was very cheap then compared to today and the price increases over the years. I never bought it as my gut kept saying, you are not going to need high price drugs as you take care of your health with prevention. So far I've been just fine and can handle the few low priced drugs...this ordeal I've been thru with knee well that's another story and it will all come out in the wash in the end...I believe that. The medical world is NOT poor and does very well with what is charged to the people/insurance companies. Just like landlords I can't feel too sorry for them. They cry poor but good grief, they are not, and moan when they have to fix something.

I'll mention the other BP med when I next see MD, don't know when that will be, but everything is good enough and sometimes changing things just for change can be negative move. I take a diuretic and often break it in half and do not sweat, could be our cooler weather here too.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM

25,221 posts, read 36,602,015 times
Atenolol with no known side effects, and if there ever was a person who will have them, it's me. I can't even take gabapentin for my nerve pain anymore.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:56 AM

7,132 posts, read 3,008,645 times
I also take Metoprolol and Amlodopine. I haven't noticed any unusual side effects and I've been on them about 5 years. I don't have heat intolerance, I have more cold intolerance these days. Always tired but that's been for a long time, even before the HPB medicines.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Atenolol with no known side effects, and if there ever was a person who will have them, it's me. I can't even take gabapentin for my nerve pain anymore.
Oh a friend is now off gabapentin, her negative effects from the drug were dizziness and nausea mostly. She's getting some reduce issues and help by taking grape seed extract now for about 5 yrs and even has her adult daughter taking it as she's such a believer and this woman is so conventional medicine. Her neuropathy was from statins, surprise surprise.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:40 PM

25,221 posts, read 36,602,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh a friend is now off gabapentin, her negative effects from the drug were dizziness and nausea mostly. She's getting some reduce issues and help by taking grape seed extract now for about 5 yrs and even has her adult daughter taking it as she's such a believer and this woman is so conventional medicine. Her neuropathy was from statins, surprise surprise.
I turn into (excuse the French) azzhole. Completely and utterly. Fortunately Nevada legalized marijuana and I take a small hit before I go to bed. Sleep like a baby. Without it I spend a few hours convincing myself that if I wait the pain, RLS and RAS will subside and I can sleep. Then around 2:30 or 3:00 I give up and smoke. I don't need it every night, but when I do I am so thankful I have it.

During the day I just grin and bear it. If it's really, really bad I'll take gaba in daytime, but only once or twice. Seems third time's the charm if that's the proper term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or