U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:07 PM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I turn into (excuse the French) azzhole. Completely and utterly. Fortunately Nevada legalized marijuana and I take a small hit before I go to bed. Sleep like a baby. Without it I spend a few hours convincing myself that if I wait the pain, RLS and RAS will subside and I can sleep. Then around 2:30 or 3:00 I give up and smoke. I don't need it every night, but when I do I am so thankful I have it.

During the day I just grin and bear it. If it's really, really bad I'll take gaba in daytime, but only once or twice. Seems third time's the charm if that's the proper term.
Whatever, you could be pleasantly surprised with trying something NEW. Something no rx is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM

25,221 posts, read 36,602,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Whatever, you could be pleasantly surprised with trying something NEW. Something no rx is needed.
I am. Marijuana.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:44 PM

5,791 posts, read 4,332,283 times
Quote:
Is Toprol in same class as Atenolol, price wise...Do you know. I've been taking Atenolol so long and it's so affordable, don't carry drug insurance, so I'm always aware of what I'm going to try.
I don't know. My company pays for the drug. Here are some online prices. You will probably need 100 mg. Vendor names left out; google it. The "100" below in the first column is number of pills.

100 $0.45 $44.76 Yes Canada, NZ, UK GO
Details

100 $0.45 $44.76 Yes Canada, NZ, UK GO
Details

100 $0.55 $72.33 Yes Canada, UK GO
Details

100 $0.28 $38.00 Yes Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Singapore, Turkey, UK GO
Details

100 $0.35 $45.00 Yes Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Singapore, Turkey, UK GO
Details

100 $0.18 $28.00 Yes Australia, Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Turkey, UK GO
Details

100 $0.35 $45.00 Yes Australia, Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Singapore, Turkey, UK, USA GO
Details

100 $0.49 $59.00 Yes Australia, Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Singapore, Turkey, UK, USA GO
Details

100 $0.35 $35.00 Yes Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Turkey, UK GO
Details

100 $0.39 $39.00 Yes Canada, India, Mauritius, NZ, Turkey, UK

Old 08-05-2017, 05:50 PM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Thanks for all the pricing. It's considerably higher than Atenolol but don't know if I'd need 100mg...I do take 5 mg Amolodopine and 25mg or less of diuretic. I'll ask MD about it but not excited to change stuff. Things are OK enough.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:13 PM

6,527 posts, read 4,788,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Every damn drug seems to have side effects with me.
On everyone.

I couldn't take Lisinopril because of the damn cough

Old 08-06-2017, 12:43 AM

25,221 posts, read 36,602,015 times
Made me cough as well.

Some made me so weak Ii could barely stand up out of a chair.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:32 AM

3,077 posts, read 1,032,967 times
I don't think you're going down the right road here. You need to address your emotional excitability since it seems more likely it is the root cause of your condition - you mentioned meditation gets you back to a normal range, so your issues are probably primarily psychogenic. And, I would consult a qualified therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

If you're still looking for a medical treatment, you might want to try an SSRI to see if it would resolve the HBP. Just be mindful that treating the pressure (which is only a symptom) alone, isn't going to resolve the underlying issues, and SSRIs often have unpleasant sides as well, and about 1/3 of patients can't tolerate them.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:03 AM

8,625 posts, read 5,763,735 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the pricing. It's considerably higher than Atenolol but don't know if I'd need 100mg...I do take 5 mg Amolodopine and 25mg or less of diuretic. I'll ask MD about it but not excited to change stuff. Things are OK enough.
I don't know that the prices of metoprolol are necessarily higher than atenolol, if you compare them on the GoodRx site you can see that. Without the column headers in the previous post it's hard to tell what those numbers mean.

Also you can't really compare absolute dosage numbers between one drug and another, each has its own range, ie, 100 mg of metoprolol does not equate to 100 mg of amlodipine or any of those other drugs you are taking ( perhaps it might compare with the atenolol, but I can't say one way or the other there). In the event you did switch to metoprolol, the dosage you'd be prescribed would be determined by your doctor, not an amount assumed by a forum poster.

Also as you have mentioned, if you're having no issues with atenolol, and it's effective in keeping your blood pressure under control, why switch anyway? Kind of in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:17 AM

10,610 posts, read 12,691,810 times
Quote:
My doctors had no reason to listen to me on BP meds as I went into them not knowing a thing about what I need or should start with.

My doctors have always listened to my concerns and would suggest the supplements to start with as they were and are integrative MD's. Except, of course, the gang I just went thru with this knee infection fiasco.
Then why did you just say this?

Quote:
I think it's safe to say docs have minds of their own. What we tell them can go in one ear and out the other...like they "walk in our shoes".... I'm too on to them.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:09 AM

4,990 posts, read 9,053,008 times
Comments re PhantomPilot posting. Thanks for your observations!

My research has shown that "hot reactors" are born that way -- not made that way by outside forces. It's an integral part of our emotional make-up. Even when I am "calm" my normal BP is something like 158/79 -- and that's with my current BP meds. Not too effective. So, even at idle speed, my motor runs fast.

So, when I said my BP measurements were pretty normal after yoga/meditation, the readings are still above the "normal" parameters set by the medical profession.

But, I do wonder, if maybe not all of us fit into the 120 systolic reading box dictated by the heath professionals?? Isn't it expected that as we age (and I'm a senior), our veins/arteries stiffen (just like our joints!) to a certain degree?

I shudder to think of all the additional side effects I'd have with another layer of medications...food for thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or