Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The idea isn't that, gee, the bone just all of the sudden broke while just standing there, but that it happened during something like a quick twisting move or a misstep.
The studies you offer state that no prior pain was "reported". When something like a fall happens and the two things are virtually simultaneous, it's no surprise that the person wouldn't know which came first.
NO...that is EXACTLY what is being touted in a couple of posts in this thread where the hip breaks FIRST then the patient FALLS...that isn't what happens, and it isn't explained by a sudden twist or mis step either, unless those actions result in a FALL

Hip fracture prior to fall is a known entity called spontaneous fracture of the hip and in extremely thin, osteoporotic women it can and does happen, just not as often as a couple of posts would have you believe.

It certainly is not the majority of hip fractures and is in fact a decided minority as in 10% or less...

There are numerous studies looking at the etiology of hip fractures and the biomechanics of the fall and how it results in a fracture. There are several very common fracture patterns that occur when the proximal femur breaks and based on the fracture pattern it is actually possible to, in many cases, identify exactly how the patient fell...

In conclusion, our results suggest that a typical hip fracture is the result of a fall and a subsequent impact on the greater trochanter of the proximal femur.
https://link.springer.com/article/10...900679?LI=true

Numerous studies show that among older people falling, not osteoporosis, is the strongest risk factor for fracture.5 6 22 When a person falls, the type and severity of the fall (including fall height, energy, and direction) largely determine whether a fracture occurs
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2206310/

The fact that the FALL actually causes the hip fracture is the reason why most research into hip fracture prevention now centers more on reducing falls in the elderly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
One thing about magnesium is that many people don't eat a good enough diet to get or retain the right amount of magnesium. Magnesium is available in a lot of foods--greens, nuts, buckwheat, dark chocolate, turkey, salmon, etc.

But how many people actually eat enough magnesium rich foods every day! Even more important are other foods that people eat, foods that actually decrease your magnesium levels. One is caffeine or any diuretic that causes the body to excrete magnesium. So that means coffee and soda. Then there is alcohol. Also high stress levels --and that includes physical stress such as injury and surgery. And calcium intake must be balanced with magnesium intake because one will "cancel the other out."

So even if you are eating enough magnesium rich foods, there's a good chance you are not retaining all of it.

Causes Of Low Magnesium: Avoid These Common Triggers

That list was taken from this site about magnesium:

What Is Magnesium Deficiency And How Can I Prevent It?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I've heard, and stand by, the theory that when you're healthy and young (late 40's) you should get down on the ground and get back up 10 times a day. Get down on the ground, and get back up. Every. Single. Day. Also do more exercise, walking, kayaking, hiking, whatever. But get down on the floor and get back up 10X PER DAY. Has worked for me.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What hasn't been mentioned here is the additional problem of upper body strength. Older people who do weight bearing upper body exercise, e.g. push ups, tend to have a better outcome than those who just let muscle decline. When you hit the floor at age 70 you're gonna hit it much harder if your arms do nothing and have been doing nothing for years.

You can, and should, take steps to reduce bone loss. But you can, and should, take steps to reduce upper body strength/muscle reduction too.
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the importance of upper body strength, in fact we work on that quite a bit in rehab. I want to clarify though that it's usually not upper body weakness that's behind an elderly person not being able to get their arms out in time to break a fall, it is slowed reflexes and reaction times. Most people do not address this in workouts. Exercises that require quick changes in direction or quick coordinated movements like a speed ladder help train this skill. Watch a high school football practice for ideas too, they do a lot of exercises to train reaction times.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:54 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Speaking of upper body strength, I've used therabands probably starting over 10 yrs ago, from less resistance to a more resistance, and today I'm back with the yellow one as the PT people got me using them again. They are amazing for building strength. I got SO WEAK being down so long in those rehab beds. So many ways to strengthen the body with Therabands.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Speaking of upper body strength, I've used therabands probably starting over 10 yrs ago, from less resistance to a more resistance, and today I'm back with the yellow one as the PT people got me using them again. They are amazing for building strength. I got SO WEAK being down so long in those rehab beds. So many ways to strengthen the body with Therabands.
They sell good quality exercise bands in 5Below, as well, if people don't want to buy the name brand or don't have access to a PT or OT to get them from.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They sell good quality exercise bands in 5Below, as well, if people don't want to buy the name brand or don't have access to a PT or OT to get them from.
We have a medical supply store here that sells every color theraband and that's where I got started...this medical store is a combo of conventional stuff and more holistic alternative supplies even like copper threaded rings and bracelets.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the importance of upper body strength, in fact we work on that quite a bit in rehab. I want to clarify though that it's usually not upper body weakness that's behind an elderly person not being able to get their arms out in time to break a fall, it is slowed reflexes and reaction times. Most people do not address this in workouts. Exercises that require quick changes in direction or quick coordinated movements like a speed ladder help train this skill. Watch a high school football practice for ideas too, they do a lot of exercises to train reaction times.
And this advice to help avoid falls in the first place is where the focus should be regarding lowering the incidence of hip fractures...

Decrease the incidence of falls and decrease the incidence of hip fractures regardless of bone density...

Old 08-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
And this advice to help avoid falls in the first place is where the focus should be regarding lowering the incidence of hip fractures...

Decrease the incidence of falls and decrease the incidence of hip fractures regardless of bone density...
Yes. The reaction times/reflexes are what I was talking about when I said stumbling is pretty much part of life, we all do, but when younger it's barely a blip on the radar...you trip over an uneven sidewalk, go "oops" regain your balance without falling, and continue on with your walk. The elderly person cannot react that quickly when they momentarily stumble, and down they go.

I was trying to think of the name of the exercises my trainer at the gym used to have me do, but couldn't yesterday (next topic = old brains, lol) They are called Plyometrics, and meant to train speed, reaction times, etc along with strengthening. My trainer used to make me jump from the floor onto the workout bench multiple times, which at the time I hated, but his reasoning IMO was sound. If people only do "normal" exercises, i.e. lifting, treadmill, etc, those areas such as balance, reaction times, etc are never getting trained. That IS helpful to be strong if you do break a bone, but muscle itself won't prevent a fall.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
One thing about trying to catch yourself with your arms.They break, too.
I didn't break an arm but did get a nasty wrist sprain one time by that instinctive reaching out.
Suggested is to train yourself to try to relax into the fall.
I can't quite get the needed skill for that but did watch an elderly lady do it.She told me she 'learned' how. Amazing if you can manage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness