Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post
I agree...however to wake up the next morning unable to walk for a week, and then returning to normal? Is that common?
No, but neither is being 400 pounds.

I had a sprained ankle that I got randomly. I just woke up and it was a little off. Then I was walking around San Francisco. I had two jobs and some time off in between that were a mile and a half apart so I figured a walk sounded good. Started getting a bit worse after about a mile but still nothing bad. Met up for dinner and a couple drinks after work and by then it was bugging so I was limping a bit. Then another half mile back to BART by which point it was bugging me. Walking to my car from BART and I was definitely limping. Twenty minute drive home and I could barely walk from the car. The next morning I couldn't walk at all. Fortunately I have some crutches downstairs in the basement so I hopped down there and got them. Definitely weird. It's not like walking 3-4 miles is strange for me. I do that everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
For years i have been wondering why i get these random foot knee or back issues. I initially thought it was stress fractures, but I really think it is because i walk on the extreme outside of my feet. It isn't just pain but is actually debilitating and puts me out of commission...causing me to barely be able to walk. Has anyone experienced this? Or have any input?
When it comes to aches and pains it's part of life. As for me and my experiences would you like a list? Pain is part of getting old. Get used to it. The alternative that is the current rage seems to be hard drugs. Good luck on that road.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:45 PM

110 posts, read 92,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, but neither is being 400 pounds.

I had a sprained ankle that I got randomly. I just woke up and it was a little off. Then I was walking around San Francisco. I had two jobs and some time off in between that were a mile and a half apart so I figured a walk sounded good. Started getting a bit worse after about a mile but still nothing bad. Met up for dinner and a couple drinks after work and by then it was bugging so I was limping a bit. Then another half mile back to BART by which point it was bugging me. Walking to my car from BART and I was definitely limping. Twenty minute drive home and I could barely walk from the car. The next morning I couldn't walk at all. Fortunately I have some crutches downstairs in the basement so I hopped down there and got them. Definitely weird. It's not like walking 3-4 miles is strange for me. I do that everyday.

I have asked around my peers in the strength community who are my size and they haven't had the issues i have had. Aches and pains? Definitely...injuries? Of course..but nothing fitting my description. That is,why i am thinking it really may have something to do with my feet.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Bump

Old 09-01-2017, 03:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I asked in an earlier post if you've been tested for diabetes. Nerve damage from diabetes can cause the injuries you're describing. Treating diabetes and the nerve damage it causes can make the injuries stop happening. It's worth getting tested. It's not hard to find a free health screening most of the time.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post
I agree...however to wake up the next morning unable to walk for a week, and then returning to normal? Is that common?
I have had pain in the back of my knee and it has gone away. I also recently suffered an arthritis flare up in my one knee. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he simply put me on an anti-inflammatory and gave me a knee brace. I do not wear the knee brace all the time; it has latex in it and irritates my skin. What I do is powder the inside of it after washing it and simply wear it while I am home and not working - it does help when I feel my knee is starting to swell and I also take some ibuprofen (but only until it improves).

You might not have the same problems; but an orthopedic surgeon might be a good starting point?

Old 09-05-2017, 11:40 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I come to a crossroads because I'm so analytical but have a phobia with docs ....so I want to know what it is, but won't get examined. Im thinking a sort of tendonitis, may be arthritis...originally thought stress fractures, but I do think the way i walk and my weight do negatively contribute.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:23 PM

So, I am ending a cruise. The first day I did a lot more walking then I have been since this last episode. My feet were still bothering me but not as bad. 2 days later I can not walk because of left knee issue. Couple days later the one knee gets better, and now the right knee is bad. Always seems generally same area back or outside of knee, but can be whole knee when trying to walk. I have always thought that when it goes to the other knee it could possibly be from overcompensating. Knee is always severe pain standing or sitting in back of knee or on side...if lying down sometimes a level 4 or 5 steady pain in area, and Like i said walking is not happening unless hobbling.

Needless to say very disappointed in my vacation. I have also probably lost 25 to 30 lbs since this started about a month ago. When i am in pain i could go days without eating....however i am losing purposely because i do agree the weight doesn't help.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts? This has been going on probably 8 yrs now. I do think walking on outside of feet contribute, also when competing in strength athletics it happens on certain events a couple days later. ...but is always out of blue. Like i said the main thing is its not just pain but is debilitating, can't walk, etc...

Old 09-16-2017, 07:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
You really need to see a podiatrist.

Walking is a very complex act, and the structures that allow it to happen have many moving parts and bearing surfaces.

I turned up with plantar fasciitis several years ago. I thought I had twisted my foot by tripping down the stairs, so I did what I have been doing for decades to gently work through muscle aches, pains, and strains. Only thing is that what you do for muscle injuries simply won't work for connective tissue injuries. So I practically crippled myself over the ensuing months. It kept getting worse, to the point where I had to think twice before commencing a trek across the living room. I finally went to a podiatrist. She analyzed my gait, diagnosed my fasciitis, and told me that while my weight was part of the problem, my biggest issue is that I have marked pronation. I got exercises, advice on shoe choice, and a treatment plan. She also told me it would take about a year for my feet to stop hurting all the time. She was right.

Since then I have found a shoe company, abeo, whose shoes and coordinating inserts work really well for me. I can now walk a couple miles w/out killing my feet, and I am very gradually increasing the mileage. I will probably never again hike 10 miles with 40 pounds on my back, but that's OK.

I would never have discovered what is going on with my feet on my own. Stop messing around and go see a podiatrist.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
E.Beef,

I don't think you mentioned your age. What is your age? Knees are not constructed to hold 400 pounds for a lifetime. The extra weight (and age through years of use) can make knee cartilage wear away where it becomes bone rubbing on bone which results in severe pain which is called osteoarthritis.

Even if you have some cartilage left in the knee(s) there can still be significant pain from osteoarthritis.

Extra weight can also cause problems with feet. Feet are not constructed to easily hold 400 pounds for a lifetime either. It's not unusual for people who have osteoarthritis in the knee(s) to also have foot problems of pain, arthritis, bone spurs, misalignment.

(It is not necessary to be overweight or carrying 100's of pounds for these maladies to happen either. They can happen just from use over the decades)

There is an excellent knee brace at BetterBraces.com which is specifically for osteoarthritis and it does help a bit. I have a bunch of different braces, all of which are helpful. If you want to know which knee brace at BetterBraces.com is especially for osteoarthritis, I can send you a Direct Message, if you'd like. It sounds like you should be wearing a knee brace at all times, or much of the time.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-16-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness