Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 12:13 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
My wife recovered from a knee replacement at home without any difficulty. The hospital wouldn't let her leave until she had climbed a flight of stairs - about three hours after the surgery. There's a lot of drama in this thread, a little of it justified but mostly not.
Yes...I shake my head at the outrage, consternation, judgement, etc...

Some people have a much higher threshold for risk, have the attitude that they will cut their own lawn and go up and down their own stairs until they leave feet first.

Others are much more cautious about such things, and proactive about controlling every possible step along the way.

I've seen more than one family caught unawares...One retired Army Officer, in great shape, save for a bad back. In his mid 70's, he climbed 6 miles over 8 hours to the summit of Mt. Maunakea...Months later, a surgery left him wheelchair bound. He now uses his living/dining room as his bedroom.

Strokes can have similar devastating consequences.

My point is, that if you've seen and personally dealt with these situations, which aren't all that farfetched or dramatic, you wouldn't want to take chances yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 12:19 PM

14,185 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My point is, that if you've seen and personally dealt with these situations, which aren't all that farfetched or dramatic, you wouldn't want to take chances yourself.
I was with you until this last sentence, which is slightly baffling. What is "taking chances"? According to some of the responses in this thread, buying a two-story house with an upstairs master in your 20s is "taking chances."

Old 08-28-2017, 12:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,503,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why? Must a single story be a one bedroom with no amenities - one story does not dictate downsizing. You're overstated your case and apparently haven't looked at any one-story homes/condos.
7 years ago we built a single story house with 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, huge great room, patio and 2 car garage. We hated leaving that house when we received a new employment opportunity. Relocation was in order and we had to leave it. I'd still pick up that house and move it 800 miles if I was Uber rich. Loved it!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:28 PM

48,261 posts, read 34,383,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was with you until this last sentence, which is slightly baffling. What is "taking chances"? According to some of the responses in this thread, buying a two-story house with an upstairs master in your 20s is "taking chances."

Who has been talking about 20 year olds?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:
Maybe I didn't say that well, because there are plenty of people that are willing to take that chance. Taking that chance isn't foolish, anymore than not taking it is overly cautious or lazy. At any age, its a chance, its just the odds that change. And, some people move or plan to move more than others do in their life plan.

My Grandmother lived in her home for 50 some-odd years. Some people plan to buy one house and more or less stay put until they absolutely can't.

Other people feel that a house is a stepping stone on their journey through life, and that the house they buy in Raleigh, North Carolina will work for the next 7-10 years, at which point they'll evaluate if they want to add on or buy bigger for the kids, and they stay in the next one for 25-30 years, then evaluate if they want to retire to the coast or Florida, or build their ultimate dream home, or downsize...

Its like many decisions we make in life. I would never pay for an alarm system. I feel that locks and alarms keep honest people honest, and my dog will bark at things that go bump in the night, and if I get robbed when I'm not home, so be it. My stuff isn't that different from the neighors; if I had a Picasso on the wall I might change my mind. But that doesn't mean that my neighbors are foolish or wasting money because they are more comfortable with an alarm.

It isn't worth it to me to have a whole house generator in case of a power outage. However, many people around me disagree, and have them. Still others have a smaller generator to charge phones and run the refrigerator.

Similarly, if someone is planning with an eye towards reduced mobility ten, twenty, forty years down the line, that's their prerogative.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM

14,185 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Who has been talking about 20 year olds?
Quite a few people. Many have mentioned knee problems, surgeries, injuries, and other problems which impacted their ability to climb stairs in their 30s, 20s, teens, and I believe one person gave an example of a 6-year-old (not going to look back through the entire thread to verify that age).

Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 PM

48,261 posts, read 34,383,908 times
Quote:
Quite a few people. Many have mentioned knee problems, surgeries, injuries, and other problems which impact their ability to climb stairs, as early as 18 years old.
Yeah, they were pointing out that stairs can be trouble even if it is not from aging. That makes sense. I don't think anyone is saying don't buy a house with stairs, just that it can be a trouble at any age.

I have trouble with anyone judging anyone for what type of house they want and why. That's just..... just...

Plus, this thread by someone who read a book, and decided if you PLAN for something, you will cause it to happen. Which is just not true.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2017, 01:41 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I'm in my 60s, play polo, hike in mountains, ranch (heavy manual labor), and have a job in healthcare. No disability (today). No pain.

I always buy a house where I can "age in place." Accidents happen and it's almost the more active one is the higher the risk! I don't plan on stopping any of what I do, but something could happen and I at least won't have to have my kids move my belongings while I pout in a rehab center/nursing home any longer than absolutely necessary.
I did a hike recently where an older guy (I estimate to be in his 50s) was going uphill like a champ. He still bought a 1-story house, as he's anticipating that he may not be able to climb stairs later on (or as easily), even though he's quite the hiker. Also, he did say he's been cutting back on his hiking intensities so, there's also that.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:29 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,865,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I need to live somewhere I can have a knee replacement with the 6 month mobility problem recovering from that and still be able to sleep in my bed.
Get a minimally invasive knee replacement. Full mobility the same day. My wife had it and walked out of the hospital (after walking up a flight of stairs to prove to the doctor that she was ready to leave). There is, of course, PT and meds but you can live on the second floor.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,332,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Get a minimally invasive knee replacement. Full mobility the same day. My wife had it and walked out of the hospital (after walking up a flight of stairs to prove to the doctor that she was ready to leave). There is, of course, PT and meds but you can live on the second floor.
Please share the cure-all for neurological issues that guarantees no instability when doing stairs. I have family members who would love to bring that treatment to the attention of their neurologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness