Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:59 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,503 times

Advertisements

That drug has a Black Box Warning and I will NOT take it. The side affects that can result from this drug is permanent and non reversible. My doctor prescribed for me first. Got it from pharmacy, came home looked it up and called him back to give me a new script. I refused to take it.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:43 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I took Cipro once, years ago, for a UTI...not sure why the doc prescribed such a strong antibiotic for a simple UTI, but at the time I knew nothing about it. I had no side effects, but I will not ever take it again unless my life is in danger.

I took Levaquin (?) once and it started making my legs hurt. I asked my cousin the pharmacist about it and she said to stop taking it. There were no permanent effects...I guess. I do have Achilles tendons and plantar fascias that are always sore, but I also have fibromyalgia (which I already had when I took the Levaquin).

Old 08-25-2017, 03:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Both Cipro and Levaquin have forms of that wonderfully awful fluoride in the mixture.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/809520

Old 08-25-2017, 04:00 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
The risk of side effects is greater the higher the dose and the longer you take it. The risk lasts for years but diminishes as time passes. The older you are, the more likely you will have an issue.

My husband took Cipro years ago for pneumonia but, a few days after he was done with it, he was sliding a box across the floor and tore his rotator cuff. He just leaned into the box to use his weight (he's a big guy too)and felt a searing pain shoot through his shoulder. He had two years of limited use while it healed. At the time, we didn't know there was a possible connection. I stumbled across it a few years later and went back to our insurance claims to verify the dates. I think it was related, he thinks I'm paranoid. We're probably both right.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
The risk of side effects is greater the higher the dose and the longer you take it. The risk lasts for years but diminishes as time passes. The older you are, the more likely you will have an issue.

My husband took Cipro years ago for pneumonia but, a few days after he was done with it, he was sliding a box across the floor and tore his rotator cuff. He just leaned into the box to use his weight (he's a big guy too)and felt a searing pain shoot through his shoulder. He had two years of limited use while it healed. At the time, we didn't know there was a possible connection. I stumbled across it a few years later and went back to our insurance claims to verify the dates. I think it was related, he thinks I'm paranoid. We're probably both right.
Sounds like ligament tear(s). Dr. Darrow and his PRP injections talks about strengthening those ligaments with PRP. You are probably correct.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:07 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I always ask the Dr. who would prescribe something about side effects and read the warnings, etc. before taking it (and certainly not after taking it for days!)

Old 08-25-2017, 07:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I have been prescribed Cipro at least half a dozen times over the years. No ill effects during or after.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:25 PM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
Any meds have a risk vs payoff. An infection can kill you. Urinary tract infections are vicious and can kill you. There is no doubt that some can have bad side effects (risk) but having your organs shut down from an infection makes taking cipro or other antibiotics a no brainer for me. I am over 70. I suggest that when you research the medicine that you also research your infection including images. It might help swallowing the pill.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Next time you should just ask your doctor for that antibiotic that has no side effects.

You know...that one...whats the name...oh, yeah - Nonexistatol.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 PM

81 posts, read 64,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
That drug has a Black Box Warning and I will NOT take it. The side affects that can result from this drug is permanent and non reversible. My doctor prescribed for me first. Got it from pharmacy, came home looked it up and called him back to give me a new script. I refused to take it.
When I told a doctor in a corporate practice -- IOW, I hadn't seen her before -- that I wouldn't take Cipro, she sent it to my pharmacy anyway. By the time I could get another doctor, I did get rid of the (longstanding) UTI by more homeopathic methods. I hadn't believed they would work. Keflex , a bit less scary, had worked before, but the arrogant bi**h preferred the power struggle over sane medical treatment. It seems like refusal to treat, and I wonder if that's strictly lethal ... uh, legal.

It's the worst trait of many doctors -- prescribing whatever they know works in the short run, and dealing with the effects later, via more drugs. Why should they care about the lasting problems they foist off on sick patients?

That's old news, I know, but I'm tired of being considered a problem by doctors who CAUSE problems, because they want to believe patients are too unintelligent to understand what's good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness