U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2017, 11:24 AM
 
692 posts, read 706,084 times
Reputation: 459

Advertisements

My doctor put me on ciprofloxacin for 10 days at 500 mg twice daily for a stomach infection. I felt much better after using it 3 days.On the night of the 5th day (had taken 10 pills by then) I started to read the horrific stories about cipro and I stopped using it.I saw there were so many who took cipro who had to stop using it because they were in pain ,particularly in their tendons. I quit because I got scared.I took my last cipro pill just over 2 and a half days ago and other than dry mouth (which seems to be getting better) I havent noticed any side affects from cipro. In fact I was mentioning to a friend that the cipro seemed to knock out the infection and the aches and pains I had been experiencing ,especially in my legs, and that they were largely gone.So I feel pretty good but is there any reason to believe that cipro will have a delayed effect over the next several days and weeks? If i had never read the bad stories about cipro I would be feeling good but now I cant get it out of my head about cipro having delayed effects that have crippled people.Part of what keeps me worried is that I have garden variety aches and pains and a bit of chronic fatigue that comes and goes.So when you feel a twinge somewhere you start to think is that a regular pain or cipro?.

Last edited by senecaman; 08-25-2017 at 12:06 PM..

 
Old 08-25-2017, 11:31 AM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12658
OP, I can't answer that I just know about negative effects from this class of drugs.

Do you make sure that you take probiotics when taking abx drugs. I take probiotics daily anyway but with abx drugs, FOR SURE.

I have a friend who was prescribed it but would not take it and asked MD to give her another abx.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 AM
 
692 posts, read 706,084 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP, I can't answer that I just know about negative effects from this class of drugs.

Do you make sure that you take probiotics when taking abx drugs. I take probiotics daily anyway but with abx drugs, FOR SURE.

I have a friend who was prescribed it but would not take it and asked MD to give her another abx.
Thank you. I am taking a probiotic once a day.Do you have one in particular that you would suggest using?Right now I am using TruBiotics by "1 A Day".
 
Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: The Northeast Kingdom via California
361 posts, read 254,700 times
Reputation: 406
I was given cipro (along with several other abxs and an antifungal) after the removal of a gangrenous appendix last year.

I experienced no ill side effects then and none since.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 11:58 AM
 
692 posts, read 706,084 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
I was given cipro (along with several other abxs and an antifungal) after the removal of a gangrenous appendix last year.

I experienced no ill side effects then and none since.
Good to hear from you! A large part of what makes me nervous now is that 5 years ago I had a horrendous experience with the drug reglan which took almost 5 months to get over.Cipro is a different drug I know but it turns out I am allergic to regland and neuroleptics and I had terrible akathisia. I am worried maybe I have a weakness that would allow cipro to get me later on.The one thing I can say about the reglan is that there were signs that it was effecting me badly while I was taking it before I fully got akathisia.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 12:07 PM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12658
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Thank you. I am taking a probiotic once a day.Do you have one in particular that you would suggest using?Right now I am using TruBiotics by "1 A Day".
I buy Healthy Origins 30billion CFU's and get it from iherb online. I take one daily and also eat plain goat milk yogurt most days. If you do a search with that product and 30b CFU's, other sources come up too, like Walmart. Need to be aware of the CFU content of the one you take.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM
 
692 posts, read 706,084 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I buy Healthy Origins 30billion CFU's and get it from iherb online. I take one daily and also eat plain goat milk yogurt most days. If you do a search with that product and 30b CFU's, other sources come up too, like Walmart. Need to be aware of the CFU content of the one you take.
Thank you!

The goat milk yogurt sounds great too.I talked with my doctor about improving my digestion.The yogurt sounds like it would do me a lot of good. My probiotic has 2 billion cells per capsule.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 12:31 PM
 
4,507 posts, read 6,729,245 times
Reputation: 4079
I've had to take Cipro with Flagyl and it is very hard on your stomach, might make you nauseous, but other than that, no issues. Cipro kills just about every bad bacterial infection and is used for serious infections, it "gets it all" and one shouldn't stop taking it mid course.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 PM
 
692 posts, read 706,084 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I've had to take Cipro with Flagyl and it is very hard in your stomach but other than that, no issues. Cipro kills just about every bad bacterial infection and is used for serious infections, it "gets it all" and one shouldn't stop taking it mid course.
Good to hear from you but I can't and wont take cipro or anything like it again. After my experience with the drug reglan 5 years ago I am tired of being a lab rat. I hope my infection is clear by this point but I will take my chances rather than take cipro again.For the next several days I am going to load up (as much as I can stand)on vitamin C and D (taking 2000 mg of C every 2 hours and 25,000 iu of D daily)and let my white blood cells do their work.
 
Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 PM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12658
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Good to hear from you but I can't and wont take cipro or anything like it again. After my experience with the drug reglan 5 years ago I am tired of being a lab rat. I hope my infection is clear by this point but I will take my chances rather than take cipro again.For the next several days I am going to load up (as much as I can stand)on vitamin C and D (taking 2000 mg of C every 2 hours and 25,000 iu of D daily)and let my white blood cells do their work.

You could even slip in doses of Echineaca as it's a natural abx...just for a good measure tactic. I keep it on hand and take it from time to time as I'm not totally sure the knee infection is totally gone. After two months of strong abx drugs, not the cipro class, thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top