Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

High-Carbohydrate Meals and Insulin Production | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:29 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
At least I see it with my grandkids almost 18 and 21. Still would like to see grandson back off more on sugars. They both saw their mother very sick on interactions from pharma drugs and watched their father die from lung cancer at 55. So they've seen illness and death in their short lives.

Younger people have tuned in decades ago via internet to health issues and so many alternatives and again they saw cancers, diabetes, MS, etc etc in their parents and don't want to go there.

I did NOT have the luxury of the net telling me about getting off Sugars and carbs, nor did my parents or theirs for that matter. And to cut back on sodium.
Just one more thing -- and a very serious thing -- that our government has lied to us about. And another example of the Internet facilitating the sharing of a valuable truth.

I wish you and your family good health.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Since we're talking about generational issues with food, just a few decades ago I don't remember so many people (especially younger people) having, or claiming to have, intolerance to certain things like gluten that we see now.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:23 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
The only trend I see with young people is demanding better/more expensive quality food. So instead of eating at McDonald's they'll eat at Five Guys, instead of coffee at 7-11 it's a latte from Starbucks. They'll choose organic or gluten-free (even if they aren't gluten intolerant). Younger generations are fatter than ever which is why there are so many "body positive" (really fat positive) articles. The latest teen magazine my niece receives included a pretty obese girl in their swimsuit section, something you would have never seen when I was growing up. I think being heavy is much more socially acceptable now than ever so I don't see younger generations improving on their health in the long run. They'll continue with the same unhealthy habits just with more expensive food.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
my kids have cut back their carb intake along with me but they seem to avoid fat as much as possible. They all have sweet tooths so i doubt they will completely eliminate the sweets.

I've tried to eat zero carbs but I find some carbs always sneak back in over the course of the week.
Carbs are not the enemy.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Carbs are not the enemy.
Too many carbs are the enemy. Some veggies give us good carbs.

All those white carbs can lead us to diabetes.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:26 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
well apparently 2 people doing "something" (like you i'm not exactly sure what) is now a "trend"
+1.

At 70, how do you know what younger people are doing anyway?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Too many carbs are the enemy. Some veggies give us good carbs.

All those white carbs can lead us to diabetes.

White carbs are no good in excess, whole grain carbs are great for me, but I tend towards vegetarianism. Has done wonders to reduce my RA symptoms and I feel great.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

At 70, how do you know what younger people are doing anyway?
I don't know if this is directed to me, if so, I'm 79. I have young adult grandkids and so do my friends and I and they see good trends toward better health. They see their parents and grandparents not so great health issues.

I don't have my head in the sand and I observe from other health groups I'm a member and talk to a lot of friends with like minds.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Unfortunately MOST of the out of fit children come from low funds/poverty stricken parents. Some have lost their parents.
Not really. There are plenty of middle class families with overweight and obese children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness