Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When is your practice going to catch up with a lot of the country and offer PRP/Stem Cells?
You are like my 10 y-o nephew. His dad is an engineer and I guess he (the dad) often talks about cars to his son. So they came to visit me last weekend, and I happened to be working on my car at the time. My nephew starts asking me if I had checked this and that... I simply smiled and nodded. Although my nephew meant well, he is utterly unqualified to give me advice.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:43 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
THAT is the reason why insurance WOULD pay for PRP if it worked. Insurance wants to pay as little as possible for an effective treatment.
It does work and more and more are doing it as well as Stem Cells and paying out of pocket.

You think the athletes run and go under the knife with every injury. I've talked about this a lot here and on other posts, but everyone ignores this info.

Medical world up until now has a lot of control over insurance and they want to keep their surgery etc business.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
It does work and more and more are doing it as well as Stem Cells and paying out of pocket.

You think the athletes run and go under the knife with every injury. I've talked about this a lot here and on other posts, but everyone ignores this info.

Medical world up until now has a lot of control over insurance and they want to keep their surgery etc business.

Can you explain how the medical world has control of the insurance industry?

Athletes are uber rich so they can try things on the off chance they work, dropping 15K and then having a surgery doesn't phase them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:

It doesn't work at least 50% of the time. Most pro athletes always go under the knife.

Insurance isn't going to pay for something that doesn't work half of the time knowing they will have to pay again for a real surgery afterwards.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It doesn't work at least 50% of the time. Most pro athletes always go under the knife.

Insurance isn't going to pay for something that doesn't work half of the time knowing they will have to pay again for a real surgery afterwards.
They go under the knife for SERIOUS issues, but for strains etc PRP/Stem Cells is what so many do.

Do some searches of some of them and these injections. PRP/Stem Cells keep them in the games. Many have gone to Germany and other countries and many now are doing them in the U.S. I've posted about this before but they are lost around here somewhere.

Google Koby Bryant and Stem Cells....see if anything comes up.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM

Here's a list of audio/video of patients from a FL medical office. I know most of you won't access them, but posting anyway. I just listened to most of them, and yes I believe they are real people.

Hear Patient Stem Cell Therapy Testimonials

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
jaminhealth,

You're correct about the cost, but where does all that money go? Not into the pocket of the surgeon. The average reimbursement for a physician for doing a hip or knee is about $1,500 and that covers all the work they have to do. Pre op, the case itself, post op etc. Does the hospital make all that money? Sure...but considering they have to spend $10-15K or more on the implant and hardware kit itself, plus all the labor, facilities, overhead etc, that doesn't leave as much as you think.

Who's making most of the money here? The implant manufacturers, a small industry made up of just a few companies. Do they charge too much for their products? Maybe, maybe not. They are doing 100% of the R&D and providing all the staff support, including Equipment Reps who are on call 24/7, ready to be in the OR with the surgeons if needed.

I'm not addressing this to you necessarily, just to anyone who wonders why these replacements cost so much and where the money goes.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:40 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
I MAY not have an infection going on, where did you read that? The surgeon does not want to injection or cut anywhere near where it was for fear of it flaring up.
Infection don't "flare up"....

They are either "there" or "not there"......

That's like being worried about "flaring up" a pregnancy.....

Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
jaminhealth,

You're correct about the cost, but where does all that money go? Not into the pocket of the surgeon. The average reimbursement for a physician for doing a hip or knee is about $1,500 and that covers all the work they have to do. Pre op, the case itself, post op etc. Does the hospital make all that money? Sure...but considering they have to spend $10-15K or more on the implant and hardware kit itself, plus all the labor, facilities, overhead etc, that doesn't leave as much as you think.

Who's making most of the money here? The implant manufacturers, a small industry made up of just a few companies. Do they charge too much for their products? Maybe, maybe not. They are doing 100% of the R&D and providing all the staff support, including Equipment Reps who are on call 24/7, ready to be in the OR with the surgeons if needed.

I'm not addressing this to you necessarily, just to anyone who wonders why these replacements cost so much and where the money goes.
Of course they cost a lot. They are removing a part of your body and replacing it with something they made.

That is pretty darn amazing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Did you read what the surgeon said about insurance paying for PRP/Stem Cells vs doing the surgery? I understand what he said and thought I posted it clearly here.

The replacements can run into the $20-40K prices with everything people go thru with post surgery stuff.

The injections and mostly 3 sessions are needed, can go to about $8K or so if one reads Darrows fee schedule. This is Stem Cells, PRP is less $$.

The surgeon I saw does them, but RIGHT NOW will not touch my knee with surgery or injections due to infection issue.

I just checked into the hip surgeon's yelp reviews and found a new one from someone dealing with a lot of pain after 2 yrs of knee replacement. Maybe I'll post it later. Many surgeries end up with issues.

When is your practice going to catch up with a lot of the country and offer PRP/Stem Cells?
You didn't "post it clearly" because you "clearly don't understand it".....

Here is the question and answer you posted verbatim...

"I asked him WHY, insurance isn't picking up PRP and Stem Cells Yet, and he said this:

The medical world makes much more money with surgery, drugs from the surgery, PT and rehabs from the surgery and what can follow down the road...if revisions are needed, infections set in etc etc..."

Your "answer" makes ZERO sense....

What is so hard for you to understand regarding the simple economics of the situation????

Insurance isn't picking up PRP and Stem Cells BECAUSE the medical world makes much more money with surgery etc.????

Why can't you see that is a non sensical response????

"Insurance" is not in the business of making the "medical world" rich....

"Insurance" is in the business of making its shareholders rich which means paying as LITTLE as possible...

IF an $8000 treatment could be shown to be just as effective as a $20000 treatment WHICH do you think the insurer would prefer to pay for???

It really isn't that hard.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness