Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,539,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
our son in law had it done about 3 or 4 years ago. It worked great, but he was younger. Our best friend tried it about 6 months ago, twice, at an outrageous price; it didn't help much. She will be undergoing knee surgery before long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes it's true I only had one set of shots but it was out of pocket and expensive (nearly 1000 dollars) as the insurance didn't cover it.

But it didn't help my knee pain and ended up having surgery for a meniscus issue. The MRI showed signs of osteoarthritis also.

It may work for some people but not all.
Neither of you mentioned whether it was PRP (Platelet-rich plasma) or Stem Cell Therapy which you had in the case of Suburban-Guy, and which your son in law & friend had in the case of nmnita.

Or maybe BMAC Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate with fat.

So I'm curious which - PRP or Stem Cell Therapy or BMAC - you both are talking about.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That makes no sense. If it worked, it would be GOOD for insurance.

If it worked and it does, it can put a LOT of other types of doctors, surgeries etc etc out of business or making lesser monies.

I'm no doctor or scientist but come from a mountain of common sense and how the world and business works.

When I had hip replacement the surgeon billed medicare $22K for his services, my friend had a hip replacement same yr and her surgeon billed medicare $5K for his services.....talk about doing and trying to do business. And making as much as one can from the insurance worlds.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:06 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,218,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Neither of you mentioned whether it was PRP (Platelet-rich plasma) or Stem Cell Therapy which you had in the case of Suburban-Guy, and which your son in law & friend had in the case of nmnita.

Or maybe BMAC Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate with fat.

So I'm curious which - PRP or Stem Cell Therapy or BMAC - you both are talking about.
our sil had stem cell, using his own stem cells and having them grown. I can't give you details as it is above my simple brain. In the case of our friend I think it was bone marrow but even then, to be honest I do not know for certain. I see her quite often so will try and find out if I remember.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,218,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If it worked and it does, it can put a LOT of other types of doctors, surgeries etc etc out of business or making lesser monies.

I'm no doctor or scientist but come from a mountain of common sense and how the world and business works.

When I had hip replacement the surgeon billed medicare $22K for his services, my friend had a hip replacement same yr and her surgeon billed medicare $5K for his services.....talk about doing and trying to do business. And making as much as one can from the insurance worlds.
From how it is explained to me, it makes little or no difference how much the doctors bill the insurance company and/or medicare. There is a set amount that is paid. You can bill 10,000 or 100,000 the payment, most likely will be the same or similar.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,218,718 times
Here's some interesting stuff...the first just came out today:

https://www.nytimes.com/topic/organi...inline=nyt-org

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/u...pgtype=article

Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
On the stem cells for joints, the doctor takes bone marrow from one's spine area and spins it and injects in joints. People are desperate as having gone thru surgeries and many failed ones and those who have FEAR for surgeries period.

My sister who just died from the battle with MS, well her doctors had her hanging for years on the HOPE that stem cells were coming for her.

Now a friend here who is also challenged with MS, went to Dominican Republic many years ago and got stem cells for the MS she deals with. I haven't seen her for a while and hope she's doing OK.

If and when I can come up with the $$$, I'll do dextrose or PRP for my ankle...the knee I just don't know what I'll do.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:04 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,795,118 times
I'm no scientist... but by random chance I sat next to one at lunch in a ski resort. He's a orthopedic surgeon, professor in a major research university medical school (Cornell University's Weill Cornell Medical College), and a PhD in molecular biology. And an avid skier, like me.

I asked him about the topics of this thread (this was about 6 months ago).

In a nutshell, he said the science doesn't support it... and it doesn't rule it out either. Early on there were some very good results in research-quality academic studies, but in the past couple of years the study results have been all over the map. One study reports a promising result while the next one does not.

At least that's my understanding of what he said.

His view is that some doctors have found plp and stem cell injections to be very, very lucrative, and that's why so much is advertised.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thank you reneeh63 for posting these two New York Times articles!! I haven't researched the 3 modalities yet, so this is very interesting!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm no scientist... but by random chance I sat next to one at lunch in a ski resort. He's a orthopedic surgeon, professor in a major research university medical school (Cornell University's Weill Cornell Medical College), and a PhD in molecular biology. And an avid skier, like me.

I asked him about the topics of this thread (this was about 6 months ago).

In a nutshell, he said the science doesn't support it... and it doesn't rule it out either. Early on there were some very good results in research-quality academic studies, but in the past couple of years the study results have been all over the map. One study reports a promising result while the next one does not.

At least that's my understanding of what he said.

His view is that some doctors have found plp and stem cell injections to be very, very lucrative, and that's why so much is advertised.
Thanks for this information, SportyandMisty! interesting to hear!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM

48,339 posts, read 34,466,848 times
My husband had PRP (which ever one is where they take your blood and separate out the part they want), and it is not clear if it helped (one of many things that were done).

They used a sonogram to in order to ensure it went into the right place, I suspect that part if very important.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness