Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's the same process, and now 3 different types of solutions since PRP and Stem Cells hit the scene. All injections for doing the same thing, different solutions.

Good info here on the history and more on Dr. Koop and the why's it doesn't work for many.

https://www.revolutionhealth.org/prolotherapy-history/

Some providers are even mixing PRP and the Stem Cells for advancement.

I did pretty darn good with good ole original dextrose/lidocaine and when I see myself clear I may try some more of this one from the D.O.
Seriously????

Where in the link does it say anything about PRP???

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING....Prolotherapy is not stem cells is not PRP

Capiche????

PRP and Stem Cells are not injected with the hopes of obtaining the same effect as sugar water....if they are being used that way then WHY would anyone pay hundreds to thousands of dollars compared to tens of dollars for dextrose to get the SAME RESULT????

You are not making any sense and you clearly don't understand the ins and outs of these VERY different procedures...

I guess cortisone injections and hyaluronic acid injections are also "prolotherapy" since they both involve sticking a needle in the knee and that appears to be the only necessary attributes to make the procedure PROLOTHERAPY in your mind....

Glad to see after months in rehab with an infected knee joint from a prolotherapy injection you are ready to hop back on board that train...

The DO should have his head examined if he is willing to do the same procedure on you again...

Lord knows if I had a patient who ended up with a knee infection after injection there is no way I would ever offer that patient the same procedure again..

Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Jam, anyone reputable would not do that procedure on you again.

You are lucky you didn't lose your leg, next time you might.

Please reconsider.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2019, 12:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
All Fall Under the Same Umbrella:

https://drlakatosh.com/prolotherapy-...t-rich-plasma/

Believe what one cares to believe, as we know we can probably get different theories from everyone, MD's and/or other "experts".

Old 04-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:

https://drlakatosh.com/prolotherapy-...t-rich-plasma/

Believe what one cares to believe, as we know we can probably get different theories from everyone, MD's and/or other "experts".
In case one is interested and misses this paragraph in the above info, here it is:

Prolotherapy, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, and Stem Cell Therapy all fall under the umbrella term “Regenerative Injection Therapies” (RIT). This term identifies the philosophy of the treatments as “regeneration” or rebuilding technique, or “proliferation” as in the “Prolo” for Prolotherapy. This is how researchers at the Harvard Medical School explain RIT:

This whole subject interests me SO MUCH as I have had it done and it works and so hard for so many to get these due to cost and then so many end up with expensive surgeries that can give them issues for years.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-07-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Here's the latest on stem cell therapy in a version for the layperson (sorry it's in the evil NYTimes but try to overlook that it's mass media):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/h...cells-fda.html

"Stem Cell Treatments Flourish With Little Evidence That They Work
The F.D.A. has taken an industry-friendly approach toward companies using unproven cell cocktails to treat people desperate for relief from aging or damaged joints."

Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Here's the latest on stem cell therapy in a version for the layperson (sorry it's in the evil NYTimes but try to overlook that it's mass media):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/h...cells-fda.html

"Stem Cell Treatments Flourish With Little Evidence That They Work
The F.D.A. has taken an industry-friendly approach toward companies using unproven cell cocktails to treat people desperate for relief from aging or damaged joints."
Very well done article about the "Wild West" that is stem cell and PRP treatment for arthritis with no real clinical data to support its use...

The very last 2 paragraphs sum up the entire argument "for" these procedures....

As a result, patients rely on testimonials and other informal evidence. But experts caution that word-of-mouth experiences are not a substitute for rigorous studies.

“The power of anecdotes is just amazing when it just catches on,” said Donna Messner, the president of the Center for Medical Technology Policy, a nonprofit research group. “This is how snake oil has been sold for generations.”

Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Then I guess all that's left is to continue to put the knife in the body and HOPE for the best results. Or live with what is as I probably will do. And not Everyone gets good results with those surgeries. I didn't read the article as I believe it was about stem cells and I've decided from enough of hearing from others that they are not doing what I've heard they are, but PRP seems to be the better of the two. Maybe someone wants to dig up some negatives on PRP.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:

[url[/url]

They are nowhere near the same umbrella

Stem cells are living cells that theoretically grow to replace dead tissue

PRP (Protein rich plasma) is derived from your own drawn and spun down blood. It's highly theoretical that this does something to cause tissue to regenerate, whether in joints, faces, breasts or penises

Prolo is basically sugar water that irritates tissue and according to some "tricks" the body into regenerating tissue

None are insurance approved because there is no where near sufficient proof of efficacy

Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 PM

They are all Regenerative Medicine and under the Prolotherapy Umbrella:

Dextrose etc (least costly)
PPR (next costly)
Stem Cells (the most recent) (most costly)

I have had the dextrose over 10 yrs ago and I know how they all work. I got 3 yrs of pain free from the dextrose prolo but we're talking about Stem Cells mostly and I asked about PRP and any positives...I have not had PRP.

They all proliferate and hence under Prolo Umbrella.

Reading the 2nd paragraph here, says "falling under same umbrella"..

https://www.tcpaindoctor.com/proloth...rp-injections/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-13-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Then I guess all that's left is to continue to put the knife in the body and HOPE for the best results. Or live with what is as I probably will do. And not Everyone gets good results with those surgeries. I didn't read the article as I believe it was about stem cells and I've decided from enough of hearing from others that they are not doing what I've heard they are, but PRP seems to be the better of the two. Maybe someone wants to dig up some negatives on PRP.

No we can continue to do exactly what is being done here. sharing information. I think many folks do more than hope when they decide on surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness