Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling if the hip is not too far gone, PRP/Stem Cells could help. I went thru a hip replacement in 2010 (anterior) and am left with 3 major complications. but no more GROIN pain. The groin area was rattled with spurs as I recall seeing the xray. Other Groin on left was smooth.

I have a problem knee, long story, and can't bring myself to a knee replacement...knee is worse since hip job. My thinking is PRP/Stem Cells could help with knee and if only I had some extra thousands I would go for them.

Good luck with the hip.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Anyone have Stem Cell Therapy and/or BMA (bone marrow aspirate) and/or PRP (Platelet-rich plasma) for osteoarthritis in your knees?

https://www.bluetailmedicalgroup.com/therapies

https://www.bluetailmedicalgroup.com/faqs

Just a note....a woman in my area recently realized she'd been had by a medical group that touted SCT as a treatment for her condition. She went for it, spending thousands and got zero positive results.

She later found the treatment had not been approved as one to improve her condition.....the medical grp pulled the wool over this elderly woman's eyes, so carefully confirm the procedure has been approved as treatment for your particular condition.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have a feeling if the hip is not too far gone, PRP/Stem Cells could help. I went thru a hip replacement in 2010 (anterior) and am left with 3 major complications. but no more GROIN pain. The groin area was rattled with spurs as I recall seeing the xray. Other Groin on left was smooth.

I have a problem knee, long story, and can't bring myself to a knee replacement...knee is worse since hip job. My thinking is PRP/Stem Cells could help with knee and if only I had some extra thousands I would go for them.

Good luck with the hip.
OBTW: Some ortho surgeons are injecting PRP/Stem Cells in this work area of the hip replacement for advanced healing.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I stumbled upon this thread trying to research stem cell therapy vs a hip replacement. I just found out my hip is a mess and I need to get it replaced. The doctor that will be doing the hip replacement also offered up a stem cell therapy alternative, just not in his office. I have done my research and have found nothing to convince me to go the stem cell route. In fact after reading through this entire thread I am now 100% on board with going through with the surgery. I do have some anecdotal evidence that stem cell and PRP may work but it is from one person in my office. To me that isn't nearly enough to get on board with it. Also, why would I pay three to four thousand dollars for something that hasn't been proven to work when I can get a full hip replacement for almost no out of pocket cost to me and has a remarkable success history especially compared to stem cell. If I had endless amounts of cash to experiment I might be inclined to give stem cell a try or if stem cell had a solid record of working for the majority of cases I may have given it a chance. I have unsuccessfully used alternative medicine in the past and based on my experience there is a reason it is alternative.
I think you have the right idea, if money were no object there would be no harm in trying PRP/Stem Cell treatment but at this point it really has not been shown to be better than placebo.

Hip replacement surgery is definitely the way to go if a painful hip is limiting your life, proven and reliable treatment for advanced hip OA.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I stumbled upon this thread trying to research stem cell therapy vs a hip replacement. I just found out my hip is a mess and I need to get it replaced. The doctor that will be doing the hip replacement also offered up a stem cell therapy alternative, just not in his office. I have done my research and have found nothing to convince me to go the stem cell route. In fact after reading through this entire thread I am now 100% on board with going through with the surgery. I do have some anecdotal evidence that stem cell and PRP may work but it is from one person in my office. To me that isn't nearly enough to get on board with it. Also, why would I pay three to four thousand dollars for something that hasn't been proven to work when I can get a full hip replacement for almost no out of pocket cost to me and has a remarkable success history especially compared to stem cell. If I had endless amounts of cash to experiment I might be inclined to give stem cell a try or if stem cell had a solid record of working for the majority of cases I may have given it a chance. I have unsuccessfully used alternative medicine in the past and based on my experience there is a reason it is alternative.
I've been using alternative medicines for over 25 yrs and I've lived thru side effects from some drugs I took back in the 80's for inflammation in back. Stomach ulcer. This is only one issue...I take very very few drugs.

We have another of our MD's in our town who does PRP/Stem Cells now on another radio station and his mantra is "once done surgery can't be undone".

There are so many who do this type work and we have no idea just HOW MANY in our population.

Ortho docs are offering their patients these now and most don't do them so send their patients to the hospital clinic for them. We have so many ortho MD's in our town.

Again, I would go for the least invasive work if money permitted. Good Luck..Hope you'll tell us how great your hip surgery turned out.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:41 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,545,719 times
Surgery isn't until June 4th so I have a few months of PT before the big cut. I would love the least invasive surgery too but I also want something that has been proven to work for the last few decades. I am confident surgery is the right choice based on the professionals that I have spoken to.

I hope that stem cell research continues to progress upwards and that eventually it becomes the norm if proven to work on a more regular case by case basis.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Just talking to my mail lady and she has knee OA and told me about a fellow worker who dreaded a knee replacement but the pain just got too much and so he finally did it and he said the first 6 weeks post op were tough but now he's so glad he did it.

I hear this story so much re: knee replacements. Maybe I'm doomed for it.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:14 PM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just talking to my mail lady and she has knee OA and told me about a fellow worker who dreaded a knee replacement but the pain just got too much and so he finally did it and he said the first 6 weeks post op were tough but now he's so glad he did it.

I hear this story so much re: knee replacements. Maybe I'm doomed for it.

That's an odd way to look at the best bet to being able to walk again. If I recall you are not even going to PT?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,545,719 times
I spoke to yet another coworker today that had SCT on his knee and he is regretting every moment of it. He now has to get the full knee replacement because stem cell did nothing but drain his bank account. I mentioned in a previous post that one of my managers had stem cell in her knee along with PRP and it has been working out great for her. If anybody is counting that is a 50% success rate from the people I know.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's an odd way to look at the best bet to being able to walk again. If I recall you are not even going to PT?
Where do you get "walk again".... and as far as PT....where do you get your info.

Mikala, again I WALK...and I just spent 4.5 months in hospital/rehabs (3) for staph infection and I went thru so much PT and still do some of what I was taught in the rehabs at home every day. I dread a surgery, pain meds and all the constipation that goes with it and the outcome, we never know.

While in the hospital and then on 2 months of abx IV's they took me down for arthroscopic (debridment) surgery on the knee and I often think that made things worse. My story does not change as this is what I've been saying.

On the walking, I did NOT walk for 2.5 months in hospital/rehabs as the infection was not found for all that time. Talk about a fear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.