Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 06:57 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, it's my business and I never said doctors and surgeons are all evil. The surgeon I saw does replacements and PRP and Stem Cells. So I wanted a fresh opinion from a younger more progressive surgeon.

I asked him WHY, insurance isn't picking up PRP and Stem Cells Yet, and he said this:

The medical world makes much more money with surgery, drugs from the surgery, PT and rehabs from the surgery and what can follow down the road...if revisions are needed, infections set in etc etc...

I figured this angle a long time ago, but it came from this surgeon's mouth.

He suggests nothing at this point -- no surgery, no injections...as the staph infection could be stirred up and he wants no harm if he can avoid the possibility.

Oh so you think the surgeon doesn't know what he's in for knowing me now. I can laugh at your comments thank goodness. It's so good that you come across like you know me, LLCNYC. Of course, I know nothing about you.
So in other words he didn't answer your question and wisely decided to take a hands off approach with YOU

You continue to confuse "insurance" with the "medical world"...

Understand they are two ENTIRELY different entities and typically at odds with one another.....

IF PRP and Stem Cells actually "worked" the miracles that zealots like yourself think they do insurance companies would pay in a heart beat....if it saved them money they would be all for it..

Insurance companies aren't in business to PAY FOR HEALTHCARE COSTS.....they want to pay as little as possible

The "medical world" as you term it making money off surgery, PT, rehab etc doesn't HELP insurers it HURTS them....

IF PRP really worked and cost less than surgery....it would be a no brainer for insurers to pay for it....

IF PRP doesn't work and insurers have to pay a boatload cash for the PRP/STEM cells AND a boatload of money for the same surgery that would have been done WITHOUT the Stem Cells???

Is there any question which way insurers will lean???

This isn't rocket science....its simple Economics 101

Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 PM

674 posts, read 601,357 times
Quote:
I'm no doc, no coder, a person who lives with botched hip replacement so I have to listen and believe some of what I hear/read.
We all do that (listen and believe some of what we hear/read).

The reasonable folks are the ones who look at multiple and reliable sources, then use their own brain to perform an "idiot check" before they believe. Others just read the equivalent of the National Enquirer and blindly repeat what they read.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,577,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
So in other words he didn't answer your question and wisely decided to take a hands off approach with YOU

You continue to confuse "insurance" with the "medical world"...

Understand they are two ENTIRELY different entities and typically at odds with one another.....

IF PRP and Stem Cells actually "worked" the miracles that zealots like yourself think they do insurance companies would pay in a heart beat....if it saved them money they would be all for it..

Insurance companies aren't in business to PAY FOR HEALTHCARE COSTS.....they want to pay as little as possible

The "medical world" as you term it making money off surgery, PT, rehab etc doesn't HELP insurers it HURTS them....

IF PRP really worked and cost less than surgery....it would be a no brainer for insurers to pay for it....

IF PRP doesn't work and insurers have to pay a boatload cash for the PRP/STEM cells AND a boatload of money for the same surgery that would have been done WITHOUT the Stem Cells???

Is there any question which way insurers will lean???

This isn't rocket science....its simple Economics 101
Did you read what the surgeon said about insurance paying for PRP/Stem Cells vs doing the surgery? I understand what he said and thought I posted it clearly here.

The replacements can run into the $20-40K prices with everything people go thru with post surgery stuff.

The injections and mostly 3 sessions are needed, can go to about $8K or so if one reads Darrows fee schedule. This is Stem Cells, PRP is less $$.

The surgeon I saw does them, but RIGHT NOW will not touch my knee with surgery or injections due to infection issue.

I just checked into the hip surgeon's yelp reviews and found a new one from someone dealing with a lot of pain after 2 yrs of knee replacement. Maybe I'll post it later. Many surgeries end up with issues.

When is your practice going to catch up with a lot of the country and offer PRP/Stem Cells?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 PM

5,384 posts, read 3,400,998 times
I'm shocked that you still have that infection going on what? 2 years now? Why didn't this new doctor help you with that??

Old 08-15-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'm shocked that you still have that infection going on what? 2 years now? Why didn't this new doctor help you with that??
I MAY not have an infection going on, where did you read that? The surgeon does not want to injection or cut anywhere near where it was for fear of it flaring up.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 PM

Here is how cheaply an insurance company can get away with surgery only for knee replacement.

https://www.howmuchisit.org/knee-replacement-cost/

Then there is rehab, drugs, etc etc.

Why wouldn't they rather pay something like $10K or something like that for PRP/Stem Cells.

Makes too much sense to me. And again everyone here who has had Stem Cells sounds like they had one session and stopped. Due to costs...

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 PM

48,311 posts, read 34,442,387 times
Quote:
I MAY not have an infection going on, where did you read that? The surgeon does not want to injection or cut anywhere near where it was for fear of it flaring up.
Either you misunderstood him, or he is not the best at his job..... when you have an infection, you treat it, and stop treatment when the infection is gone. Gone is gone. There is nothing to "flare up."

That's why I asked you if you have a current infection, and what he did to treat that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 PM

36,970 posts, read 40,942,878 times
Quote:
If it's gone, it cannot flare up. The doc gave you an excuse not to treat you.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If it's gone, it cannot flare up. The doc gave you an excuse not to treat you.
Well, I'm glad all the doctors here know best -- I'll go with what the surgeon said yesterday. I'm certainly not gun hoe about any surgery anyway. And eventually may end up with some PRP.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 PM

48,311 posts, read 34,442,387 times
Quote:
The replacements can run into the $20-40K prices with everything people go thru with post surgery stuff.

The injections and mostly 3 sessions are needed, can go to about $8K or so if one reads Darrows fee schedule. This is Stem Cells, PRP is less $$.
THAT is the reason why insurance WOULD pay for PRP if it worked. Insurance wants to pay as little as possible for an effective treatment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness