U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 1,592,449 times

Advertisements

Anyone have Stem Cell Therapy and/or BMA (bone marrow aspirate) and/or PRP (Platelet-rich plasma) for osteoarthritis in your knees?

https://www.bluetailmedicalgroup.com/therapies

https://www.bluetailmedicalgroup.com/faqs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 10:11 AM

6,848 posts, read 2,120,533 times
I've been talking about PRP/Stem Cells injections for years and personally have been getting the Dextrose Prolo injections for the last 10 yrs...in shoulder, lower back and knees. The last dextrose Prolo injection in my knee, I now Believe, was the cause of infection in knee. The doctor as I recall just injected too deeply in the knee and I felt more pain than normal...this injection was the 5th in this knee. I was doing an injection every 3 weeks and D.O. was able to bill my Medicare. Dextrose Prolo injections CAN WORK and more so when the issues are NOT too chronic. A good friend who is 60, had about 3 in her knee and she's doing great. Her husband who broke his back in auto accident has gotten dextrose injections in lower back and it's helping him a lot. He went to the rheumy that his wife went to who I found yrs ago.

All it takes is out of pocket funds and the willingness to give these injections a chance. The MD I hear every weekend in our town: Says PRP/Stem Cells take the Surgery out of Pain. He is NOT a fan of elective surgeries. And he started out to be a surgeon.

I briefly looked at the above sites on bluetail medical and everything they say is what I've heard for years.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:48 PM

Dr. Marc Darrow is a Stem Cell, PRP,Prolotherapy Expert in Los Angeles. |

This is the MD I hear every weekend and I just heard him and one outstanding caller was a person who had 4 knee surgeries and now doctors want to "clean out" the knee...the caller said it's so sore and stiff and Dr. Darrow says this from Day 1...every time our joints are cut or any part of body for that matter, arthritis immediately sets in. More and more tissue is cleaned out and any cushioning is removed.

What I just went thru with knee, just before the 2 months of abx drugs started, the surgeon "cleaned out" my knee and I have always thought has this made it worse, more stiff etc.

All I can say, if money were not the object MORE and MORE would give these injections a chance. And some need more than 1, often 3 or 4. Depends on the condition of the joints etc.

I ride a recumbent bike and I've not been able to get my knee all the way over as the bike needed adjustment....my dear neighbor guy just adjusted and I can now get the knee moving again on the bike. What a celebration for me..gotta keep that knee moving as the more one does not the stiffer one is.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:17 PM

10,674 posts, read 5,513,239 times
Yup, didn't do anything.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, didn't do anything.
How many injections did you have...was it PRP or Stem Cells. Dr. said he gets attacked because some don't get help with 1 injection. He tells his patients upfront, I don't know how many it will take and I don't guarantee anything. Anyone who guarantees their patients, is drunk.

I had dextrose prolo in shoulder, one session, with about 8 jabs and my almost frozen shoulder was about back to normal for 3 yrs. This was over 10 yrs ago and then the sports med MD did these for about $200 as I recall.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:41 AM

64,180 posts, read 71,023,429 times
our son in law had it done about 3 or 4 years ago. It worked great, but he was younger. Our best friend tried it about 6 months ago, twice, at an outrageous price; it didn't help much. She will be undergoing knee surgery before long.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:11 AM

10,674 posts, read 5,513,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
How many injections did you have...was it PRP or Stem Cells. Dr. said he gets attacked because some don't get help with 1 injection. He tells his patients upfront, I don't know how many it will take and I don't guarantee anything. Anyone who guarantees their patients, is drunk.

I had dextrose prolo in shoulder, one session, with about 8 jabs and my almost frozen shoulder was about back to normal for 3 yrs. This was over 10 yrs ago and then the sports med MD did these for about $200 as I recall.
Yes it's true I only had one set of shots but it was out of pocket and expensive (nearly 1000 dollars) as the insurance didn't cover it.

But it didn't help my knee pain and ended up having surgery for a meniscus issue. The MRI showed signs of osteoarthritis also.

It may work for some people but not all.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
our son in law had it done about 3 or 4 years ago. It worked great, but he was younger. Our best friend tried it about 6 months ago, twice, at an outrageous price; it didn't help much. She will be undergoing knee surgery before long.
From what I hear it's all the degrees of pain issues and the amount of injections one can afford. PRP/Stem Cells are expensive and the middle american usually can't afford them. That's how I see it. Just because the replacements etc are insurance covered, that's what the people go with. Then deal with complications they are left with, like myself. The PRP/Stem Cell MD has overhead and his costs it takes to do his work...I'm SURE the cost is what STOPS so many from doing them and going on with more injections if they are needed. Some are happier with 25% improvement in their joints as MANY don't want to do the surgeries.

I was so happily shocked with the dextrose prolo in shoulder about 10 yrs ago...it was almost frozen from gym pulleys. This JOY took one set of injections and a $200 cost. Dextrose is the FIRST type prolo out there...then came PRP and now Stem Cells...all more pricey with advancements.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 AM

My theory and thinking on WHY insurance won't cover these injections...--- they CAN really work and save people from the insurance covered surgeries. At least one ortho MD here does send patients for PRP/Stem Cells but these are out of pocket as I've said.

Some say here, they aren't covered as they don't work. I don't buy that one.

I went thru HA injections and these are insurance covered and they did NOT work...3 sessions two different times...I tried again even after first session didn't help.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 AM

3,731 posts, read 9,416,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My theory and thinking on WHY insurance won't cover these injections...--- they CAN really work and save people from the insurance covered surgeries. At least one ortho MD here does send patients for PRP/Stem Cells but these are out of pocket as I've said.

Some say here, they aren't covered as they don't work. I don't buy that one.

I went thru HA injections and these are insurance covered and they did NOT work...3 sessions two different times...I tried again even after first session didn't help.
Yeah.. your "theory" is nonsense....

Insurance pays for what "works"..."insurers" are also in business to MAKE MONEY....if there is a CHEAPER alternative that WORKS they will pay for that EVERY TIME

PRP injections cost 600-1000 dollars out of pocket....that is PEANUTS compared to the cost of total joint replacement

If PRP injections really worked....and there is minimal evidence to that effect...then insurers would be jumping for joy and knocking each other over to pay for this procedure over total joint replacement...

If you are going to "make up conspiracy theories" at least make up on that makes sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness