U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:16 PM

1,514 posts, read 459,212 times

Advertisements

As far as I can tell, a lot of the negative talk about diet soda is based on stories like "my cousin's friend said her sister..."

I hear things like, "your body acts just like it's sugar" and "the artificial sweetener will kill you".
There are no solid studies that prove either of those things.

However, my favorite nutrition experts, The Center for Science in the Public Interest, say there may be problems with most artificial sweeteners. Last time I checked, they said that stevia does not seem likely to have negative affects, so that's what I use.

But if the choice is full-sugar soda or diet, I'd go with the diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,322,248 times
COKE Zero only for me. My tastebuds are changing: all soda has way, way too much sugar.
As for Stevia, have you seen the price of that stuff? Almost gave me a coronary.
The Coke is for the occasional Rum drink with a friend. About twice a month, if that.

You'll find your body does talk to you if you listen. Processed ANYTHING is to be avoided.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:19 PM

316 posts, read 71,626 times
Ever stop to think that all soda ,as well as other "drinks", the main ingredient is...water.

Why pay some company to junk it up with flavorings???

Old 08-27-2017, 12:17 AM

19,358 posts, read 18,503,827 times
I love a little bit of Coke once in a while. I drink the kind with sugar. Not much and not often, but I love that stuff.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 AM

23,800 posts, read 45,473,878 times
Had my first soda ever at age 17.... it was never in the house growing up... no money for soda... water and milk was it.

When I started working in the Hospital the lunch specials would include soda... it was like the soda was free with the lunch deal... it was easy to slam it down but then I started with headaches... over the weekends when I did not have soda...

Gave me a reset... still have it sometimes... one glass water, one soda and one glass water if I have soda.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 AM

1,755 posts, read 4,110,557 times
As a matter of fact, I just watched a program about this two hours ago. Here's what happened:

They poured a regular black soda in one pan and a diet black soda in another pan.
Soda is mostly water so they boiled away the water to see what was left.
Regular soda was full of sugary black syrup that would make you think twice about drinking it.
Diet soda had virtually nothing but a couple of tiny black spots on the pan left. But no substance. So, sugar-wise, it's "better" than regular soda.

But then you get into the question of artificial sweeteners and are they good for you? The program didn't get into that. But, they're chemical. Artificial food. Not natural. Never intended to be part of anyone's consumption. Some of them, especially aspartame (the favorite ingredient in diet soda) is known to be cancer causing. But, it's all personal choice. People are going to do what they want to do whether it's for health reasons or to justify their own desires.

Here's the kicker that many people don't realize: Diet soda is addictive because it gives people a "buzz" that they like. But, what's that buzz about? It's a bunch of your brain cells having a huge party and dancing all over the place, caused by the artificial sweetener. What people hate about diet soda is the CRASH after that huge party is over. You know what that "crash" actually is? Those brain cells DYING. And they do not ever get replaced, replicated, renewed, recreated, reborn or resupplied. You lose them. Forever.

What you have to figure out is this: What do you want out of it and is it worth the cost? Because there is a cost to everything we consume. Health-wise, there's nothing healthy about soda, diet or regular. So the remaining question becomes, what are you trying to excuse or justify by drinking it at all? The usual answer is, "Because I like it." Fine. Get the party started! Just know the consequences.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:48 AM

7,793 posts, read 8,649,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Ever stop to think that all soda ,as well as other "drinks", the main ingredient is...water.

Why pay some company to junk it up with flavorings???
The same reason that I pay a restaurant to "junk up" the food.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:33 AM

19,358 posts, read 18,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Had my first soda ever at age 17.... it was never in the house growing up... no money for soda... water and milk was it.

When I started working in the Hospital the lunch specials would include soda... it was like the soda was free with the lunch deal... it was easy to slam it down but then I started with headaches... over the weekends when I did not have soda...

Gave me a reset... still have it sometimes... one glass water, one soda and one glass water if I have soda.
We used to get soda on our birthday. Mom would bake a cake (sugar rush #1), and give us a small glass of soda. She was a brave woman.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:37 AM

962 posts, read 325,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Today a friend also told me all soda is bad, I guess there's just too much junk in it, though I like carbonated flavor to wash heavy food down, maybe Italian soda now and then? I think I will be quitting soda.

In the south asian culture, cold water is considered less healthy than warm water, being something about how it jolts the body. I have heard cold water burns calories better. I think it's just preference. I also heard nobody should chug down water while they're standing. I need a warm/cold canteen or something.

Right now I'm drinking "totally light 2 go" in cool water, which is a powder u mix into water and has zero calories with vit C.
Whaaaaat? Standing is actually the BEST way to swallow things. I don't know about "chugging" - but regular drinking is fine when standing, and the best position for taking pills. They recommend continuing to stand for several minutes after taking your pills, actually. Which I ASSUME you would be taking with water anyway.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:50 AM

962 posts, read 325,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
As a matter of fact, I just watched a program about this two hours ago. Here's what happened:

They poured a regular black soda in one pan and a diet black soda in another pan.
Soda is mostly water so they boiled away the water to see what was left.
Regular soda was full of sugary black syrup that would make you think twice about drinking it.
Diet soda had virtually nothing but a couple of tiny black spots on the pan left. But no substance. So, sugar-wise, it's "better" than regular soda.

But then you get into the question of artificial sweeteners and are they good for you? The program didn't get into that. But, they're chemical. Artificial food. Not natural. Never intended to be part of anyone's consumption. Some of them, especially aspartame (the favorite ingredient in diet soda) is known to be cancer causing. But, it's all personal choice. People are going to do what they want to do whether it's for health reasons or to justify their own desires.

Here's the kicker that many people don't realize: Diet soda is addictive because it gives people a "buzz" that they like. But, what's that buzz about? It's a bunch of your brain cells having a huge party and dancing all over the place, caused by the artificial sweetener. What people hate about diet soda is the CRASH after that huge party is over. You know what that "crash" actually is? Those brain cells DYING. And they do not ever get replaced, replicated, renewed, recreated, reborn or resupplied. You lose them. Forever.

What you have to figure out is this: What do you want out of it and is it worth the cost? Because there is a cost to everything we consume. Health-wise, there's nothing healthy about soda, diet or regular. So the remaining question becomes, what are you trying to excuse or justify by drinking it at all? The usual answer is, "Because I like it." Fine. Get the party started! Just know the consequences.
Psuedo science. Ignore.

The reason soda isn't good for you has a lot more to do with phosphoric acid than anything else. It causes problems for your teeth, liver, kidneys, blood pressure, loss of muscle mass, contributes to development of diabetes (Type 2), and can even lead to accelerated aging of your skin.

Fact is soda has no redeeming nutritional value and lots of problems. "Artificial" sweeteners don't much enter into it - unless your intake is stupidly high. Then, it turns out, some artificial sweeteners can set off cravings for sweetness that can send you into an ever-increasing spiral of craving something sweet which isn't satisfied by anything but real sugar. But only in excess, such as would be the case if you drink a lot of soda with alternative sweeteners.

So yeah, avoid soda - but not because of some hand-waving nonsense about "artificial chemicals". EVERYTHING is chemical in nature. There is no such thing as an "artificial" chemical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness