U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:28 AM

299 posts, read 171,247 times

Advertisements

If you want something carbonated, seltzer or soda water is a decent choice. If you want caffeine, coffee or tea (hot or iced) is good. If you want something sweeter, fruit juice is okay. You could mix seltzer and juice for fizzy and sweet. And plain water is great -- I prefer mine cold.

There's really no good reason to drink soda (or energy drinks for that matter) on a regular basis, either diet or regular. Too many better alternatives available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:57 AM

231 posts, read 155,800 times
I'm not a big diet soda fan but I love the taste of coke zero especially the cherry flavor, even as teenager when it first came out. For the most part I never would drink it on a consistent bases so I didn't think much of it. Then a few years ago I started to buy the 12 pack cans of cherry coke zero to satisfy my sweet tooth without calories. I didn't correlate it at first but after a week or couple of weeks or so of drinking 2-3 12 oz cans a day I would start to get headaches. Once a got over my craving for cherry coke zero and would stop drinking it the headaches would go away. After the 2nd or 3rd time that I noticed this pattern I stopped drinking them and diet drinks in generally.

I usually take the 'this is bad' for you flavor of day warning about common things we eat or drink with a grain of salt. Something may cause cancer one week and the next be great for you. With that in mind, once I realized the correlation of consuming diet drinks with me having headaches, I believe that artificial sweeteners aren't as safe as the lead the public to believe. It can see the validity in the warning that aspartame can trigger migraines in people who suffer from them.

I have drastically cut down my soda consumption over the last couple of years. How much has it helped? I don't know, but it's been easier to maintain my weight although higher than it should be and I still have all my teeth in my mouth with no cavities.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:43 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,782,135 times
I quit Diet Coke a few years back because I realized it was just terrible for my health. And I was drinking increasingly more of it. I purchased a Sodastream machine used on Ebay for I believe 40 bucks. I use it all the time and love it. To get flavor I use a citrus press and add lemon or lime juice. Sometimes I'll do strawberry kiwi, which is also yummy.

It was tough to break the habit at first. I had headaches for a few weeks. It was due to caffeine withdrawal but got better after that. I'll still have an occasional glass of Diet Coke when I'm out at restaurants but I don't keep it in the house. If you do continue to drink it, drink it in moderation and rotate it with healthy options like carbonated, flavored waters. La Croix in the grocery stores is also a much better alternative. Other decent options are Bai5 and Diet Rite (the noncola ones without caramel coloring).

Old 08-27-2017, 11:10 AM

2,004 posts, read 808,531 times
not a fan of diet sodas at all but I do love my cherry cokes, I drink many per day and somehow do not have weight issues, kinda always have been either into heavy soda or heavy sweet tea. Im lucky i guess.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:10 AM

11,929 posts, read 13,318,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I like carbonated flavor to wash heavy food down

Yes. I have a hard time eating something like pizza without wanting either a soft drink or a beer. They just seem to go together. Pizza and water or pizza and milk or pizza and lemonade or pizza and iced tea just isn't the same!

I don't think one Coke a day, diet or otherwise, is going to hurt you. If you drank five or six or day, then yes. Just like one beer a day isn't going to hurt you, but if you make a habit of drinking a 6 or 12 pack every day it's not good. Everything in moderation.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:30 AM

13,066 posts, read 14,390,754 times
Most of the "science" in this thread is gleaned from click-bait articles found at the bottom of celebrity gossip websites.

5 Foods That Will Kill Your Kindergartner!

This One Easy Trick with Bananas Will extend Your Life 10 Years!

Are You Eating This Killer Food?

How Can Apples Keep You From Getting Cancer? Try This One Easy Trick. Your Oncologist Will Hate You!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 AM

7,012 posts, read 6,306,059 times
Diet coke is horrible.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:00 PM

12,184 posts, read 21,274,660 times
I drank regular soda from childhood until I was 28. At that time, I quit regular soda, and started drinking diet in its place. By the time I turned 30, I had lost 85 lbs, but this was in conjunction with a pretty strict diet.

Anyhow, by the time i turned 32, I had put back on about 25 lbs. Another year goes by, nothing changes, and I put on about 10 more pounds.

One day, I get the idea to quit diet soda and all caffeine entirely, cold turkey. This is about 5 months ago, and I do so because I feel like something is wrong with my weight, and caffeine and/or diet soda may be part of the cause. I begin drinking only water.

I feel good about it at first, had true caffeine withdrawals for about 3-4 weeks, but after that I decide I don't miss diet soda or caffeine that much. However, I start feeling very groggy, tired, and depressed almost every day, I feel like I can't even stay awake and/or motivated. I do manage to briefly lose 10 lbs, but it has returned.

I've begun drinking/supplementing with caffeine again (for about the past month), but my tired/depressed symptoms haven't completely concluded (this is not something I had ever experienced prior). I may have a regular soda up to a few times a week, but I still try and steer clear from diet.

In a perfect world, I don't drink any soda/diet soda/caffeine, but it is hard, and this whole experience the last several months seems to have helped derail my sense of stability. IMO none of the three are good for you, diet soda on its own being the worst.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM

279 posts, read 62,426 times
Drinking soda pop will cause the sun to rise in the west and set in the south, will make the ocean levels rise eight feet by 2019, causes dogs to revert to their wild form and hunt in packs, will turn oppressive African and Asian third-world dictatorships into prosperous democracies and cause all the satellites to fall out of orbit and flatten your town. Yet you can swill all the alcohol and pot you want and nobody gives it a second thought and it's somehow the healthiest thing ever. Gotta love america.

And yes, diet pop is disgusting. Diabetes in a can or nothing, please.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:36 PM

1,515 posts, read 459,212 times
another benefit of diet soda; bugs aren't interested in the "empty" can. Sugary soda cans have to be rinsed out before putting in my recycle bin, or I wind up with ants and flies and things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness