U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:49 PM

667 posts, read 252,165 times

Advertisements

With things like diet coke, I would have to say it's probably better that you don't drink a lot of it. Everyone is different, but I found that these artificial sweeteners were too much of a diuretic. It seemed like it was irritating my bladder as well.

Also I found that after drinking a Diet Coke I was very hungry an hour or two later. This agrees with some studies that artificial sweeteners can make you crave sugar more than normal.

Another reason I gave it up is that I don't want to contribute to the bottom line of Coca Cola corporation without some sort of health benefit. At the very best Diet Coke and sodas have no effect on long term health, and they have no nutritional value, so why continue to drink it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:24 PM

1,025 posts, read 343,752 times
Diet sodas are probably okay once in a while.

I personally advise against drinking Diet Coke; it tastes like a watered-down cleaning solution.

Diet Code Red, Diet Dr. Pepper, Pepsi Max, and Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi are all much better alternatives if you are going to indulge in the diet soda periodically

Old 08-27-2017, 05:43 PM

13,526 posts, read 11,254,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
If you want something carbonated, seltzer or soda water is a decent choice. If you want caffeine, coffee or tea (hot or iced) is good. If you want something sweeter, fruit juice is okay. You could mix seltzer and juice for fizzy and sweet. And plain water is great -- I prefer mine cold.

There's really no good reason to drink soda (or energy drinks for that matter) on a regular basis, either diet or regular. Too many better alternatives available.
Fruit juice is not OK if you are trying to lose/control weight, might as well have a candy bar or a cookie.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:46 PM

6,739 posts, read 5,558,653 times
You're an adult. You decide what you will drink. You can Google info pertaining to ingredients or health concerns.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:05 PM

14,134 posts, read 25,163,574 times
Mod Note: Moved from Food & Drink

Old 08-27-2017, 07:49 PM

8,822 posts, read 11,582,885 times
Anything that is canned or packaged for retail is not healthy.
Period, end of sentence.
MOF, even most of things that grow out in the field are not healthy anymore. Water is poisoned. Rains are poisoned. If it's a business, unless they use toxins to enhance crops, they are out of business.
About the only healthy food you can find is 100% homesteading on everything of that nature blocked or eradicated. Like your own well, and DEEP one, so crap is filtered away.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:48 PM

440 posts, read 753,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
another benefit of diet soda; bugs aren't interested in the "empty" can. Sugary soda cans have to be rinsed out before putting in my recycle bin, or I wind up with ants and flies and things.
Thank Donald Rumsfeld for putting that pesticide aspartame in diet sodas.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM

440 posts, read 753,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
COKE Zero only for me. My tastebuds are changing: all soda has way, way too much sugar.
As for Stevia, have you seen the price of that stuff? Almost gave me a coronary.
The Coke is for the occasional Rum drink with a friend. About twice a month, if that.

You'll find your body does talk to you if you listen. Processed ANYTHING is to be avoided.
I buy an 8oz bottle of liquid stevia for about $17 on ebay. Lasts me 3-6 months with heavy use. Just a few drops in iced tea or coffee is all I need to replace a few teaspoons of sugar or other toxic sweeteners.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 PM

23,840 posts, read 45,534,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Anything that is canned or packaged for retail is not healthy.
Period, end of sentence.
MOF, even most of things that grow out in the field are not healthy anymore. Water is poisoned. Rains are poisoned. If it's a business, unless they use toxins to enhance crops, they are out of business.
About the only healthy food you can find is 100% homesteading on everything of that nature blocked or eradicated. Like your own well, and DEEP one, so crap is filtered away.
Several members of my family are organic farmers and they take it very seriously... they also sell all they can produce... and have been organic for about 20 years officially certified but in practice forever... they even keep a cow or two for their own organic fertilizer...

The discussion I have had with them before is how is it life expectancy around the world continues to increase if we are being poisoned like never before... only asked as a real question.

I live in Oakland CA and the street were I live has nothing but those in their 80's 90's and yes 100's... like right now... 104 and frail but at 100 still traveling alone or 101 and still dancing or 100 and still with her live in boyfriend of 22 years and he is 10 years younger... this isn't even addressing those just under 100.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 PM

1,538 posts, read 471,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I buy an 8oz bottle of liquid stevia for about $17 on ebay. Lasts me 3-6 months with heavy use. Just a few drops in iced tea or coffee is all I need to replace a few teaspoons of sugar or other toxic sweeteners.
I get the pure powdered stevia on amazon. I use 1/4 teaspoon to sweeten an entire pot of coffee (then I chill it for iced coffee, my caffeine of choice). a 4-ounce package cost about $16 and lasts 6-8 months.

The "stevia" in grocery stores is mixed with another (cheaper) artificial sweetener, so you're paying more for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness