U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:41 PM

2,493 posts, read 5,949,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
DW and I have been drinking about a 2-liter of DC daily for nearly 40 years. We're in our 70s. Last week I got the bad news at my annual physical. Doc said I've only got 20, maybe 30 more years at best.

During the years I've been drinking this fatal juice, I've been warned about the dangers of eggs, now good for you; coffee, now full of antioxidants; whole milk for kids over two, now Harvard says they stay thinner than kids drinking white water; salt, now too little leads to premature death; chocolate, now like coffee; popcorn, junk food, now loaded with nutrients and whole grain to boot.

Here's my thought: All things in moderation.
My condolences on your impending demise! You'd probably live to 120 or so if you'd never picked up a bottle of The Devil's Brew!

So...will we taxpayers get our money back from those phony studies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2 4 View Post
If you enjoy it, it will be labeled as bad. Part of the Control Freak's agenda is to take the fun out of life
And you can bet lots of them run home after guilt-tripping everyone else about how bad they are (implying how good THEY are), and do all the stuff they tell others to not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I've been drinking Diet Coke for decades (lately the caffeine free kind) and I just turned 65 and am in excellent health. If it's a killer, it's sure taking it's time.
Why on earth would you want to cut caffeine out of your diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 02:07 PM

275 posts, read 36,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatted wabbit View Post
my condolences on your impending demise! You'd probably live to 120 or so if you'd never picked up a bottle of the devil's brew!

So...will we taxpayers get our money back from those phony studies?

And you can bet lots of them run home after guilt-tripping everyone else about how bad they are (implying how good they are), and do all the stuff they tell others to not do.

Why on earth would you want to cut caffeine out of your diet?
10-4.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,383,617 times
All soda, including diet, is horrible for you. Absolutely nothing good about it. Just a bunch of chemicals, and diet may even be worse. The artificial sweeteners actually seem to contribute to weight gain.

Best bet is plain old water. Tea (unsweetened) is good too. Coffee in moderation isn't bad either.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:24 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I've been drinking Diet Coke for decades (lately the caffeine free kind) and I just turned 65 and am in excellent health. If it's a killer, it's sure taking it's time.
My grandfather smoked a pack a day and lived to be 94. Doesn't mean smoking is a good thing.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:51 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,931,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I used to drink a lot of diet coke. Then I broke my leg and the surgeon said I had to stop drinking soda with phosphoric acid because it leaches calcium from the bones.
^^^ This is very true. ^^^ I had a very heavy diet coke habit -- 2 to 4 per day. I've broken many bones - and a bone density test indicates I have osteopenia. I won't say there is a direct cause-and-effect for me personally, but I've had to stop cold turkey.

My cousin is an endocrinologist who also has a PhD in chemistry-- he's in pure research; he doesn't practice medicine. He had some very interesting things to say about diet coke vis a vis weight loss -- the artificial sweetener seems to "trick" the brain and the metabolism in ways that make weight loss quite a bit harder. I do not recall the details of the conversation, as I know nothing about such things - but the takeaway was clear: they are bad.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:44 PM

141 posts, read 32,684 times
This is some outstanding advise, thank you guys. I have decided to quit all soda, maybe replaced with carbonated water mixed with juice or powder.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,216,420 times
In general, if something has no nutritional value, it's not good for you. If you do not recognize the list of ingredients, it's probably not good for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 PM

8,045 posts, read 16,943,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That would be me.

If diet soda made you gain weight I would be overweight.
I am not, not even close. 5'5" - 116 lbs. give or take a pound or two either way.
One can of diet soda is not going to make you gain weight, in fact, when you are craving something sweet, better to grab a diet soda than a cookie or piece of cake!
IMO, diet soda is a great diet aid!
I agree. I drink diet pepsi all the time & that is about what I weigh (not as tall though).
It has NEVER made me gain weight & I have been drinking it for probably 40 years
(whenever they did away with Tab (YUCK) and substituted diet coke & pepsi ).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 PM

18,051 posts, read 18,309,279 times
Yikes! We're all gonna die!

Guaranteed!

Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,053,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Psuedo science. Ignore.

The reason soda isn't good for you has a lot more to do with phosphoric acid than anything else. It causes problems for your teeth, liver, kidneys, blood pressure, loss of muscle mass, contributes to development of diabetes (Type 2), and can even lead to accelerated aging of your skin.

Fact is soda has no redeeming nutritional value and lots of problems. "Artificial" sweeteners don't much enter into it - unless your intake is stupidly high. Then, it turns out, some artificial sweeteners can set off cravings for sweetness that can send you into an ever-increasing spiral of craving something sweet which isn't satisfied by anything but real sugar. But only in excess, such as would be the case if you drink a lot of soda with alternative sweeteners.

So yeah, avoid soda - but not because of some hand-waving nonsense about "artificial chemicals". EVERYTHING is chemical in nature. There is no such thing as an "artificial" chemical.
So, I can't avoid sodas for my own reasons? They have to be someone else's? That's the world we're living in today, I guess.

I said artificial sweeteners. There is such a thing. I never used the words "artificial chemicals." If you want to call what I said pseudo science, that's your right.

I just find it hysterical (in a non-funny way) that people will outright reject some things because "it's not scientific." Then they argue among themselves what real science is and isn't.

What's even more "non-funny" is that it's taken 6 pages of conversation to state the obvious: If you want to lose weight, or be healthy, stop drinking ANY kind of soda. It's not healthy in any way. Period. If you want to drink it, be an adult and own your decision and just drink it and enjoy it! Why look for excuses, permission, and justification? You know it's not healthy in any form it comes in. So, if you like it anyway, just drink it and tell everyone to bugger off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness