U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 PM

4,167 posts, read 5,193,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You could try a light spray of Raid House and Garden spray on your couch. Read the directions and don't sit on it when wet;
If you decide to go this route, I'd spray just underneath first, so you wouldn't be sitting on Raid. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM

10,146 posts, read 8,477,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
If you decide to go this route, I'd spray just underneath first, so you wouldn't be sitting on Raid. Yuck.
Many years ago my job was transferred to another city. I was originally stuck in the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. I had bites all over from sleeping in the bed. I picked up a can of raid house and garden and would spray the sheets just before I left for work and that way I could get a decent night's sleep. I eventually found the problem: the owner, instead of using washing machines; would toss our sheets on the back lawn and hose them off!

I did not have any problems that I know about from using the house and garden spray. But, then, everybody is different. Yes; your suggestion is probably smart until you know if you have any problems with it.

PS I had one more big complaint about that hotel: One night I left a bag of unfinished McDonalds on my night stand. I was woken in the middle of the night when I heard the bag moving. I immediately grabbed the top of the bag and stomped on it to find two dead mice! My reaction to the insecticide was the least of my worries! I only stayed there a short time until I could finally flee!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 1,077 times
Thanks all! The

Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelucy86 View Post
Thanks all! The
Did you catch up with the little buggers?

Old 09-04-2017, 11:24 PM

I still cannot find a single one anywhere, but i have just sprayed my couch with bed bug spray and will test it out for a few days to see if the biting continues. I had a bite after sitting on the floor near the couch before spraying it and after intense scratching a clear liquid was coming out, so i have at least eliminated scabies as a possibIlty. I read bed bugs inject anesthetic and anticoagulant, so it makes the most sense; will see if the spray does the trick! Fingers crossed.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:28 PM

Btw i sprayed underneath the cushions and under the couch so i dont sit on the pesticide! I must have picked these up at some hotel but have never had as bad of an experience with them as you! Ugh mice yuck!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Btw i sprayed underneath the cushions and under the couch so i dont sit on the pesticide! I must have picked these up at some hotel but have never had as bad of an experience with them as you! Ugh mice yuck!
Feel free to get back to us and let us know how your spray worked. I, for one, like to see new posters on our forum. I also like to know if something works or doesn't work. Hope there is no more scratching in your near future!

Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 PM

10,434 posts, read 7,802,400 times
Quote:
I still cannot find a single one anywhere, but i have just sprayed my couch with bed bug spray and will test it out for a few days to see if the biting continues. I had a bite after sitting on the floor near the couch before spraying it and after intense scratching a clear liquid was coming out, so i have at least eliminated scabies as a possibIlty. I read bed bugs inject anesthetic and anticoagulant, so it makes the most sense; will see if the spray does the trick! Fingers crossed.
They could be in your couch but it's more likely you're getting bit in bed at night and getting delayed reactions. Apparently bites can take up to 48 hours to show up. Also it's common to never see a live bed bug because they're nocturnal and really good at hiding.

Search for bed bug sniffing dogs in your area and see if you can get one out to check each room and piece of furniture. It's amazing what animals can do and the dogs are about 98% effective/reliable. If you have them, the exterminator who brings the dog can advise on treatment.

If you've been getting bit for months, you likely have a pretty major issue. Not the worst infestation, but they multiply quick and you have a problem. Some bug spray treatment stuff bought at the store isn't going to help you. They are difficult to kill. You need professional treatment, and look into both heat and freezing techniques.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 PM

333 posts, read 89,946 times
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Exterminators swore we didn't have bed bugs--and we could get bit on the arm just standing in one particular area. Whatever it was was tiny (too small to see) and could fly or jump.

In the end, the exterminator said the bed bug treatment would kill anything. We did the 3x/6-week spray treatment. It was a huge pain--putting all of our clothes, bedding, etc. in garbage bags, taking everything off the walls, pulling all the furniture away from the wall. And living that way for 6 weeks. When they were done, all the walls were streaked with whatever chemicals they were spraying.

But it did kill whatever was biting us. I sort of half wonder if there was something special about the chemical, or if was just that they sprayed so much of it everywhere that they drowned the bugs and their eggs.

I'm not sure you'd get similar results from an aerosol spray that you apply yourself. There's a reason why landlords and hotels don't use them.

Old Today, 11:19 PM

Im pretty sure im not getting bit in bed, i didnt sit on the couch for 2 weeks didnt get bit once, sat on the couch for 2 hours had 2 bites. The spray didnt work, the bites were really small this time though (maybe new young ones that hatched?), normally they are big and very firm. we did another round of spray, going to try again and see. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness