U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 1,077 times

Advertisements

Something has been biting me and my husband for a few months now and we cannoy find any leads on this. There are certain details and patterns that may suggest a culprit, i would appreciate any tips from anyone who has an idea what it could be:

1. The bites are itchy, and welt-like. They last about 1-2 weeks. I dont notice any trend about "bites in row" - we get bit in singles or "clusters" about 50/50.

2. The bites are almost always when we sit on the couch. Usually lower body. Sometimes i notice a bite when im out or when i shower, not sure if i just dont notice them till later or if its associated with my clothing.

3. I suspected bed bugs but recently my husband and i went on a trip, left in the morning didnt sit on the couch that day at all, and noticed new welts in the evening at the hotel. This made me think somehow we transported this thing with us in our suitcase. We came home and my husbad sat on the couch and within 5 min he had a new bite. So, if its bed bugs, why would some bites take 1 day to itch-welt and another take 5 min? If its not ned bugs, then what can it be thats not spreading to other parts of the house?

4. There a squirrel that we feed from time to time on the patio. Not sure, may or may not be related.

Please help, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 PM

37,120 posts, read 40,116,440 times
Cooties/louse/chiggers, could be anyone of these
Cooties | Define Cooties at Dictionary.com

Louse | Define Louse at Dictionary.com

http://www.healthline.com/health/chi...ites?tre=false

Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Are these locational though? We get bit 90% only on the couch.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM

4,696 posts, read 1,731,329 times
Get a strong flashlight and examine every inch of the couch. Sounds like bed bugs. Maybe fleas? You can get rid of fleas much easier than bed bugs. I examine my hotel room before I bring my luggage in the room.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 PM

4,167 posts, read 5,193,500 times
Do you have pets in the house?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 PM

623 posts, read 505,590 times
bed bugs.

they bite in the early AM when you are in REM sleep. you won't see them or feel them biting you.

the bites start to itch usually after a shower because you have washed that area and produced a histamine reaction from cleansers.

more often than not they live in the box spring, but if your blankets touch the floor they can crawl right up.

most likely not your couch as bedbugs won't bite when you are awake. they don't want to be seen or noticed.

they are very fast as adults, and very good at hiding.

fleas do like to live in couches, but their bites don't leave welt's like a bed bug, and you will actually feel a flea bite as it happens because they don't inject an anti coagulant when they bite like bed bugs do.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM

621 posts, read 1,297,304 times
This thread might help: Something keeps biting me and I don't know what it is

Old 08-29-2017, 05:41 PM

4,893 posts, read 11,528,457 times
Do you have pets? You may have fleas!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 PM

No pets- if we had fleas wouldnt they not spread easily to other parts of the house? Still gettint bit only on the couch now; i am not sittint on it and my husband is, within minutes he has bites on him while i remain bite free.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:37 AM

10,146 posts, read 8,477,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelucy86 View Post
No pets- if we had fleas wouldnt they not spread easily to other parts of the house? Still gettint bit only on the couch now; i am not sittint on it and my husband is, within minutes he has bites on him while i remain bite free.
You could try a light spray of Raid House and Garden spray on your couch. Read the directions and don't sit on it when wet; let it dry out and air out for hours. A good time to spray would be just before you leave to go to work. It might not work on what is biting you; but it could eliminate some of the possibilities (like silverfish). If your sofa is on a rug you might want to consider a light spray on the carpet.

You also might try one of the household insect foggers that you can buy at almost any store and do the same with that: spray before you leave for work when there is nobody in your house. Read the directions and keep your pets safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness