Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

My husband is the same. Exercised his entire life, eats a healthy diet, still has high cholesterol.

Exercise and a healthy diet is a great defense for lots of ailments and it has so many life improving components. But it is not 100% effective over high bad cholesterol, HBP, and artery blockage. To think it does is being very naive and also a little dickish, as if to say, 'If you did what I have been doing you would never have this problem'.
It is possible to have heart disease and high cholesterol because of a genetic defect. The most common causes are either smoking or metabolic syndrome, but genetics is the cause in a small minority of patients.

For the great majority, lifestyle is the cause and the cure. For a small minority, cholesterol lowering drugs are needed.

When you cite individual cases as evidence that drugs are often needed, you are being very unscientific.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is possible to have heart disease and high cholesterol because of a genetic defect. The most common causes are either smoking or metabolic syndrome, but genetics is the cause in a small minority of patients.

For the great majority, lifestyle is the cause and the cure. For a small minority, cholesterol lowering drugs are needed.

When you cite individual cases as evidence that drugs are often needed, you are being very unscientific.
Frustratingly, I can't find a list of risk factors in order. Here's one a good link I did fine, separated into modifiable and non-modifiable:
https://www.getroman.com/romanhood/heart-disease/
"Let’s start with the bad news first: There’s nothing you can do about three of the biggest risk factors for heart disease. Your age, family history, and even your gender are all strong risk factors for cardiovascular disease."

Of course, people like to believe that they are not going to get heart disease b/c they "eat right, exercise, don't smoke", etc.

If you have different information, please post it.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:07 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:

From NIH:
We estimate that every cigerette smoked per day increases the risk of dying from IHD by as much as 35% at ages 35 to 44, reducing to 2% at ages 65 to 74. The risk attributable to smoking may account for more than 80% of IHD deaths of men aged 35 to 44, and 27% of those of men aged 45 to 64. Although the relative risk is highest for younger age groups, the absolute risk of death from IHD that is attributable to smoking increases with age. The evidence suggests that both are increasing with time.

Thats for smoking.
If you go to the cdc they say that secondhand smoke is the cause of heart disease in nonsmokers. And a cause of stroke aswell.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
From NIH:
We estimate that every cigerette smoked per day increases the risk of dying from IHD by as much as 35% at ages 35 to 44, reducing to 2% at ages 65 to 74. The risk attributable to smoking may account for more than 80% of IHD deaths of men aged 35 to 44, and 27% of those of men aged 45 to 64. Although the relative risk is highest for younger age groups, the absolute risk of death from IHD that is attributable to smoking increases with age. The evidence suggests that both are increasing with time.

Thats for smoking.
If you go to the cdc they say that secondhand smoke is the cause of heart disease in nonsmokers. And a cause of stroke aswell.
Could you post an actual link? I'd like to read it myself.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Could you post an actual link? I'd like to read it myself.
Try this one. Its not the one I copied but it says the same thing. I assume you want the info about second hand smoke and heart disease.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0307123957.htm

Old 06-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Theres also this fact sheet from cdc
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...ects/index.htm

Lots out there.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:26 PM

Thanks. Got involved in a scrapbooking project and just checked back. Will look at them.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Frustratingly, I can't find a list of risk factors in order. Here's one a good link I did fine, separated into modifiable and non-modifiable:
https://www.getroman.com/romanhood/heart-disease/
"Let’s start with the bad news first: There’s nothing you can do about three of the biggest risk factors for heart disease. Your age, family history, and even your gender are all strong risk factors for cardiovascular disease."

Of course, people like to believe that they are not going to get heart disease b/c they "eat right, exercise, don't smoke", etc.

If you have different information, please post it.
This says lifestyle is more important https://www.northwestern.edu/newscen...t-disease.html

It is known that metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes, are very common causes of heart disease. And they are mostly caused by lifestyle.

We also know that when people immigrate to industrialized countries they start getting heart disease.

It is common now days for doctors to blame genetics, because then drugs are inevitable.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
This says lifestyle is more important https://www.northwestern.edu/newscen...t-disease.html

It is known that metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes, are very common causes of heart disease. And they are mostly caused by lifestyle.

We also know that when people immigrate to industrialized countries they start getting heart disease.

It is common now days for doctors to blame genetics, because then drugs are inevitable.
It's "interesting". This was from 2010. Here is an article from 6 years later: https://health.spectator.co.uk/heart...st-answer-yet/
"In other words, the risk of a serious cardiovascular event in the highest genetic risk group was about twice as high as in the lowest risk group. . . Using the same three cohorts of patients, the study showed that adopting at least three out of four healthy lifestyle characteristics (non-obese, physical exercise, not smoking, ‘healthy’ diet) was associated with risk reduction of about 50 per cent. . . This is an important study. Not only does it give a good insight into risk stratification according to variations across the whole genome, but it also highlights opportunities to modify dramatically the risks that we are born with."

IOW, lifestyle can lower your risk, but genes also play a role.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:

The pot calling the kettle black! I don't have the time to go through all your threads where you cite the weakest anecdotal evidence, including your OWN situation as being convincing evidence of your medical BELIEFS. You can't have it both ways so figure it out lady.

Last edited by reneeh63; 06-30-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness