Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 10:14 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times

Advertisements

Boy, this thread depressed the he'll out of me. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:41 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is possible to have heart disease and high cholesterol because of a genetic defect. The most common causes are either smoking or metabolic syndrome, but genetics is the cause in a small minority of patients.

For the great majority, lifestyle is the cause and the cure. For a small minority, cholesterol lowering drugs are needed.

When you cite individual cases as evidence that drugs are often needed, you are being very unscientific.
When you continually make the same erroneous claims regarding the relative weight of "genetics" to "lifestyle" and the same falsehood about "small minority" need cholesterol lowering drugs....

To continually cite these OPINIONS of yours without a shred of "scientific evidence" to back these OPINIONS it is beyond ludicrous for you to comment on someone else being "unscientific"

There is NOTHING scientific about the opinions you recite without supporting evidence....opinions that are in fact proven FALSE with scientific data...

Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Boy, this thread depressed the he'll out of me. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Why? Realizing that cholesterol isn't the issue allows you to both get off drugs and to explore what DOES work. There are plenty of good ideas on the internet.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
When you continually make the same erroneous claims regarding the relative weight of "genetics" to "lifestyle" and the same falsehood about "small minority" need cholesterol lowering drugs....

To continually cite these OPINIONS of yours without a shred of "scientific evidence" to back these OPINIONS it is beyond ludicrous for you to comment on someone else being "unscientific"

There is NOTHING scientific about the opinions you recite without supporting evidence....opinions that are in fact proven FALSE with scientific data...
I can't rep you anymore - so

Old 07-01-2018, 10:34 AM

8,229 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

I have already posted links about this. It is so well known, I didn't think I had to post more and more links.

I have said, repeatedly, that genetics is involved in most diseases, but so are environmental and lifestyle factors.

With heart disease, lifestyle factors are usually more important. Not 100% of the time, but usually. And even if someone has a genetic tendency for heart disease, lifestyle is still extremely important.

When people emphasize genetics, they are usually trying to minimize the role of lifestyle and exaggerate the need for drugs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/h...udy-finds.html

Old 07-01-2018, 10:50 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
I have already posted links about this. It is so well known, I didn't think I had to post more and more links.

I have said, repeatedly, that genetics is involved in most diseases, but so are environmental and lifestyle factors.

With heart disease, lifestyle factors are usually more important. Not 100% of the time, but usually. And even if someone has a genetic tendency for heart disease, lifestyle is still extremely important.

When people emphasize genetics, they are usually trying to minimize the role of lifestyle and exaggerate the need for drugs.

Certainly, because for THOSE people they HAVE to rely on drugs if their good lifestyle has still resulted in the condition we're discussing.

You can talk about everyone ELSE, but when people come on here and cite the genetics link for their own or a loved one's condition, THAT is what they are focused on. Not your abstract discussion of what OTHERS need to do.

And no - don't be lazy and fall back on "it's so well known" - maybe it is or maybe it isn't but you seem so amazed that people don't know what you're talking about maybe you better 'splain it to them with the FACTS to back it up. That would save us all a lot of trouble and save you some exasperation.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:35 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

Did you read your own link? It says half the risk is genetic. From the link:

"The results, he said, should quell the cries of both those who emphasize genes above all and those who emphasize elements of lifestyle above all. 'It’s not nature or nurture, it’s both,' he said."

Since lifestyle changes are the foundation of treatment of lipid disorders, no one is minimizing them, and doctors do not put people on drugs without discussing those changes.

It does not matter, though. If lifestyle changes do not control abnormal lipids, medication can help, whether the lack of control is due to failure to make lifestyle changes or in spite of them.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I take Colestid for some ibs issues (off label), but it’s actually a very old cholesterol medicine. It works by absorbing bile acids. I have no idea how effective it is compared to statins though.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
After bypass surgery over 25 years ago, my CHD was off the charts.

25 years of statins (starting with Mevacor, then Lipitor and now Crestor and Zetia) my numbers are great.

I'll stick with statins, they saved my life, thank you!

Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
After bypass surgery over 25 years ago, my CHD was off the charts.

25 years of statins (starting with Mevacor, then Lipitor and now Crestor and Zetia) my numbers are great.

I'll stick with statins, they saved my life, thank you!
Statins nearly destroyed my life. And 20 yrs later I'm still waiting to have that heart attack they said was imminent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness