U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM

763 posts, read 369,624 times

Advertisements

You know how in general we don't pay a lot of attention to something if it's not in our world? I never paid attention to the opioid discussion until I had sciatica last year. That was a whole new universe. The pain pills the doctor prescribed did nothing whatsoever to alleviate the pain. Talking about ibuprofen and gabapentin. When I told him they weren't working he said up the dosage. I took more of them more often and still no relief. Then a few things happened all at once. A friend gave me some of her vicodin and they helped much more than what the doctor had prescribed. At the same time, I asked the doctor for a referral to physical therapy. Got an appt for the following week. Then the pain thankfully stopped on its own the day before the appointment. After four months. Something's waaay wrong with this whole scenario and I've learned it's being repeated all over the country every day and night. Now with Congress doing various irrational and hysterical things to "combat the opioid crisis" my thought is if a person is not currently on pain medication but thinks they just might need some in the future they better find a way to get a hefty supply now and hoard it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM

2,091 posts, read 847,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialia View Post
you know how in general we don't pay a lot of attention to something if it's not in our world? I never paid attention to the opioid discussion until i had sciatica last year. That was a whole new universe. The pain pills the doctor prescribed did nothing whatsoever to alleviate the pain. Talking about ibuprofen and gabapentin. When i told him they weren't working he said up the dosage. I took more of them more often and still no relief. Then a few things happened all at once. A friend gave me some of her vicodin and they helped much more than what the doctor had prescribed. At the same time, i asked the doctor for a referral to physical therapy. Got an appt for the following week. Then the pain thankfully stopped on its own the day before the appointment. After four months. Something's waaay wrong with this whole scenario and i've learned it's being repeated all over the country every day and night. Now with congress doing various irrational and hysterical things to "combat the opioid crisis" my thought is if a person is not currently on pain medication but thinks they just might need some in the future they better find a way to get a hefty supply now and hoard it.
+1.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:52 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,085,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I don't need opioids but I know people in chronic pain who do need them. They need opioids as much as the diabetic needs insulin but there is a ridiculous stigma against opioids. That stigma causes so many problems in obtaining the medication in sufficient dosage and quantity plus the trouble finding a pharmacy that will fill the Rx.

My friend was hit by a car, thrown into the air 20 ft and is lucky to be alive. On discharge from the hospital was given Rx for an opiod. I had to go to 7 different pharmacies before I found one that would fill the Rx. They all claimed they were out of the drug. Only one had a partial quantity but said it is illegal for them to partially fill an Rx for opiods. Crazy. Meanwhile my friend was suffering in pain waiting for me to return with medication. I finally tried a Rite Aid which filled it no questions asked.

Time to drop the stigma and let people in pain have some relief.
If you say you are on opiates people assume the worst. My pharmacy gave me a sideways glance when my doctor gave me a prescription for 90 Vicodin. She felt comfortable giving me that many because she felt that I was not abusing them and she was right. The pharmacy called me and said my insurance would not cover the 90. I said thats fine, fill it and I will pay for them - generic Vicodin is cheap. When I went to pick them up I felt like I was being looked at as an addict.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM

10,534 posts, read 17,842,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
How can you be on a drug for 10 years and say you are not addicted?
I have a dear friend who had knee pain for years, well over 10....took Vicodin for it. Sometimes like the Vicoden was Chiklets.

Finally had his knee replacements. A few weeks later...no more pain, no more pills. And no withdrawal symptoms.

Look term use doesn't mean addiction. It does happen, but it's not a given.

And while this example is anecdotal, I know a lot more people who used pain pills long term and weren't addicted.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:44 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,369,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
And the problem with Opioids such as Vicodin is your body does build a tolerance to it, so over time they become less effective which in turn then requires a higher dosage. That's the problem with Opioids. Anyone who thinks their not addicting are fooling themselves.
I have a cousin who has taken Tramadol for years, a low dosage, every day. For some reason she has not had to up the dosage for it to keep working. I don't know why that is, but it is.

I wonder if the OP, CaliforniaGal, has ever had to up the dosage to keep the same pain relief in effect? OP?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:05 PM

664 posts, read 250,713 times
Default A bunch of idiots ruined it for everyone

Back before pill mils, snorting Oxycontin, and fentanyl overdoses, going to the dentist was a dreaded but necessary chore.

It had one saving grace - the leftover Vicodin or Percocet that you'd have after a few days of moderate pain from having your face drilled into. The dentists probably knew that you didn't need a week's supply when they whipped out the prescription pad.

Some of them probably did it knowing that their patients would be more likely to return if there was a little reward at the end of a procedure. Who didn't enjoy saving a couple Vicodin for after their jaw wasn't throbbing with pain?

I used them for when I was going to tackle a big project like painting the house. It made mundane chores like that very tolerable. You could work all day and eat very little, you didn't feel any nagging aches and pains. A wonder drug if there ever was one.

It seems like a good thing was ruined by a bunch of irresponsible people, companies, and regulators. Now people who really need it have to jump through more hoops.

And going to the dentist isn't as much fun as it used to be!

Last edited by A1eutian; 08-30-2017 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 12:37 AM

21,107 posts, read 13,943,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have a cousin who has taken Tramadol for years, a low dosage, every day. For some reason she has not had to up the dosage for it to keep working. I don't know why that is, but it is.

I wonder if the OP, CaliforniaGal, has ever had to up the dosage to keep the same pain relief in effect? OP?
You don't usually get tolerance with tramadol, it's one of the reasons it's used for long term
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 08-31-2017, 08:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 701,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
How can you be on a drug for 10 years and say you are not addicted?
Addiction is where you need more and more psychologically not physically.

My husband was on an opioid for back pain for 20+years. Turns out he had bad arthritis in his neck and it was radiating to his back. He went on Tylenol with something (not remembering now) and he sleeps on special pillow. And gets cordisone shots in his neck which he's even trying to avoid them. Now he's fine. No addiction, he is off the opioid, always lived a clean life, no street drugs, alcohol etc. He would take the minimal, taking small bites of the pills and not a whole one.

This really upsets me. That the doctors didn't do more testing before putting him on this product. It took almost 20 years on that horrible drug before a doctor was caring and competent enough to figure out the truth.
Thank God these drugs didn't blow out his liver or something as awful.

It does bother me very much that there are people that need these drugs and aren't getting them. Just heard of one last week. Her BS doctor took her off and told her to deal with it. Now if she goes to someone else it looks like she's doctor shopping.

If I've had surgery, end up using the pills for a day or two. If I still need something it's Tylenol. Don't know how people can take this crap recreationally. Hate the screwed up feeling. If you enjoy it, you probably are an addict.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 08-31-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 AM

161 posts, read 143,636 times
As someone with RSD (for almost 18 years) the whole thing makes me angry. In past years, I was on Fentanyl patches (which helped with the pain, but I still have scarring from the reaction I had to the adhesive in the patch) for almost a year and then on Oxycontin for several years - a small dose 3 times a day that never went up in the years I took it. It never even made me feel different, which I liked, but it also only knocked down the pain 5-10%. When I decided the pain relief from that wasn't worth the cost (no generic when I was on it and insurance wouldn't cover it), I simply went from 3 pills a day to 2 a day for a few days then one a day for a few more days and then none. No problems at all.

It's ridiculous to think that anyone who is on any opioid will become addicted.

I really wish they'd make a pain medication that worked, without any side effects. Then, perhaps we could get the pain relief we desperately need to live our lives as we want to do.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:57 AM

577 posts, read 145,143 times
Why would the drug companies eat into profits by trying to develop a replacement for opioids. They make opioids on the cheap sell high volumes, high profit. The only way they will stop is if a University or federal research, like CDC finds a replacement. Until then it's the drug companies cash cow.

I do understand that not everyone who takes opioids gets horribly addicted and it's a necessity in some pain management. Have heard of nightmares about dying cancer patients not receiving proper pain meds, like morphine, because someone is afraid they will get addicted to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness