U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 AM

19,932 posts, read 13,304,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Why would the drug companies eat into profits by trying to develop a replacement for opioids. They make opioids on the cheap sell high volumes, high profit. The only way they will stop is if a University or federal research, like CDC finds a replacement. Until then it's the drug companies cash cow. .

They have been doing just that since opium was discovered. They keep changing it trying to make it non addictive and still effective.

It started as opium, laundnum, heroin, morphine..... the Rx industry has been trying, just hasn't been very successful.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 AM

61 posts, read 27,584 times
Certain people must be more prone to addiction than others. I have a friend whose son became addicted in high school after having his wisdom teeth pulled yet millions of kids get their wisdom teeth pulled with no issues.

I have a niece who was in a terrible accident 6 yrs ago and given opioids. She deals now with her addiction every day.

My 80 yr old Dad was given opioids for his arthritis and began hallucinating after a couple of days but he was able to wean off of them with no problem.

Opioids help a lot of people, no doubt, but they are very very strong drugs and effect everyone differently - I don't know how you manage that.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:35 PM

4,743 posts, read 2,261,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Certain people must be more prone to addiction than others.
They are, and we're learning more about why. A lot of it (but not all of it) comes down to differences in certain receptor types in the brain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSB#Delta_FosB

The second Wikipedia article is very heavy reading, but here are the crucial paragraphs for this discussion:

"ΔFosB or DeltaFosB is a truncated splice variant of FosB. ΔFosB has been implicated as a critical factor in the development of virtually all forms of behavioral and drug addictions. In the brain's reward system, it is linked to changes in a number of other gene products, such as CREB and sirtuins....

In the nucleus accumbens, ΔFosB functions as a "sustained molecular switch" and "master control protein" in the development of an addiction. In other words, once "turned on" (sufficiently overexpressed) ΔFosB triggers a series of transcription events that ultimately produce an addictive state (i.e., compulsive reward-seeking involving a particular stimulus); this state is sustained for months after cessation of drug use due to the abnormal and exceptionally long half-life of ΔFosB isoforms. ΔFosB expression in D1-type nucleus accumbens medium spiny neurons directly and positively regulates drug self-administration and reward sensitization through positive reinforcement while decreasing sensitivity to aversion. Based upon the accumulated evidence, a medical review from late 2014 argued that accumbal ΔFosB expression can be used as an addiction biomarker and that the degree of accumbal ΔFosB induction by a drug is a metric for how addictive it is relative to others."

Last edited by Aredhel; 08-31-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM

4,167 posts, read 5,199,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

Don't know how people can take this crap recreationally. Hate the screwed up feeling. If you enjoy it, you probably are an addict.
Same here. Who wants to go through life in a fog? Oxycodone did that to my daughter (after wisdom teeth extraction). She had to switch to Tramadol. Good thing I had plenty leftovers, she had it cone on a Friday and both the doctor's office and my local pharmacy were closed over the weekend. The oxy made her very nauseated.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM

4,167 posts, read 5,199,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You don't usually get tolerance with tramadol, it's one of the reasons it's used for long term
Well that's good to know, as it is literally the only pain reliever (besides Tylenol with codeine) that I have ever tried that worked for me.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 PM

577 posts, read 356,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I ask this because I have been on an opioid for 10 yrs. Never abused - always have taken as prescribed and on a low dose. That's 10 years. I function quite well. I choose not to drink and have never been a smoker. I have RSD and Fibromyalgia.

I am so frustrated because I hear horror stories of people like me dealing with legit pain and not able to get their pain medications. Let me back up a bit...I am one of the lucky ones who does get my pain medication here in Southern Calif but there are many who are NOT getting theirs...Have we gone way too far on this Opioid Crisis? Have we forgot the people dealing with real pain that have been diagnosed?

It concerns me a lot and I worry for the folks out there being treated horribly. My pain mgmt doctor is absolutely wonderful. He does have to weed out the drug addicts - street addicts. He spent 18 yrs in the Army and worked at Walter Reed and Landstuhl in Germany. He has seen a lot.

I wonder why the media will not interview people like me who have been on an opioid for years and is still standing. Got to tell you - it makes me angry. 

Perhaps it does not fit their agenda - Drug dealers are lacing Heroin with an Elephant Tranquilizer that is killing young people. It's called carfentanil. So dangerous

I'd like to hear from others.
Agreed the media never talks about this. More people are dying becasue their doctors take them off pills and they switch to heroin, and then OD. But the media talks about it like its all pills. In most other western countries tylenol with codeine is over the counter, and they have no problems. I had a very bad ankle problem for years that I later had surgery on and the doctors would not give me any pain pills for it. I have had other injuries too and the doctors don't even care if your in horrible pain they just tell you to take advil even though it gives me horrible stomach pains and I have had ulcers from it before. Their is 0 compassion in medicine these days. The lawmakers are clueless too. Even though people are dying from laced heroin, instead of going after heroin dealers they go after doctors and make laws against prescribing pain pills.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 PM

652 posts, read 747,292 times
I am in the same boat.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I believe everyone who needs pain medications should get them. Easily and with no hassles. The vast majority of the people are not addicts nor will they ever become addicts. People suffering from intractable pain bothers me much more than the small possibility of addiction.
So true.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you say you are on opiates people assume the worst. My pharmacy gave me a sideways glance when my doctor gave me a prescription for 90 Vicodin. She felt comfortable giving me that many because she felt that I was not abusing them and she was right. The pharmacy called me and said my insurance would not cover the 90. I said thats fine, fill it and I will pay for them - generic Vicodin is cheap. When I went to pick them up I felt like I was being looked at as an addict.
The same thing happened to me, my insurance would not pay for my Vicoin so I told the pharmacy that I will pay out of pocket.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:20 PM

946 posts, read 599,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you say you are on opiates people assume the worst. My pharmacy gave me a sideways glance when my doctor gave me a prescription for 90 Vicodin. She felt comfortable giving me that many because she felt that I was not abusing them and she was right. The pharmacy called me and said my insurance would not cover the 90. I said thats fine, fill it and I will pay for them - generic Vicodin is cheap. When I went to pick them up I felt like I was being looked at as an addict.
Normally when I fill a prescription the pharmacy workers treat it like any other purchase but when I was trying to fill my friend's opiate prescription the pharmacy people were acting so strangely that I started to feel the same way you did. As if they thought I was an addict but the opiates weren't even for me. I imagine if you are treated like an addict every month when you refill the prescription it has to make you feel even worse than the pain you started out to treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness