U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

1,827 posts, read 492,441 times

Advertisements

I'm interested that several of you specifically mentioned yoga.

Do you feel that actual yoga is preferable to specifically formulated back exercises? One problem with yoga is that there seems to be an infinite number of versions of it, including the trendy "mindfulness" kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

7,102 posts, read 2,225,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

Do you feel that actual yoga is preferable to specifically formulated back exercises? One problem with yoga is that there seems to be an infinite number of versions of it, including the trendy "mindfulness" kind.

I think if one can go to a yoga class once-twice a week and do specifics for back issues this is good. Then do some of the stretches at home.. As my back issues have advanced, I do all my back work on the bed.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Status: "Dogs are SO cuddly and Humanlike." (set 23 days ago)

12,880 posts, read 12,876,019 times
Get diagnosed with exactly what is going on and go from there.

I injured my back when young, it was really bad for 2 years after the injury. Got better but never fully recovered.

Old Today, 12:28 AM

856 posts, read 212,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

The trendy mindfulness stuff is also used in pain management. Some people who've had all the drugs and still have pain and need another way use it.

Most ordinary back pain can be helped by strengthening core muscles. If you don't do those kinds of exercises, beginner yoga is a good start because it can loosen up those muscles and give you more range of motion, some strength, and better posture. It's gentler than going to the gym or physical therapy. Yoga is more of a whole body (and sometimes mind) thing and it's relaxing. You can add core-specific exercises and get a lot of benefit.

If your pain is caused by something medical, it's best to go to your doctor first and you can ask about exercise or yoga.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

5,555 posts, read 2,287 times
Don't forget consistent use of anti-inflammatory OTC medications. There are specific exercises as mentioned...many MD offices keep printed copies for patients. Otherwise, ck with your MD for eval.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Most times lower back pain will get better without doing much, as there is not a lot you can do while you are in pain. What you can do when the pain subsides is strengthen your core muscles. Planks are great for that.
I have had lower back pain on and off for a long time, but once I took my PT's advice and worked on strengthening my core I never have lower back pain anymore.
Of course you might have something more serious that does need some medical attention. For now I would ice it. If the pain continues for another week or gets worse, see your doctor.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

19,923 posts, read 13,304,417 times
I guess I use yoga as a general term. I have RA in my lower back and I picked out stretches (yoga) that taret that area and relieve the pain. The pain can radiate to my upper back so I use different stretches for those. I don't go to classes, I do them at home. Pinterst made it easy for me to find options.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness