Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

California has always tried to be a trend-setter in its diverse history. But the new Aid-In-Dying Law passed in 2016 simply is not working as it should. More to the point, hardly any physician wants to participate in it. And the law requires 2 doctors to approve giving you the medicine, which doubles the patient's efforts to overcome the vast hurdles California has put into place to implement it.

Quote:
Aid-In-Dying Requires More Than Just A Law, Californians Find

But finding a doctor willing to prescribe the life-ending drugs isn’t always easy, in part because the state law allows doctors to opt out of prescribing — even when the hospital where they work participates in the law.

The decision to prescribe does not come easily for many physicians.

“Even if they’re in support of aid-in-dying, they don’t necessarily want to be the person identified as the ‘go-to’ person for aid-in-dying.
https://ww2.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2...hows-it-going/

What it boils down to is it's going to be a real struggle to find doctors willing to prescribe the medicine. A patient or their relatives will have to just cold-call every hospital and doctors in the book until they strike gold because if you ask for a referral don't expect anything except,"Sorry I can't help you with that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Key would be finding doctor to assist.

A friend who had just rejected her 3rd kidney transplant (had it 14 yrs), was not up for trying a transplant again and not up to dialysis how many times a week she wold have to go thru it, was able to get her longtime kidney doctor to help her leave this world. She was probably early 60's and left a husband and a lot of good friends...RIP my old friend.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Key would be finding doctor to assist.

A friend who had just rejected her 3rd kidney transplant (had it 14 yrs), was not up for trying a transplant again and not up to dialysis how many times a week she wold have to go thru it, was able to get her longtime kidney doctor to help her leave this world. She was probably early 60's and left a husband and a lot of good friends...RIP my old friend.
I'm sorry for your loss. My stepfather was in kidney failure in the last months of his life; values all over the charts. It's a horrible way to go but in total kidney failure it is usually over in less than 2 weeks. A person should opt for palliative sedation (medicine-induced coma) for those 2 weeks. Dr's just seem to have this thing like they think they've failed if they don't keep the patient alive until they are like this poor woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKhTivNPKg

Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. My stepfather was in kidney failure in the last months of his life; values all over the charts. It's a horrible way to go but in total kidney failure it is usually over in less than 2 weeks. A person should opt for palliative sedation (medicine-induced coma) for those 2 weeks. Dr's just seem to have this thing like they think they've failed if they don't keep the patient alive until they are like this poor woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKhTivNPKg
The video is gone, not that I really wanted to watch it. I was just checking.

I've watched a few people die. All but one was taken care of by a doctor who had known them for years and did what was needed. The novel situation was still very good. Good doctors are good doctors.

My father's family doctor fought to allow my six year old to go and see grandpa in cardiac ICU the day before my father died. My son asked him about the wires, tubes, and the beeping sounds--shortly before he fell asleep next to him on the bed.

I was so thankful for that.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
What it boils down to is it's going to be a real struggle to find doctors willing to prescribe the medicine. A patient or their relatives will have to just cold-call every hospital and doctors in the book until they strike gold because if you ask for a referral don't expect anything except,"Sorry I can't help you with that."
They'll just pass a law that forces doctors to prescribe. Just like they force everyone to perform abortions and prescribe Plan B.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:55 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They'll just pass a law that forces doctors to prescribe. Just like they force everyone to perform abortions and prescribe Plan B.
LOL. that doesn't happen.

and plan B is OTC, no rx needed.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The video is gone, not that I really wanted to watch it. I was just checking.

I've watched a few people die. All but one was taken care of by a doctor who had known them for years and did what was needed. The novel situation was still very good. Good doctors are good doctors.

My father's family doctor fought to allow my six year old to go and see grandpa in cardiac ICU the day before my father died. My son asked him about the wires, tubes, and the beeping sounds--shortly before he fell asleep next to him on the bed.

I was so thankful for that.
No, the video is there. I just clicked on the link.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No they won't.

Oregon's assisted suicide law was passed in 1994, and finally implemented in 1997. That's 20 years. No one has ever proposed forcing doctors to prescribe.

Not that it's relevant to assisted suicide, but Plan B does not require a doctor's prescription. That's the whole point.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:31 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
A patient or their relatives will have to just cold-call every hospital and doctors in the book until they strike gold
Apparently there are doctors out there willing to prescribe, but it doesn't look easy to find one.

"California’s data show that 173 physicians wrote the 191 prescriptions statewide.

A total of 111 people in California took their own lives using lethal prescriptions during the first six months of a law that allows terminally ill people to request life-ending drugs from their doctors, according to data released..."

111 terminally ill patients took their own lives in first 6 months of California right-to-die law - LA Times

Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
California has always tried to be a trend-setter in its diverse history. But the new Aid-In-Dying Law passed in 2016 simply is not working as it should. More to the point, hardly any physician wants to participate in it. And the law requires 2 doctors to approve giving you the medicine, which doubles the patient's efforts to overcome the vast hurdles California has put into place to implement it.

https://ww2.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2...hows-it-going/

Just called PLANNED PARENTHOOD. I am sure they have a list of willing Doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness