U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,487,343 times

Advertisements

Sorry you are having this experience. I too was surprised at how painful the procedure was and my allergic reaction to the medication I was told to use after. I had a rash from my eye to my chin from the eye drops. Apparently, I wasn't far enough under during the procedure and clearly remember trying to yell while they were doing the work which felt like they were digging into my eye with a dull butter knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 AM

78 posts, read 16,045 times
Yeah. Several doctors refused to see me, but the ones that did are younger ones with newer procedures, I think. The old hound dogs stick together.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:39 AM

928 posts, read 232,190 times
Well, I'm looking forward to hearing what the new guy says and I hope your eye is OK.

Heidi60, so sorry about your experience and if KaraZ is like you, maybe her pain is just healing stuff. I assume yours worked out?

Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 2,292,807 times
I wasn't going to comment here but just thinking a friend went thru both recently at Kaiser and she says she's doing good. Did have to get new reading glasses.

I know everyone on other threads talk about what a breeze, easy peasey etc and for me at 79, my eyes are good with eye health supplements I have been using. I was told over 10 yrs ago that my eyes were "cloudy" and today, I still have good eyesight and thank my supps. Surgery is surgery and anything can go wrong. I'm so thankful my eyesight is still very clear and yes I wear distance and reading glasses.

I've preached sunglasses to protect eyes too. I don't go outside without them, cloudy or sunny day. Doesn't matter.

Sorry to hear about your outcome OP and only hope things can get resolved for you.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-06-2017 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM

544 posts, read 462,042 times
OP, I am curious why you had stitches at all. The up to date way to remove small cataracts (and you indicated yours are small) is by laser, which doesn't require general anesthesia or stitches. It sounds as though either your situation is more complicated than you have explained, or your ophthalmologist is using outdated techniques.

I just had both eyes done with the laser procedure, and while the experience wasn't pleasant, it was nothing like what you have described. There was no pain to speak of and my vision instantly improved in each eye right after surgery, though not to 20/20, partly because I had something called a "secondary cataract" which required an additional laser treatment. I mention this because that may be why your vision is still blurry. I was (but not any more!) very myopic & significantly astigmatic. I still have the astigmatism, which my doctor has offered to correct for free (another laser treatment) but I've gotten very used to glasses after all these years and may just stick with them.

Anyhow, IMO you need to see another ophthalmologist who will at least consider laser surgery. Good luck & please report the outcome of your second opinion!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Sorry you are having this experience. I too was surprised at how painful the procedure was and my allergic reaction to the medication I was told to use after. I had a rash from my eye to my chin from the eye drops. Apparently, I wasn't far enough under during the procedure and clearly remember trying to yell while they were doing the work which felt like they were digging into my eye with a dull butter knife.
OMG, how horrible for you.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 AM

I don't know about laser surgery. I have histoplasmosis so may not be possible. I'll follow up, good news or bad.

I do think he used outdated techniques.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:29 PM

19,039 posts, read 7,471,224 times
Do they knock you out for this? I can't imagine holding still while someone's coming at my eye with a knife or a laser. My eye doc told me I have cataracts but they are small and 'not mature'. I have no idea how long it takes for them to 'mature', is it years or months?

Old 09-06-2017, 03:35 PM

2,775 posts, read 497,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do they knock you out for this? I can't imagine holding still while someone's coming at my eye with a knife or a laser. My eye doc told me I have cataracts but they are small and 'not mature'. I have no idea how long it takes for them to 'mature', is it years or months?
Years! I was dx with cataracts about 10 years ago & they are still small.

Op I hope the new dr will be more modern & that things go well for you.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 5,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've been told that nearly everyone gets cataracts as they get older, but in many people they never get big enough or interfere with the vision so much that they need to be removed.

The criteria for cataract surgery is generally when the cataracts interfere with vision, and the vision loss cannot be corrected by corrective lenses. If you are lucky you may never get there. My husband has had small cataracts for years, but has always been told he doesn't need surgery.

Just speculation on my part, of course, but I have to wonder if the OP's cataracts were described as "small", her surgery was really indicated at all-unless, of course, those cataracts interfered with her vision and couldn't be corrected with glasses or other corrective lenses. If that surgery wasn't really indicated, that would make her post-surgery problems really a piZZer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness