U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 AM

10,369 posts, read 8,780,781 times

Advertisements

I like to follow threads on cataract surgery. The structure, that would support any new lens, is damaged in my left eye from a little fishhook accident about fifteen years ago. You can actually click on my name and see a picture taken by my surgeon before he removed the hook. My surgeon thought that I would develop a cataract almost immediately within the first few years; but I have been very luck. I have cataracts in both eyes; but they are small and not ready to be removed.

What I really liked about my surgeon was that he had great bedside manner, was upbeat, and talked a wicked fishing trip. Now he is partially retired and I worry, that by the time my cataracts are ready to be removed; that he will be fully retired and out in his waders on some backwoods river!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM

141 posts, read 37,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I like to follow threads on cataract surgery. The structure, that would support any new lens, is damaged in my left eye from a little fishhook accident about fifteen years ago. You can actually click on my name and see a picture taken by my surgeon before he removed the hook. My surgeon thought that I would develop a cataract almost immediately within the first few years; but I have been very luck. I have cataracts in both eyes; but they are small and not ready to be removed.

What I really liked about my surgeon was that he had great bedside manner, was upbeat, and talked a wicked fishing trip. Now he is partially retired and I worry, that by the time my cataracts are ready to be removed; that he will be fully retired and out in his waders on some backwoods river!
Imagine how the fish feel.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Imagine how the fish feel.
That day I caught two trout and the third one caught one sucker! The first hospital my fishing partner took me to put a patch over my eye so I would not make the rest of the patients sick. I am glad they did because I ended up with a great surgeon that also loved to fish! My recuperation was the best; I had three months off to go fishing!

But I do worry about the day I might have to get my cataracts done! Glad you have a better surgeon and that you are recuperating; does your surgeon fish?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM

1,264 posts, read 340,148 times
Quote:

I am so sorry I clicked to see that picture. Wow. I hope they can work something out for you if the time comes.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I am so sorry I clicked to see that picture. Wow. I hope they can work something out for you if the time comes.
I fortunately had a great surgeon. For the first thirteen years I did not even have to wear glasses and I have a Class A CDL (although I am retired from trucking). My left eye is permanently dilated and pupil slightly off center. I had that hook in my eye for seven hours because the one hospital would not operate on me and sent me half way across our state. But I was glad they did because I received excellent care. Like the OP's experience; you want surgeons that talk you through your problems and explain all the consequences. My surgeon, even though he is partially retired and I now see doctors locally; still called me to see how I am doing. How many patients have doctors that even remember our names? Most of them will not talk to us until they sit down at the computer where the nurse already brought up our records (then they can read our names).

So far the doctors tell me I do not need the operation now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 AM

1,264 posts, read 340,148 times
Fingers crossed it stays that way for you. I think you paid your dues eye-wise. And I agree, that trip across the state was worth it for better care. Eyes are pretty valuable.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM

30,882 posts, read 35,019,562 times
Quote:
new lens, is damaged in my left eye from a little fishhook accident about fifteen years ago. You can actually click on my name and see a picture taken by my surgeon before he removed the hook.
Some pictures are better left unseen ,

Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some pictures are better left unseen ,
Yes; but I am sure you will think twice about wearing sunglasses when fishing or around fishermen!

Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,526,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Follow-up: My eye feels better. Evaluation appointment two weeks. The new doc said they would do the right eye, when the time comes, by surgery when I'm awake. Shot in the arm, body prone on back, sheet over all. My only job will be to focus on a light. Doc said I was a good patient and would not have any trouble.

So, long term, each eye will have been done with a different procedure. He said that while in the past my very football shaped eyes had me wearing glasses for distance and no glasses close up reading, the cataract surgery will reverse that. I read a great deal so I don't know how that will work for me, but there's no choice I guess.

I was courteous and cancelled the other doctor's appointment. That doc called me prior to that, and that long space of dead silence from him was evidenced over the phone. I just don't like that.
I think you do have a choice. I'm the same way (don't need reading glasses but need them for distance vision) and I was told that when it comes time for me to have my surgery, I can choose to have my vision corrected to see close or to see far. My doctor did say that not all doctors will correct for close vision. Apparently, it's more common to correct for far vision and use reading glasses. He also said that I could have one eye done for close and one eye corrected for far.

Good luck with your second surgery.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM

141 posts, read 37,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I think you do have a choice. I'm the same way (don't need reading glasses but need them for distance vision) and I was told that when it comes time for me to have my surgery, I can choose to have my vision corrected to see close or to see far. My doctor did say that not all doctors will correct for close vision. Apparently, it's more common to correct for far vision and use reading glasses. He also said that I could have one eye done for close and one eye corrected for far.

Good luck with your second surgery.
My assistant said I had a choice, too (she did), but one was not offered to me by either doctor. I'll mention it when I see them, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness